• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight Compact Scopes- Best Value?

1911addict42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Good evening,

After doing some research on what type of optic I want to mount on a JP 308, I’ve settled on a scope over LVPO.
    Trying to keep the setup as lightweight and maneuverable as I can. I also want a forgiving eye box, I don’t like having to position myself perfectly before getting a sight picture.
    There’s quite a few scopes that look viable, but I’d like feedback from people who have experience and nothing to gain if I buy one.
    Im willing to buy quality, but don’t care for specific brands; just want the best bang for dollar spent.
    I don’t think I’d pay up for S&B or Kahles unless there was a very good reason; those are for experts who appreciate the absolute highest quality; this is my first long range scope. That said, I’d like to “buy once cry once.”
    Leupold Mark 5, Nightforce 2.5-20, EOTech Vudu 5-25 and Burris XTR 3 are my top contenders.
    Should I be looking at anything else? And out of those 4 what is the safest bet that I’d be happy with?

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Levi

What are your weight requirements?

Last edited:
    I have 2 Xanthos builds...
    What are your weight requirements?
    10 oz. SWFA 2-10x
    12-14 oz Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x or 4-14x...This is what I have on my Xanthos builds now, with Aero mounts (3.3 oz)
    Etc...
    Im looking to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing performance to hit steel and ultimately groups at 1,000 yard. 12-14 oz sounds excellent, how far does the 4-14 take you?

Reactions: S_R
    The Swaro Z5 3.5-18 weighs approx 16 oz.
    18x with the BRX reticle might get you to 1000, but only 58 MOA of elevation, dialing up might get tricky

Last edited:
    i use the mark 5 out of the list and like it a lot. Can’t go wrong with nf although personally I would go atacr over nx8.

Im looking to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing performance to hit steel and ultimately groups at 1,000 yard. 12-14 oz sounds excellent, how far does the 4-14 take you?

I just received my Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 FFP. It’s an ounce or two over 20oz in weight and has an extremely usable tree reticle with a center floating dot. I’m super excited about this thing and I think it would be great on your JP. Might be a little under-powered depending on what you’re comfortable with but if weight is a concern then this thing is right up your alley.

Reactions: Earnhardt
    Good evening,

After doing some research on what type of optic I want to mount on a JP 308, I’ve settled on a scope over LVPO.
    Trying to keep the setup as lightweight and maneuverable as I can. I also want a forgiving eye box, I don’t like having to position myself perfectly before getting a sight picture.
    There’s quite a few scopes that look viable, but I’d like feedback from people who have experience and nothing to gain if I buy one.
    Im willing to buy quality, but don’t care for specific brands; just want the best bang for dollar spent.
    I don’t think I’d pay up for S&B or Kahles unless there was a very good reason; those are for experts who appreciate the absolute highest quality; this is my first long range scope. That said, I’d like to “buy once cry once.”
    Leupold Mark 5, Nightforce 2.5-20, EOTech Vudu 5-25 and Burris XTR 3 are my top contenders.
    Should I be looking at anything else? And out of those 4 what is the safest bet that I’d be happy with?

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Levi
    If you're looking to do a lot of target shooting get the mk5 3.6-18, Its an awesome scope.
    If weight is the biggest concern and hunting is more important than target shooting then I'd recommend a Vortex LHT 3-15

No hunting for me, sounds like Mark 5 is a safe bet. I do love the Leupold warranty, I could probably use that scope for rest of my life and be happy.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA