• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Lightweight .308Win rounds

Enfieldr

Mapleseed Rifleman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Has anyone tried using lighter 308 rounds out at distance? I realize that 168gr and 175gr are the go to, but I am wondering if anyone has had positive results at range with say a 150gr or 125gr?

I've tried them....and hated them....the wind pushed them all around. And what is your definition of distance? Mine is 800+ for a 308...and at 1000 the 150's I tried sucked badly.

My definition of distance for the 308 is 800 to 1000 metres. Sounds like it may be best to stay with the 175’s then.

If your definition of distance is 800 to 1000 I think you might have some trouble 125s. You may need a day without any wind.

The guys shooting Palma matches use 155gr bullets in their .308s out to 1000 yards, but their rifles have 30" and longer barrels to get the near 3000 fps velocity needed to make that work, and they still have to be very, very good at reading the wind to win matches. If you want to shoot lighter bullets at distance, get one of the 6mm or 6.5 rifles designed to do that.

If you can get enough speed, you'llv be surprised by the performance. I shoot 155 hybrids and Sierra 2156's at around 3030, and they are both just great at 1000. They go transonic at right around 1200 yards in my part of the country, which is around 900' elevation. The attached target was shot with Hybrids last Saturday morning. Temp was 28º, with left wind varying from 2.75 to 4 minutes. I lost one out the left in a let-off, but kept the rest reasonably centered, and elevation was pretty good considering I was freezing my ass.

Attachments

• D37818F1-D1BE-495F-A741-66BAC8B1E104.png
      D37818F1-D1BE-495F-A741-66BAC8B1E104.png
      508.1 KB · Views: 48
    Reactions: Enfieldr
    Don't know why I didn't think about this sooner, but it is possible to make a more typically configured .308 perform better with (somewhat) lighter bullets - if you want to spend the money to do it. The Warner Flatline solids in 155 and 160 gr weights can make your gun shoot more like a 6.5 Cr, but they'll cost you more than $1.00 a pop.

Lowlight posted about the 160gr Flatlines here.

Last edited:
    If you can get enough speed, you'llv be surprised by the performance. I shoot 155 hybrids and Sierra 2156's at around 3030, and they are both just great at 1000. They go transonic at right around 1200 yards in my part of the country, which is around 900' elevation. The attached target was shot with Hybrids last Saturday morning. Temp was 28º, with left wind varying from 2.75 to 4 minutes. I lost one out the left in a let-off, but kept the rest reasonably centered, and elevation was pretty good considering I was freezing my ass.
    Those are some great results. I am just running a 20" barrel right now though, so I am not sure if I can get close to that speed. I am considering a longer barrel when it is time to replace the current one.

Don't know why I didn't think about this sooner, but it is possible to make a more typically configured .308 perform better with (somewhat) lighter bullets - if you want to spend the money to do it. The Warner Flatline solids in 155 and 160 gr weights can make your gun shoot more like a 6.5 Cr, but they'll cost you more than $1.00 a pop.

Lowlight posted about the 160gr Flatlines here.
    Thank you for the reference. That sounds like an interesting option based on Frank's results. I am going to see if that is something I can get up here in Canada.

Yeah, I don't think it's worth it with a 20" barrel, you'd be better off going with a heavier bullet. I'm one of the palma guys mentioned above shooting a 30" barrel, so that makes it a lot easier, you'd probably be hard-pressed to get 2800 out of a 20".

Shorter barrel, bigger bullets lose less performance.
    Palma shooters use 155 gr bullets because they are required to, not because they want to.
    800-1000 yard us the big bullets drift less.

190 SMK / NCC from a 20” barrel bolt gun does really well for 800-1000 yd use.

Palma shooters use 155 gr bullets because they are required to, not because they want to.

That’s a common misconception, but there are actually no bullet weight limits in US Palma. ICFRA-sanctioned competitions and some foreign countries limit weight, but we don’t here. Most of us actually do shoot them because we want to. Modern 155’s are not like the offerings from the old days, and they actually match up pretty well against heavier bullets when comparing them at real-world speeds. Also, the lighter recoil makes them a lot more manageable when shooting from a sling for a whole day/weekend or more.

