• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight Hunting Chassis

EastCOYotes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Idalia Colorado
XLR Element Magnesium or XLR Carbon?

I’m open to other options as well, those are just two I’m looking at. The Carbon is a little heavier but I like the enclosed fore end.

My goal is a lightweight chassis to put a 20” or less carbon wrapped barreled action in for an easy to carry hunting rifle. Probably topped with a Leupold Mk5

Krg Bravo might be an option as well as I love the fit and feel of a KRG X-ray I have on another rifle.

I think the magnesium will win out weight wise without checking specs just on material alone but the carbon chassis is the shit.
I have one with a 6.5x47 in it and so far it is my favorite rifle to date even though I have allways preferred a conventional stock.

Haven’t looked at specs on XLR to compare but we built two hunters with proof 24” barrels, on Tikka actions and Leupold MK5’s with the bravo and got them down under 12 lbs with a bipod and empty mag.

Haven’t looked at specs on XLR to compare but we built two hunters with proof 24” barrels, on Tikka actions and Leupold MK5’s with the bravo and got them down under 12 lbs with a bipod and empty mag.

That’s gotta be a solid setup. The XLRs are a little lighter I think if built with a lightweight Butt stock but KRG’s just feel great.

Pictures?

I think the magnesium will win out weight wise without checking specs just on material alone but the carbon chassis is the shit.
I have one with a 6.5x47 in it and so far it is my favorite rifle to date even though I have allways preferred a conventional stock.

I’m a stock guy myself but something has me wanting a chassis hunting bolt gun. The enclosed fore end should handle more like an AR I’d think which sounds fun

Yep, they were awesome in the Hornady Precision match and hopefully will put elk meat in the freezer this fall!

1CDCD13C-D932-4047-A981-BF557533B2C8.jpeg

Thanks, the bravo is actually grey but looks darker in that light. I’m happy with it!
That looks real similar to what I have in the works. What components and weight did you end up with?

Magnesium. Save weight. Anti action from defiance and you are set with that 20” cf barrel.

The Christensen MPR is a pretty light aluminum chassis. It's one the pricier side at $1100 MSRP but it's great.

KRG Bravo is just 2.9lbs — tough to beat that in a true chassis, esp for the price. I’ve had regular old stocks that weigh quite a bit more than that, ha.

Reactions: verdugo60
KRG Bravo is just 2.9lbs — tough to beat that in a true chassis, esp for the price. I’ve had regular old stocks that weigh quite a bit more than that, ha.

The Bravo is indeed a solid option. I would own one or two but I absolutely despise KRG customer service. Maybe I'll take a leap of faith.

My bro uses an MPA ultralight rn. With proof barrel, weighs on around 8lb without scope. Not too shabby. He wanted something to mimic his 222 trainer.

Thumbs up to the Christensen MPR folding Chassis!!
I jumped on the same hunting rifle quest last winter and exceeded what expectations I had begun with.
The obvious: you will likely exceed your targeted weight and $$ outlay especially with big scope!
I sourced all components here on the Hide, (a big thank-you Hide)
Zermatt TL-3 short action
Proof Carbon 20" 6mm Creed
Christensen MPR folding 14" chassis NIB
Big fat Leupold Vxiii Varmint scope
Came in at 10lbs and just north of $4k. Don't see how it could be done for any less weight nor $
But it Puts big smiles to the face every time it is out.

MPR chassis is not as light as you might think. It's almost double the weight of the XLR Magnesium or MDT HNT.