• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight 6.5 CM

devildawg2531

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2013
USA
I have gotten an MPA in 6.5 CM and absolutely love the caliber.. basically does everything that I need done. The MPA is amazing but is obviously geared towards bench shooting and distance precision at almost 20 pounds with Razor scope. I'm looking to go the opposite end of the spectrum with a lightweight hunting and hiking rifle with a shorter barrel. I still want excellent accuracy sub MOA min. Magazine – AICS Type (10 Round Magpul/AICS Type Magazine) is a must. I'm not interested in building the rifle want to order.

Thoughts?

Why do you want AICS magazine compatibility (vs internal box) with a hunting rifle, if you’re differentiating your hunting and range rifles?

Separately, what do you mean by wanting to order vs build? Are you open to lite-custom configuration?

I’d be looking at AllTerra, Gunwerx, Alamo Precision, GA Precision... just a matter of how long you’re willing to wait. If you’re not wanting to wait and not wanting to build, you probably need to forget about AICS - go for a Tikka, Savage, or Weatherby lightweight, all of which will be better than MOA.

Last edited:
Reactions: wade2big
Proof Elevation MTR would be a great choice.

If you like your MPA but just want a lighter and shorter platform have you looked at the MPA ultra lite carbon fiber hunter or their Pork Chop rifle?

Reactions: devildawg2531
The new Springfield Waypoint with carbon fiber barrel would be on my short list. I haven't seen any reviews on them yet, I'm not sure if there are many in the wild as of now. They look good on paper. I keep asking the LGS if they've had any come in just to finger one.

I've looked at the Seekins Havak Element at 5.5 pounds with 21 inch barrel and looking closely at the MPA Ultra Light Hunter rifle at about 7 pounds with a 20 inch barrel. These are my top 2 choices so far.. open to others as well.

Reactions: NewsShooter
When the Sig Cross rifle gets back in inventory you might consider looking at one of those.
Very light, good accuracy and takes magpul magazines.

Owned a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is very lightweight. They make quality firearms that can shoot. Unfortunately, at my age, I need some weight to help keep a rifle steady. So, despite everything I liked about the rifle, I sold it as my Weatherby Vanguard in 26-06 was much easier for me to shoot.

Ruger Predator. Completely on the other end of the spectrum. :)
Mine shoots.

Ruger Predator. Completely on the other end of the spectrum. :)
Mine shoots.
I was thinking along similar lines but a Tikka Superlite in stainless.

Devildog says that he needs AICS mags though.

1moa is a pretty low bar these days. I picked up a Ruger predator, which takes AICS mags, in 6.5cm for his first hunting rifle. It's not as refined as other more expensive rifles. However it will shoot at least MOA with factory ammo. For the ~$600 price which included a Vortex scope it was a no brainer.

So budget and features will help to narrow down which will check the most boxes for you.