• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight folding stock complete rifle recommendations

doubleoevan

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2020
I'm in the market for a lightweight folding stock bolt action in either 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm leaning toward the latter since recoil in a light weight rifle is more pronounced. I'm open to building my own, but the options and possible pitfalls of a custom build are a bit daunting to me. To that end, I'm leaning toward a complete rifle.

I don't own a lot of guns so I tend to look for jack-of-all trade types that cover several purposes for me. I will rarely shoot farther than 200-300 yards due to limited long range shooting where I live, but I'd like to be able to go out to 500-1000 if the opportunity came my way. Key requirements are the folding stock and a shorter barrel (16-20 inches, knowing this does reduce some of the benefits of the 6.5 Creedmoor round) and weight around 7 or 8 pounds (rifle only).

In my research, I've identified the following options and am mostly looking for input on anything I'm missing. I've got the Q Fix on my list but it's above my price range. I'd like to keep the rifle below $2K.

Sig Cross
Kimber Advanced Tactical (on the heavy side compared to the others)
JTAC Screech Owl (complete builds are coming soon, I believe based on the Howa action as opposed to the Remington 700 that's currently listed on their website)
Christensen Arms MPR (steel version is under $2K, carbon fiber barrel is more)
Q Fix (too expensive)

If you really think a custom build is a far better way to go, I'd need pretty specific input on what to look for. I started down that path, but my head started to hurt when looking at barrel options (length, twist, taper, remage/prefit, etc, etc) and whether anything I was looking at would fit in a specific chassis.

Thanks in advance.

You can get light and you can get cheap but usually not together. The cross and the MPR are probably going to be your best bet

Can't really beat the Cross on price/weight basis.

I haven't even seen one, but the Sig Cross looks very intriguing. I vote for you picking one up and telling us what you think.

If I'm building a rifle with the intent of having a folding or totally collapsible buttstock, I'm also leaning toward an 18" (max 20" barrel) such that it can fit inside of an AR15-sized case or even a backpack without being disassembled. The only factory option, in that case, is the Sig. That I know of. That also isn't $4-5000K (and at that point I'll buy an AICS chassis + custom action and barrel).