• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lighte weight tactical stock

2Shots

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2011
So Indiana
Ok boys. What are the choices in stocks for a lighter weight rig. I have an A3, A4, A5 and a T3 manners. Like them all, but I want to build a lighter weight rig. What is the stock of choice?

Re: Lighte weight tactical stock

Pick your style and just order carbon shell. Manners calls it carbon shell...McMillan calls it carbon edge.

So the outside is a carbon fiber and a foam or lightweight fill?
Good, thanks!

They use carbon fiber in place of some of the glass from what I understand. Mine have been durable and they knock off several ounces.

There’s a bit more to it. Certain models will be lighter than others due to size. An HTG will be significantly lighter than an A4 regardless of fill choice.

Some models also benefit more from the carbon fibre and fill than others. Again, an HTG can be made extremely light. Whereas, there are typically only a few ounces difference in a standard fill A1-3 and an Edge model.

Consider also that light fills can be a waste of money. For example, McMillan uses a heavier fill in areas with flush cups or rails. So if you want a front rail and six flush cups, better to go standard than pay for Edge and have half the fill heavy anyway....

I have a MCM A-5 Edge on my Surgeon 308 and love it. It really lightens the whole rifle.

I'll probably get called a heretic for this, but I like the HS precision Remington LTR stock better than any for a light weight stock, and I've had a lot of nice stocks. After glass bedding, installing Karsten cheek piece and replacing the bottom metal with badger M5, it is tough to beat.

I bought a fully-adjustable HTG with the intention of replacing the LTR stock, but I just can't do it. If I were going to build another light weight bolt I'd look for another LTR take-off.

I'll sell you the HTG for what I paid for it if you like....

HTG Edge can be made a half pound lighter than the LTR. Not trashing the LTR stock, but for serious weight cutting an aluminum block isn't the best route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HTG Edge can be made a half pound lighter than the LTR. Not trashing the LTR stock, but for serious weight cutting an aluminum block isn't the best route. </div></div>

I'm sure that's true, but it's not just the weight for me. The LTR stock is also considerably shorter and handier, and not to mention, a good $600 cheaper. I was more surprised than anyone when I came to this conclusion. I never realized how much I liked this stock until I took it off and tried something else.

Don't get me wrong, I love McMillan's stocks and have had quite a few, as well as manners, AI and other custom and factory stocks. If I'm being honest with myself, I just like the LTR the best for a lightweight rifle.

Erud, I actually agree with you on the LTR being a great stock. No ‘Heretic’ pointing intended
smile.gif

I just wanted to point out the weight difference for those not as familiar with the different stocks. There are quite a few posts that pop up asking about these stocks and their weights.

Talked to MCM, looks like an A-3 with standard fill and a glue on butt plate would be about right. Thanks for all the input guys!

Mcmillan A3 Edge non adjustable short action Rem 700 BDL=
<span style="font-size: 17pt">31oz</span>

I love the A3. If i was trying to save a few more ounces i would go with the A3 Sporter with the Edge Tech. The grip on the A series for me is perfect. Here is a pic of the A3 Sporter, it's not pictured on their website but they make it.

a3spr.jpg