• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight deer rifle

Bradu

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
IL
I am trying to figure out a good semi auto deer rifle for hunting season this fall. I like my ar10 but it's so damn heavy to pack into the timber and want something lighter. What do you guys recommend?

Re: Lightweight deer rifle

I will have to look into the 300blk since I don't know much about that caliber. I have considered the 6.8 quite a bit lately with a 16" barrel and trying to go as light as possible with the build. I have also considered a SCAR 17s due to how compact and light it is but I'm trying to go cheaper for a brush gun.

I see you are in IL. You must be hunting outside of IL, right? I'm sure you know firearm deer hunting here is shotgun, muzzleloader, or handgun only - no rifles.

I do love the ar platform too, got both ar10's and 15's but when it comes to deer hunting with a semi auto I love the Browning BAR, mines in 30.06. Ive got 5 shots and IMHO thats more than you ever need.

At 7 1/4-7 1/2lb the Remington 750 could be your answer. It's not the rifle it once was, the bugs are fixed according to <span style="font-style: italic">Gun Tests Magazine</span>

I would be looking for a bolt action in what ever flavor suits you, but keeping in your .308 caliber so you can use the same rounds in your AR-10

For bolt gun, I'd suggest the Savage 10FCM Scout.

I have the 7.62x39 chambering and the rifle is very solid, compact, quick, and lightweight. For your purposes the .308 would be good choice, I got the 7.62x39 for my 100lb Granddaugter.

It's a good candidate for a dot scope in the brush, I removed the peep and converted my mount to a conventional type and mounted a scope for my Granddaughter to use as a semi-match/trainer rifle. With handloads, it beginning to look like an accurate rifle; a pleasant surprise with the 7.62x39. Even with cheap generic ammo it still hits the 12" 250yd gong ten for ten.

Greg

Semi auto deer rifle? Unless your doing herd control, I would think a bolt would be better and lighter for hunting purposes. 1 shot should be all you will need. My .02
Travis

A quick follow-up shot is always in good taste, especially in the thick stuff. A BAR (Safari) is my choice. I don't like the newer Italian-style rifles, look like their cousins, the Benellis.

Good recommendations so far. Hunt with the semi-auto and don't listen to the fuds who frown upon it
wink.gif
The 300 blackout or 6.8 are great rounds for up to medium size game. I went back and forth last year with the same issue and settled for a .450 bushmaster. Uppers can be had in the $500 mark now and ammo is running right at $20 for 20. 250gr SSTs worked 2 for 2 on deer in Jan of this year. Heavy punch in an AR weight.

Knowing the following would help this along...otherwise everyone is just speculating on what "might" work best for you:

1) when you say "deer rifle" are you talking about small whitetail, mulies, etc.?

2) where are you hunting (state/region/etc.)?

3) what conditions are you hunting in (wide open fields/powerline rights of way/dense or some dense brush/etc.)?

4) at what ranges/distances are you needing to make clean, accurate, ethical kills?

Also, knowing the laws of where you are hunting is key to making this call. i.e. - some states require a minimum caliber for hunting certain game (such as .25 cal, etc.). Heaven knows I have killed more than a few deer with a .223/5.56 AR (especially on crop damage permits when "thinning the herd" is the call to action, but it is FAR from ideal depending on the circumstances in which you are hunting). The AR is an excellent platform to build from given many of the "alternative" caliber options (6.5 Grendel especially, as well as the 6.8, 300BLK, etc.) and with a 16" barrel and attention to cutting weight where you can (lightweight stock...not a Magpul PRS, UBR, etc., a lightweight HG, fluted/dimpled/contoured 16" bbl, etc.) you can get the weight down to a VERY manageable weight for even the longest of hauls up and down the mountainside for hunting.

I guess there is always the gym too!! (Sorry...just joking. Somebody always has to be an @$$ in these situations and suggest that you eat your spinanch and workout more).
wink.gif

I'm really liking this little DTECH .25DTI wildcat, built on an 18" midlength gas system. (.25DTI is a 6.8SPC necked down to .257, then improved to 30deg )
deer2011025.jpg

handles & carries easy, minimal recoil from ~30gr of charge and very accurate. I run 90gr Gamekings just under 3K for deer & 75gr Vmax 3175fps for coyotes & other vermin...
deer2011062.jpg

OPHA2012023.jpg

The .25DTI has quickly become my favorite AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see you are in IL. You must be hunting outside of IL, right? I'm sure you know firearm deer hunting here is shotgun, muzzleloader, or handgun only - no rifles. </div></div>

