• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light weight 223 buy or build?

Kubitza123

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2012
Central Texas near Waco
Looking to buy or build a fairly light weight and short .223 bolt action for spotlight hunting from my truck.

I do want a accurate gun. Any particular models i should be looking at? Looked at a Kimber SVT 8 lbs with a 18" barrel.

Any factory ideas would be good or build ideas.

Carbon 16-18" barrel or titanium action worth the weight savings.
What stock would you get ? Don't want to have just a ton of money if i build it so if i scratch it it won't be the end of the world etc.

Or a factory option and anyways to lighten it up?

Re: Light weight 223 buy or build?

If 8lbs satisfies you I wouldn't dump too much $$ in it. You can get pretty much any factory 223 under 8lbs after chopping the barrel that short.

IMO you can't beat the new vanguard S2's for an out of the box rifle. Cut to 18" it should weigh 6.5-7lbs.

I would try a Tikka T3 and cut the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would try a Tikka T3 and cut the barrel. </div></div> Even though I'm selling a custom lightweight bolt gun in .223, I would recommend this.

If want to go with the custom route then let me know.

Think i may go with a Remington stainless 700 mil-spec in 223. Then send it to have the bolt fluted and barrel and have it taken from a 20 to a 16 or 18" and that should put it around 7.5lbs and have a tactical knob installed.

Should be fairly light and a tack driver.

That or maybe one of those Weatherby's

tc venture predator

+1 for the Tikka T3 and have me flute the bolt. Couldn't resist.
laugh.gif

Regards,
Paul

Another vote for the Tikka T3. Great .223

Current synthetic-stocked Model 7 is probably the way to go.

Mines a 700 action with a 21" Pac Nor 8 twist 3 groove rem mtn contour in a first gen rem Ti stock. I'm in it maybe a little over $1000 but it works and I was able to pick the twist I wanted. It'll shoot the 75's and still shoots 50's great too. It weighs just under 6 pounds bare and just under 7 with the talley lightweights and weaver 3-10x40 mil dot tactical midway scope it, 21" barrel balances nice and is still truck friendly.

Bb

The Tikkas have a 1in8 twist. For a truck gun they're tough to beat. What is, "just a ton" of money to you? I wouldn't spend over 500 for that type of rifle.

FYI - Sportsman Warehouse has a special build Tikka T3. It's called their Superlite. I believe it's a 223 Lite, factory fluted, and chopped to 21.5" I believe retail is 699.

Hard to beat an off the shelf Kimber Montana with 1:9 twist. Most will handle AMAX 75's.