• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest bolt gun made?

Check out Q rifles. It's called "The Fix"

Complete rifle and I don't think they are out yet but would be cool to test one out. Complete rifle weighs almost the same as an AX chassis

b65afba299e491d7afe44252123d8808.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
the carbon barrels out there really wont help you in the weight department. and its not cause they aren't light, they are. but only for the contour they are offered in. so yes, if you are building a sendero contour rifle, the carbon fiber barrel will help. you can get it lighter running some of these ultralight contours like the 2b and such. even though they are steel, they are lighter than the CF barrels.

I agree to a point. The CF barrels allow you to go to a weight that competes with the featherweight profiles (#0 through #3), and the margins get worse (for the CF barrels) the shorter you go. One thing that is worth noting is that the CF barrels, regardless of contour or length, allow for muzzle threads. For a super-lightweight rifle it may or may not be something you care about.

The CF barrels are also good for long length. I have a 3lb 28" Proof Research barrel. You can't get that with a traditional steel barrel. I'm also able to run with a suppressor if I want to hang an extra pound off the end, and it's a repeatable POI shift.

So yeah, for absolute light weight, probably not the best, but if you have other specific requirements, they can be the only way to get you under a certain weight, short of having someone cut a custom contour. I think the stiffness/rigidity for weight ratio is also going to be higher, potentially less temperature sensitive. That's just my speculation, though.

I built one in 6.5 WSM with a Proof Research barrel and titanium action and it weighs 7 lbs. on the nose. I could save more weight with a light steel taper but I run a suppressor and needed the heavier contour. I used Rem BDL bottom metal since it's close to the lightest option I could find. I used Hawkins hybrid rings since they have 25 MOA already cut in them along with a bubble on the rear ring. The lightest stock I found with a vertical grip was a Manners EH1.

I have a Savage lightweight Hunter Rifle in .308 that is 5.5# w/o scope, I put a Vortex 4-16 PST on it and loaded it, its a litte over 7#. Joy to carry up and down mountains, and that's the only thing I use it for.