I deer hunt in Missouri.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lima Bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do love the ar platform too, got both ar10's and 15's but when it comes to deer hunting with a semi auto I love the Browning BAR, mines in 30.06. Ive got 5 shots and IMHO thats more than you ever need.</div></div>

I have considered a BAR, my dad had one when I was younger and it shot pretty good and 5 shots is plenty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDuc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Semi auto deer rifle? Unless your doing herd control, I would think a bolt would be better and lighter for hunting purposes. 1 shot should be all you will need. My .02
Travis</div></div>

I am hunting some farm ground and the owner wants all the deer I can get due to crop damage. Last year I only bought 2 tags and filled them opening day by 8am. This year I plan on killing quite a few more and donating them to local butcher shops that butcher them to help the locals in need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knowing the following would help this along...otherwise everyone is just speculating on what "might" work best for you:

1) when you say "deer rifle" are you talking about small whitetail, mulies, etc.?

2) where are you hunting (state/region/etc.)?

3) what conditions are you hunting in (wide open fields/powerline rights of way/dense or some dense brush/etc.)?

4) at what ranges/distances are you needing to make clean, accurate, ethical kills?

Also, knowing the laws of where you are hunting is key to making this call. i.e. - some states require a minimum caliber for hunting certain game (such as .25 cal, etc.). Heaven knows I have killed more than a few deer with a .223/5.56 AR (especially on crop damage permits when "thinning the herd" is the call to action, but it is FAR from ideal depending on the circumstances in which you are hunting). The AR is an excellent platform to build from given many of the "alternative" caliber options (6.5 Grendel especially, as well as the 6.8, 300BLK, etc.) and with a 16" barrel and attention to cutting weight where you can (lightweight stock...not a Magpul PRS, UBR, etc., a lightweight HG, fluted/dimpled/contoured 16" bbl, etc.) you can get the weight down to a VERY manageable weight for even the longest of hauls up and down the mountainside for hunting.

I guess there is always the gym too!! (Sorry...just joking. Somebody always has to be an @$$ in these situations and suggest that you eat your spinanch and workout more).
wink.gif
</div></div>

I am hunting whitetail and the areas I hunt have anything from heavy brush to open fields that I can shoot out to 500 yards. I usually don't shoot over 300, there is no point of shooting farther with the amount of deer to shoot at. I do need to lose about 20 pounds and start lifting weights again but my shoulders don't like it too much.

The 6.8 always seems to get the job done. Look here and here and note that this has been repeated thousands of times---just scroll thru some of the hunting threads.

Bradu,

I always recommend that people NOT get exotic AR calibers (6.8, 6.5G, 300blk etc). While these calibers are great in their own right, if you do not reload, you will spend quite a bit of money on ammo trying to feed these rifles if you shoot a lot. I wont tell you how you'll feel if you happen to forget your ammo at home...you will either borrow a rifle or sit in the stand with the thumb up ur you know what.

I always recommend that people go with common, long established calibers (.308, .243, 308, 556, etc). That will cure all the issues mentioned above.

Before proceeding any furhter, a few questions are in order:

1. Is your AR really an AR-10 (Armalite) or another AR variant (DPMS, Rock river, etc)
2. How heavy is your AR-10?
3. How is it configured?
4. How light do you want your rifle without optic?
5. How much walking, stalking will you be doing?

Since you already have a 308AR, i suggest you stay with that platform & simply get a lighter weight upper.

If your AR is actually an AR-10 (Armalite), then just get the AR-10A4 carbine upper (16" barreled upper). That upper, when set up with a carbine stock weighs in at 7.75lbs.

If your AR is actually say a DPMS, then i recommend that you get a DPMS LR-308L upper (18" barreled upper). DPMS' configuration with that upper also weighs less than 8lbs (7.99lbs with a hollowed out A2 stock).

All these options will be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new rifle, new ammo, getting used to it, buying reloading euipment etc.

Best of luck.

