• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LightWeight Optic-update to OP

jbgleason

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
North LA
I am working on a project to build a LIGHT WEIGHT 7.62 gas gun. Emphasis on the weight as in trying to shave every ounce possible off of the weapon. That being said, I have just started looking into the optic and am interested in any suggestions anyone might offer. This is envisioned as a 600 yard and in weapon so no more than 10 power. I am wanting a variable so am thinking about the new crop of 1/1.5-8 type scopes but the Leupold I saw appeared very large/heavy.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

UPDATE

One of the below responses mentioned March and I had never heard of them. A little Google work later determined that they have a 1-10X (!) optic that comes in under 19 ounces. Has anyone seen or used their stuff? I am just surprised that a scope like that is out there and I haven't ever seen it talked about or advertised. Anyone?

Re: LightWeight Optic

Not sure on the exact weight but I would look at the USO 1-8x.

I am building a 308 for midrange (6,7, maybe 800) and in, 16inch, CTR stock... the USO 1-8x is a perfect fit.

The new MK6 3-18x44 is pretty light, about the same as a NXS 2.5-10X24, around 20 ounces or there abouts.

I was ringing steel with my bushnell 1-6.5 on my 5.56 AR at 550 yds. I could see others hit a 10 round plate at 1000 yards with it.

On a .308 it would ring more steel.

The 1-8.5 should be out in a couple months

Re: LightWeight Optic-update to OP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am working on a project to build a LIGHT WEIGHT 7.62 gas gun. Emphasis on the weight as in trying to shave every ounce possible off of the weapon. That being said, I have just started looking into the optic and am interested in any suggestions anyone might offer. This is envisioned as a 600 yard and in weapon so no more than 10 power. I am wanting a variable so am thinking about the new crop of 1/1.5-8 type scopes but the Leupold I saw appeared very large/heavy.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

UPDATE

One of the below responses mentioned March and I had never heard of them. A little Google work later determined that they have a 1-10X (!) optic that comes in under 19 ounces. Has anyone seen or used their stuff? I am just surprised that a scope like that is out there and I haven't ever seen it talked about or advertised. Anyone? </div></div>

I had the march suggestion:

I've yet to hold one, but they have great reviews. Kelblys in Ohio sells them. I have a bone for their 2.5-25x42 at 21 ozs for my carbon barrel/edge fill 223. Prices are a little higher than nightforce. The 5-50 powers have great reviews with the long range guys... I see one in my future. If anyone has one, post a pic!

FYI - 5 year warranty has held a lot of people back on march scopes. I understand Kelblys has said they would honor it longer iirc

Keep in mind the 1-8x and 3-24x are FFP, while the 1-10x and 2.5-25x are SFP. I really want a 3-24x (23oz). I'm sorely tempted to sell my SWFA SS and Bushnell HDMR to get one.

I have been looking at these options for sometime as well for the same reason.

The leupold cqbss is big but capable. The USO SR-8 would be great as well.

The Bushnell 1-8.5x would be similar, but I think there are lighter options.

A NF 2.5-10x32 or the x24 if you can find one both are compact nice scopes. The new Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 would be my personal choice if I did not get the USO. 16oz is its weight I believe and the x32 NF is 19oz.