• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Light Weight Varmint Rifle

69icarus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Bismarck, ND
I have several heavy varmint guns... I'm looking to build a light weight varmit gun on a rem 700SA. Not sure the caliber yet but it will be around that .223AI or .243 range. My question.... What contour barrel would you use for this set up and would you flute it as well? I plan to put the barreled action into a McMillan varmint with the edge fill.

Re: Light Weight Varmint Rifle

Depends. I would use a very different contour for a coyote gun vs a prairie dog gun.

Sounds like a pretty good plan so far. We have similar tastes in stocks. Here's the specs on my New Lightweight .223 Build. Got the action. Waiting on the stock and barrel.
-Surgeon RSR w/ Aluminum scope base
-Surgeon Bottom Metal
-McMillan A1-3 in "Edge" Construction
-Brux 8-twist SS #16 Light Palma contour heavily fluted to finish at 18.5 inches
-Shilen trigger
-AAC Ranger II Suppressor
-Seekins Rings
-SWFA SS 5-20 HD or maybe 4-16 Viper PST to save weight (have both in hand)

My version of a light tactical;

Remington 700 short-action
223 Remington, throated for 80g VLDs
Light Palma contoured Bartlein finished @ 18.0"
McMillan A3 Edge

I skipped the barrel fluting as I decided the additional weight savings was very, very minimal for the amount of money spent. Besides, with lighter contours, fluting depth becomes very critical as to avoid altering bore quality.

I also learned during this build that McMillan Edge stocks cannot be had with molded-in colors. They only offer them with paint. Edge stock are also not available with McMillan's optional buttstock spacers. Lastly, you cannot cross-drill the buttstock for a cheek-piece as it will void the warranty. In short, make sure you're completely happy with your LOP and cheek weld before you order.

I also learned that a heavy tactical scope in the 30 ounce range feels <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">really heavy</span></span> on a setup such as this. My recommendation is to try and find a lighter scope that weighs in the 20 ounce range. Leupold Mark 4s and Bushnell Elite Tacticals are good choices.

Picture003-3.jpg

.243 is a poor choice for a LW varmint gun.

I would consider the .204 Ruger. Very, very little recoil, even with a mid-weight barrel you should be able to spot your own kills.

I've had it in my head to build a LW varmint rifle at some point. My idea was a #4 contour finished at 22", .204 Ruger, 1:9" twist, and a Manners MCS-SL. I have more or less abandoned the idea for the time being because I've been spending very little time varmint hunting on the move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My version of a light tactical;

Remington 700 short-action
223 Remington, throated for 80g VLDs
Light Palma contoured Bartlein finished @ 18.0"
McMillan A3 Edge

I skipped the barrel fluting as I decided the additional weight savings was very, very minimal for the amount of money spent. Besides, with lighter contours, fluting depth becomes very critical as to avoid altering bore quality.

I also learned during this build that McMillan Edge stocks cannot be had with molded-in colors. They only offer them with paint. Edge stock are also not available with McMillan's optional buttstock spacers. Lastly, you cannot cross-drill the buttstock for a cheek-piece as it will void the warranty. In short, make sure you're completely happy with your LOP and cheek weld before you order.

I also learned that a heavy tactical scope in the 30 ounce range feels <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">really heavy</span></span> on a setup such as this. My recommendation is to try and find a lighter scope that weighs in the 20 ounce range. Leupold Mark 4s and Bushnell Elite Tacticals are good choices.

Picture003-3.jpg
</div></div>

That's a nice rifle. What's the weight w/o scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stu6X47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several heavy varmint guns... I'm looking to build a light weight varmit gun on a rem 700SA. Not sure the caliber yet but it will be around that .223AI or .243 range. My question.... What contour barrel would you use for this set up and would you flute it as well? I plan to put the barreled action into a McMillan varmint with the edge fill. </div></div>

Would a fast twist Kimber Montana 223AI do it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That's a nice rifle. What's the weight w/o scope? </div></div>

Thank you.

It comes in just under 9 pounds without scope.

Here is my 223AI, I dont have to pack a rifle very far where I get to hunt so weight isnt as much of a issue and I like the way heavier rifle ride sticks.

Going with bdl bottom metal, ligher scope and another 2" off of the barrel would drop a conisderable amount of weight.

Stiller tac30
Manners T3 Mini chassis
Kreiger 1:8 22"
SWFA SS 5-20

DSCN0168.jpg

I keep hearing of the chambering all they really all that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep hearing of the chambering all they really all that? </div></div>

If you must have an AI, 223 is one of the easiest.

Define lights out. Bullet,speed,engagement distances? Thank you.