• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight Mid-Power Optics

DenverDave

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
I am researching a mid power optic for a AR-15. The core requirements are optics with a low end no higher than 3x and would like the weight to be less than 20oz. Exposed elevation turret, zero stop and illumination are must have features. MRAD reticle/turrets and FFP would be my preference but not a must. The reticle is important to me.... i like a x-mas tree type, something that can be used to range/ sub tension are a must.

The scopes I have found thus far are:

Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5

Nightforce NSX compact 2.5-10x
- available with Mils
- SFP
- zero stop
- illumination
- 19oz (or less depending on model: size of obj lends)

LEUPOLD VX LINE (VX-6HD/VX-6/VX-5HD):
- zero stop
- sub 20oz
- reticles/turrets are MOA
- illuminated
-SFP
I like the magnification range options available with these optics, especially the VX6 models. The weight and dimensions are also a plus. Cons are they are only offered in MOA and the reticle selection is not great.

NEW VX-6HD:
Reticles: T-MOA / Impact 29/45 MOA
-VX-6HD 2-12x42
-VX-6HD 3-18x44

VX-6 LINE (old not HD):
-VX-6 2-12x42
-VX-6 3-18x44

Leupold VX-5HD LINE:
-VX-5HD 2-10x42
-VX-5HD 3-15x44

I would be interested to learn about people's opinions about the scopes listed above and other scopes that would fit my criteria.

Last edited:
Well, you're not going to get a Christmas tree or FFP from Nightforce. I like mine for what it is, but pricey IMO and stuck in the last decade. I own the 42mm version, but I have heard the eyebox of the 24mm is tight.

March 1-8x24 Shorty. I'm in your reseach line to, and if you can swing $1,800 (bullets.com) I think it fits the requirements the best BY FAR. Mil/mil, 17.1 oz, <9", FFP, March glass, exposed 10mil/rev turrets, ZS, illumination (no Christmas tree reticle though).

http://www.bullets.com/shop/brand_march-optics/firstfocalplane/1-8x24mm-shorty-scope

Others would be some 1.5-8 Burris offerings, a 1-8 Trijicon, and a 1-6 SWFA. I think Bushnell even has a 1-8.5 optic as well.

Now that said, if NF would make the 2.5-10x32 with a FFP, that would be my go to optic.

If you can stomach 3 power, the SWFA 3-9x42 (no illumination though) is a good option. Or if you add a bit of weight, look at the XTR 2 2-10 or the PST G2 2-10.

Anyways, the March looks like the best bet, but it's also more expensive.

Thanks for the input fellas. I agree that the Nightforce is a little outdated. The Sig Tango 4 3-12x42 looks like it has all the features I am looking for: 20oz/zero stop/Mil-Mil/FFP/illum/MRAD scale reticle. Price is also attractive being on the low end of what have been looking at. I don't know much about Sig optics aside from the fact that they are new. Would like to know about the glass clarity and eye box on this optic.

(POST EDIT: Tango 6 2-12 is 30oz, too heavy for what I am looking for).

Last edited:
Just a little over 20 oz, but the bushnell LRHS 3-12 checks all the other boxes you mentioned. I just got one for an SPR build but I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. Plus they have a 25% rebate going on right now, so it's a good time to buy one.

edit: just saw where you said illumination is a must, so you would have to look into the LRTSi instead.

FYI rather than look at min magnification, look at maximum Field of view @ min if not both ends

Thanks for bringing that up it's a good point.

FOV @100 is :
NSX: 44'-11'
Tango 4: 33'-8'
So the NSX has a wider FOV by about 25% which corresponds in line with the magnification range difference so at the same power the FOV would be pretty much the same.

FOV Is not a stat I have spent a lot of time looking at so I am not sure if the numbers on the sig and NF are good or not. The NF being such a well acclaimed scope I am assuming that those FOV Stats are good.

Just a little over 20 oz, but the bushnell LRHS 3-12 checks all the other boxes you mentioned. I just got one for an SPR build but I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. Plus they have a 25% rebate going on right now, so it's a good time to buy one.

edit: just saw where you said illumination is a must, so you would have to look into the LRTSi instead.

I have looked at that scope. Really like the reticle and yes it has the features I am looking for. I also have a Bushy Elite Tac scope and like the product line. Unfortunately the LRTSi weights in at 28oz (non-illum version is lighter)... I am really trying to stick to my 20oz max for this optic.

I have Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x33 on my Sig 516 AR15 18.7oz ( coyote hunting or ~~~ )
and Trijicon AccuPower 1-4x24 on my HK MA556A1 AR15 16.2oz ( Close range self-defense combat or ~~~ )
if I need a new scope for AR15 1. Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x33 26.3oz 2. Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24 22.7oz 3. ~~~~~3-15x44