Great questions and valid points, I appreciate everyone's comments! Both my ar-10's are Armalite's, one is a .308 Gap built and one is a .260 RWS built. The .308 has a Magpul prs stock, badger handguard, 20" bull barrel with a 3.5-15x56 Nightforce and the .260 is a 22" .936 barrel with a Little Bastard brake, Magpul PRS stock, Daniel Defense 12" lite rail with a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm. I don't know the weight but both are heavier than I want to be carrying for any amount of time. As far as how much walking, I walk about 1/2 mile into my stand and in previous years I have walked several miles of timber when it's windy trying to find the deer. I'm not a trophy hunter so I don't care if it's a small doe or a big buck, I just want to make the farmers happy that allow me to hunt. I don't reload but no more than work allows me to shoot, I'm not that worried about the cost of ammo as long as it's not anymore than my .260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.8 always seems to get the job done. Look here and here and note that this has been repeated thousands of times---just scroll thru some of the hunting threads.
</div></div>

Thanks for the links, I didn't know about that forum but it looks like the 6.8 may be what I'm looking for. Sure looks like an impressive round for the distance I plan on hunting.

6.8 or 6.5/.264 all the way. The good ammo is the same price or much cheaper than the same in the other common calibers such as 5.56 and .308.

I've shot deer with a .223 and needed more thump, in stepped the 6.8.
grin.gif

get a slickside AR15 platform and a lightweight contour barrel and there are several forearm/handguards that are extremely light; my personal choice is a 6.5 Grendel in a 14.5 barrel---a
slickside Mega upper--it balances in the hand just like the venerable 30-30 lever action and one can carry it all day--it's a SAMMI round now so dont worry about ammo and it will reach out there---obviously with the quality of your AR10's you are a reloader, thus it should be easy for you---currently have uppers from 204 to 450 and love em all---my favorite bolt gun is a custom 243 with Mannlicher stock which is very lightweight also---and the majority of deer were shot with it until I switched to AR15 platform---the next 5 yrs were a 223 AR15 with the Black Hills 60gr expanding bullet---currently use the aforementioned Grendel---(displaced Texan currently in the Peoples republic of Illinois)----when in a stand I use the AR10 format

Bradu,

It seems that you've made up your mind...you seem like to be leaning towards the 6.8. It's a good decision...as long as you understand the limitations of an exotic caliber...cost of & availability of ammunition.

Per your description of your AR-10s, it sounds like they weigh about 11-13lbs empty...it gets worse cause you put a 2-pound optic on top of it...it makes for a stable platform, but one that is not terribly lite, nor suited for mobile hunting.

Dont make the same mistake with your AR-15. Think light thoughts. That means:
1. No Nightforce or other heavy scopes.
2. No fancy mall ninja rails...those just add weight to your rifle for no benefit.
3. limit the mag capacity when hunting...use a 5 round rounder, and carry the rest in a ready position on you.

going with the 6.8 set up will net you about a 1.0-1.5lb reduction in weight over my recommendation to get a lighter weight 308upper...it will also cost more than getting an upper (if you want a quality unit).

Off the soapbox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bradu,

It seems that you've made up your mind...you seem like to be leaning towards the 6.8. It's a good decision...as long as you understand the limitations of an exotic caliber...cost of & availability of ammunition.
</div></div>

I'm not sure what in the hell you are talking about but the 6.8 and 6.5 are THE most popular choices in the AR15 and give the platform much more than the weaker 5.56 ever has. If our guberment had any sense, they would give these to our troops for combat use to replace the 5.56.

You can get Wolf Gold 6.5G for around $13-14 per box and SSA 6.8 for around $17-18 a box. At least 2 major companies will be releasing cheaper ammo for both in 2013. The last time I bought some decent 5.56 ammo, it was over $20 a box and FGMM .308 was $25 a box.

He could build a 8lb AR10 but it ain't going to be fun to shoot and unless he is shooting surplus ammo, he won't be saving any money. Not to steer him away from the .308 though, I love my bolt gun and will always have at least one rifle in .308.

Heckler and Koch model 770 in 308. I used one for a few years in Wisconsin and it was a great deer rifle. Put a H&K 05 scope mount on top and the scope of your choice. I used a Leupold Vari X III 2.5x 8. You can easily reach out to 250 -300 yards with it and it will be right there for your 50 yard shots also. It liked 150 grain Nosler ballistic tips for ammo.

I run a 12.5" in 6.8. It has taken a ton of hogs and every deer it has been fired at has been recovered w/in 40 yds, most DRT.

I've been using the 120gr Hornady SST lately. The 6.8 is very efficient in short barrels. Hornady advertises 2460fps on the box for their factory ammo. I clocked it at 2445fps from my little 12.5" AR Performance barrel (Oehler 35P chrono), and it holds .8 to 1.1 MOA, even with me pulling the trigger.

Here is it's latest victim from last weekend, 273lb boar, DRT. Friend in the pic, not me.

