• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light, Strong, Affordable rail?

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
OK,
So I'm planning up my affordable precision build, and I'm kind of stuck on the rail. Now, I don't need picatinny this or that, just free float 15", robust, light, and affordable. So, this brings me to the following choices....

MI SS G2....always liked the look. Have heard good things.
Nordic slotted...Nordic makes good stuff
Lancer
VTAC Alpha
Seekins SP3R

Now the last three are at the high end of what I would like to pay. Anyone have any experience with the Nordic HG? At that price they almost seem too good to be true.

Not the lightest but the Nordic is pretty solid to me. I am using it with their 22 upper though. The MI is light and I like it too but it doesn't seem as solid as the Nordic. I wouldn't call the other 3 affordable excepting finding a good deal on the VTAC. Though the Troy VTAC would be my least favorite on the list. Ironically, I like the JP VTAC a lot but at best it weighs about as much as the Nordic and possibly the Seekins (no experience with Seekins though but have tried the others.

I really like the MI gen2 SS 15" I have on my Recce rifle. I have yet to find one I like better, at least in the sub $200 price range. I also am liking my Samson/Rainier evo really well too, it's a nice piece in the same price range as the MI, though not quite as light, but close.

free float 15", robust, light, and affordable. None of them go together, an 11" is going to be lighter, stiffer, & maybe less money. Robust to me means big, massive.

Well everything is relative, obviously a shorter one would be lighter but he means light for 15" I would assume.

free float 15", robust, light, and affordable. None of them go together, an 11" is going to be lighter, stiffer, & maybe less money. Robust to me means big, massive.

Robust to me = strong and solidly built. Anyway, I should have specified that it's going over an 18" barrel. That being the case an 11" rail would look ...well...retarded.

If your barrel is medium or light contour I would give Strike Industries' Megafins a serious look. A 9oz keymod at $129 definitely takes the "best value" award for me. The MI SS Gen2 is a great value as well, but I would suggest thinking about the Noveske 16.7" NSR. I just put one on a 6.5G I just finished and it's worth every penny of the $60 more you're paying over the MI....

White Oak makes a 14" tube that is stiff and not too heavy. Might be worth a look.

Although it's really pushing the "affordable" part, anyone check out the SLR Rifleworks Solo Lite 3-Gun rail? Looks pretty sweet...8oz.

MI or Samson Evolution series, nice part the Samsons have anti-rotation tabs on the top. if it matters to you

Nordic on the inexpensive end, Seekins on the high end. I have both and both work very well.

I've got two Midwest SS G2s on two of my builds, a 13 and 9 incher. I like both of them. Solid, light, versatile, and feel good.

Noveske NSR Keymod I just had the 15" installed on a new upper it weighs 11 oz.

Any thoughts on a regular15 inch Troy Alpha rail? I have a 13 inch on a 14.5 inch carbine. Not super light but still not as heavy as some, anti-rotation tab, super easy to install and balances really well. It has been bumped a few times and didn't even scratch. If you shop around or qualify for a mil/l.e. discount you can get the 15" for around $175-$195. Just a thought.

Any thoughts on a regular15 inch Troy Alpha rail? I have a 13 inch on a 14.5 inch carbine. Not super light but still not as heavy as some, anti-rotation tab, super easy to install and balances really well. It has been bumped a few times and didn't even scratch. If you shop around or qualify for a mil/l.e. discount you can get the 15" for around $175-$195. Just a thought.

I won't own Troy products

MI or Samson Evolution series, nice part the Samsons have anti-rotation tabs on the top. if it matters to you

I just got my first Samson Evolution 15" rail, and have been extremely satisfied with it. You can also bolt accessory rails into the "S" cuts, and there is a Keymod version out, now.

I really like it compared to my other "Clamp On" rails.

I respect you for standing up to your beliefs.

However I find it very flawed. Imagine all the products you have purchased since you had your own hard earned money to spend. Now think about all those things that were made by union shops, shipped on union trucks, handled or made by who knows how many anti-gun employees. Oh don't forget your car or truck!

Please don't mistake my post for defending Troy or their decisions, I am not. But at what point is it time to boycott a company? In my opinion boycotting one without the rest is sort of hypocritical.