• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Lighter PVS14 housings?

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Are there any lighter weight housings out there? I have a dual set up with a TNVC mount that I like a lot. Don't get me wrong, overall, 31's kill these, but there are some niceties - ie, it's cool that I can shrink the aperture on one tube and turn down gain on the other tube to get matching brightness despite mixed apertures. It's also cool that I have two IR illuminators instead of none. I'd definitely trade these illuminators for lighter weight though.

Bringing me to my question. Is there a lighter weight housing out there? I'd like to keep adjustable gain and diopter adjustment if able. Thanks.

Respectfully,
Jeff

That's pretty bad ass. User review says it shaves 1.2 oz... Would be 2.4 oz for me.

Are there any lighter weight housings out there? I have a dual set up with a TNVC mount that I like a lot. Don't get me wrong, overall, 31's kill these, but there are some niceties - ie, it's cool that I can shrink the aperture on one tube and turn down gain on the other tube to get matching brightness despite mixed apertures. It's also cool that I have two IR illuminators instead of none. I'd definitely trade these illuminators for lighter weight though.

Bringing me to my question. Is there a lighter weight housing out there? I'd like to keep adjustable gain and diopter adjustment if able. Thanks.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Here is likely what you seek. These NVD units come in at 8.4 oz each. The Mod Armory Light Weight Bridge comes in at 2.49 oz. So with 2 of these PVS 14's and the Mod Light Weight Bridge you are looking at a total weight of 19.29 Oz. Hell this is getting in the range of some of the lightest dedicated bino systems.

So add a battery to each (0.5 oz) and now you are at a total of 20.29 oz. And this is likely a much stronger system than a lot of the dedicated bino systems out there.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Here is likely what you seek. These NVD units come in at 8.4 oz each. The Mod Armory Light Weight Bridge comes in at 2.49 oz. So with 2 of these PVS 14's and the Mod Light Weight Bridge you are looking at a total weight of 19.29 Oz. Hell this is getting in the range of some of the lightest dedicated bino systems.

So add a battery to each (0.5 oz) and now you are at a total of 20.29 oz. And this is likely a much stronger system than a lot of the dedicated bino systems out there.

Whoa. Buttons. Weird. I guess the 31 technically has a button too.

I’ll have to ask them if they’ll just sell the housing. Thanks for the tip.

with the Dep ether, id be down to under 18oz. That’s close to pvs31 territory.

I inquired about the UL14 a few months back and the NVD dudes LOL'd at me. Said it wasn't going to be available anytime soon. It's a shame because the Mini-Bs have treated me extremely well. They're ultra light and extremely capable. Some people may not like the push button, but they're perfect in my eyes. No nob to break off.

I inquired about the UL14 a few months back and the NVD dudes LOL'd at me. Said it wasn't going to be available anytime soon. It's a shame because the Mini-Bs have treated me extremely well. They're ultra light and extremely capable. Some people may not like the push button, but they're perfect in my eyes. No nob to break off.
They say why.

I know NVD just moved into even larger manufacturing facilities and they had/have been extremely busy fulfilling some very large contract orders.

However, it was my understanding that those housings were available beginning about a year ago IIRC.

Get the Nightline 914C housing. Combine it with a Vyper and a either eyepiece and you are in money land all the sudden.

Also, you can shave a bit by going to polymer optics lock rings.

The housings by nightline and NVD look exactly the same, are they produced by a third party manufacturer?

Also on the mini Bs, was looking to possibly purchase one. But according to NVD they halted production for design changes and it wont be available until fall this year the earliest. Anyone have any knowledge on what they are doing to it?

Mod3 bravo hosing maybe? I know the individual optic pods save around 2.5oz over a PVS14, if you would like this evening when I make it to the casa I can weigh the Mod3 with it's bridge.

Reactions: MarinePMI