MarkHogBigBoar-small-cleaned.jpg

Rifle alone. w/o the can it almost feels like a toy it's so light, but it hits hard. I love the 6.8 for a lightweight hunting rig.

IMG_1393.jpg

I'm going to a 6.8 SPC for the upcoming season. I am pulling the barrel on the rifle in my sig line and throwing in a Bison Armory 6.8 in 16" flavor, an LMT enhanced bolt and throwing a 7.62 AAC Blackout. Leaving the NF on it for now.

ShrockWorks, I'm guessing by the handle that you are involved with the company by that same name. Really great product, had it on my 05 Wrangler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be looking for a bolt action in what ever flavor suits you, but keeping in your .308 caliber so you can use the same rounds in your AR-10 </div></div>

I agree with this. My son has a light weight Ruger Hawkeye .308 with a 16" lw barrel. It's a perfect deer gun and shoots the same stuff as my SCAR17. I am thinking about picking up another Hawkeye for myself.

After hearing all the love for the 6.8, I think I have made up my mind to go that direction. It sounds like that will be a perfect round for what I will be using it for. Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate all the opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After hearing all the love for the 6.8, I think I have made up my mind to go that direction. It sounds like that will be a perfect round for what I will be using it for. Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate all the opinions.</div></div> I think that is a very good idea. The 6.8mm is my main hunting round. I use either Barnes 95 GR TTSX or the Nosler 100 GR Accubonds and have killed quite a few deer with that combination. I now reload the 6.8mm so it is a lot cheaper now.

I've enjoyed using and carrying my DPMS AP4. I had the barrel lightened by ADCO, and I installed a carbon fiber forearm. It wears a VX3 1.5-5 Ill scope in ADM mounts. I need to weigh the gun again, but I believe it weighed in at 8.5lbs last time I checked. It's very well balanced, so it also feels lighter.

To me, the .308 is as close to perfect in an AR platform for deer. Everyone sells ammo, there is a huge variety of different types of ammo, it doesn't kick the crap out of you, and it has plenty of power and range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonprox700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've enjoyed using and carrying my DPMS AP4. I had the barrel lightened by ADCO, and I installed a carbon fiber forearm. It wears a VX3 1.5-5 Ill scope in ADM mounts. I need to weigh the gun again, but I believe it weighed in at 8.5lbs last time I checked. It's very well balanced, so it also feels lighter.

To me, the .308 is as close to perfect in an AR platform for deer. Everyone sells ammo, there is a huge variety of different types of ammo, it doesn't kick the crap out of you, and it has plenty of power and range. </div></div>

For what he wants? 6.8x43 or go eat margarine, yankee.
icon_smile_clown.gif

I'm really looking at the Noveske Rogue hunter in the 6.8, I haven't figured out what scope to use yet. I am thinking about my 3-9 Leupold to keep the weight down.

I won't fault that. BUTT!!!

An AR15performance 6.8 ARP-16" Scout profile 1lb 12oz, 5R rifling, Melonite, mid gas ain't a wrong answer, either. Along with a matched bolt.

Best to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really looking at the Noveske Rogue hunter in the 6.8, I haven't figured out what scope to use yet. I am thinking about my 3-9 Leupold to keep the weight down. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidAR10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't fault that. BUTT!!!

An AR15performance 6.8 ARP-16" Scout profile 1lb 12oz, 5R rifling, Melonite, mid gas ain't a wrong answer, either. Along with a matched bolt.

Best to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really looking at the Noveske Rogue hunter in the 6.8, I haven't figured out what scope to use yet. I am thinking about my 3-9 Leupold to keep the weight down. </div></div> </div></div>

I'd go with that ARP setup anyday over the Noveske, bad part is H's shop is down for a move so no orders can be made until he is back up and running in the new place.

Noveske does make a nice 6.8 though, top tier for sure.

I've owned a couple Noveske 6.8 uppers and highly recommend them. I think the lightweight Rogue Hunter barrel is excellent for hunting, but it doesn't group well once it warms-up. I prefer the Rogue Hunter setup (and price) but like the Recon barrel, luckily Noveske will install a Recon barrel in that upper. I shot one of these uppers (16" bbl) to 1000yds and regularly hit a steel silhouette using factory Hornady 110BTHP. Lots of witnesses as I did it at one of the 68forum shoots... I like ARP and think Harrison has done a lot for this round, but my money goes to Noveske.

p.s. I also want to try a Rainier Ultra-match barrel but they can't seem to keep them in stock.