Reactions: xdeano
    I used 168 and 175s for decades. Now I use the 155 Scenars. Step on them a bit and you’ll be amazed at the Preformance and lower recoil. No issue at a 1,000. I got the idea from John Widden (Widden Gun Works) when he switch from 190s to the 155s.
    I have 160 Flatlines and 150 Leigh’s in it now. So far (but not done) Flatlines are a bust per my application, Leigh’s showing some promise.
    The 175 class and higher are still the choice for transonic and subsonic for me. I just don’t shoot much passed 1,000 anymore. So the lighter going faster wins out. Hope this helps.

Shorter barrel, bigger bullets lose less performance.

190 SMK / NCC from a 20” barrel bolt gun does really well for 800-1000 yd use.
    Thanks for the advice. I am currently working on load development with the 175gr SMK, but think I will try some of the 190's. Looks like it is about as heavy I can go without going to a 1:10 twist rate or faster.

That’s a common misconception, but there are actually no bullet weight limits in US Palma. ICFRA-sanctioned competitions and some foreign countries limit weight, but we don’t here. Most of us actually do shoot them because we want to. Modern 155’s are not like the offerings from the old days, and they actually match up pretty well against heavier bullets when comparing them at real-world speeds. Also, the lighter recoil makes them a lot more manageable when shooting from a sling for a whole day/weekend or more.
    True, I was thinking International but mentioned USA. My bad.

Question for the OP.
    What bullet is winning F T/R?
    If 155s were all that, would be used more and winning in F T/R at USFCNC.
    155s in a 30” barrel are competitive, work really well. Heavier bullets work better, especially when barrel gets shorter.
    155s are “easier” on shooter and as such shoot “better” since shooter doesn’t get wore down as quickly.

20” factory bbl, SAAMI chamber a 190 SMK / NCC (jumping 0.040”, which is 2.900+” OAL) @ 2550 is easily achieved.
    Recoil is more than a 155, just to state the obvious.

I've shot a pile of fclass matches with the 175 smk and 155 lapua. I like the lapua better. I pushed them at 2925fps with a nice load of varget.

I've got a box of 110grn bullets from a friend, but have never loaded any up just to try them out. I know they'd be decently flat shooting out to 300, after that I have a feeling the wind would have its way.

Xdeano

I have a Lehigh load in a 26" running 3035 with CFE and 2990 with RL15. I find them better in the wind than everything below the 195TMK and they hold vertical extremely well. I can push them faster but these are the speeds they shoot extremely well at for the charges.
    BC works out to .522 to line up for me. They shoot well I've shot about 100 of these in the last 2 months. Recoil is less they are fast to target and you can tell they are your bullets on steel

Attachments

• 700 ladder.jpg
      700 ladder.jpg
      540.9 KB · Views: 40
    I have a Lehigh load in a 26" running 3035 with CFE and 2990 with RL15. I find them better in the wind than everything below the 195TMK and they hold vertical extremely well. I can push them faster but these are the speeds they shoot extremely well at for the charges.
    BC works out to .522 to line up for me. They shoot well I've shot about 100 of these in the last 2 months. Recoil is less they are fast to target and you can tell they are your bullets on steel

Which lehigh projectile?
    Xdeano

I like 150 gr federal American EAGLES the cheap ones , for the cost out to 600 yards they shoot fine 3'' steel plate or paper for groups so far they have worked well enough that I cannot see any differences between my groups 100- 600 yards between the 3 rounds 150 , 168smk's or the 178's . I would defiantly go to the heavier rounds further out .but will not spend the extra again to have it shot at ranges I have available at this time not at 14.00 + per box or more difference , to me the more expensive bullets at my rang give negligible gain for the differences in cost . That is my feelings on that and i am not competing with anyone except with my self . you should try a few boxes for your self you results could vary from mine or someone else's . good luck either way .

Last edited: