• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight Rings/Mount for Hunting Rifle (Nightforce, Spuhr, Hawkins)

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am having a light-ish hunting rifle built by Short Action Customs and I need to order some rings or a mount for it. On my heavier rifles I am a Spuhr snob, but the SP series mounts are roughly 4 oz heavier than the hunting series mounts. The weight delta increases if you move to separate rings Does anyone have experience with the Spuhr hunter rings?

After a lot of research I have come down to the following options. Price is not a concern.

1. Nightforce XTRM - These seem to have the largest clamping area of the 3 options I am looking at
2. Spuhr SCP Hunting Series - I have a lot of faith in Spuhr but zero experience with these mounts. 1 piece mount, various mounting options, etc
3. Hawkins Ultralight Tactical - Recommended by a well respected optics provider that is very active on this forum. They also carry the other two options

Any insight or advice from the SH Interwebs?

I just mounted my USO FDN in one my Tikka CTR, but haven't shot with it yet. On the tikka version, it's got a lug that locks into the receiver. Not sure how it works for other rifles, but I feel like it's pretty solid. I like that the locking surfaces are torqued down on the entire length of the mount that mates up with the dovetails.

Top that off with Spuhr's leveling system, and I'm sold on it. If it came in 20 MOA, I'd be swapping out my MPA on my other rifle wearing an M7XI.

It's finish is different from my ISMS - it's more shiny instead of matte. My rifle as pictured is 12.6 lbs, 11.9 minus the sling. Mount is Spuhr SCT-4006D.

ctr-xray-uso.jpeg

spuhr-hunter.jpg

spuhr-hunter2.jpg

Since I haven't zeroed it yet, I figured I'd take the mount off and show you the underside too. Recoil lug can be put in any of the four slots to accommodate your eyebox. Not sure if this is included in non-tikka models. Also not sure if you're planning to use a dovetail SCP or a pic rail, but I figured this was relevant to your question. Might be beneficial to people who find this thread via google in the future too.

spuhr-scp-bottom.jpg

Last edited:
I just mounted my USO FDN in one my Tikka CTR, but haven't shot with it yet. On the tikka version, it's got a lug that locks into the receiver. Not sure how it works for other rifles, but I feel like it's pretty solid. I like that the locking surfaces are torqued down on the entire length of the mount that mates up with the dovetails.

Top that off with Spuhr's leveling system, and I'm sold on it. If it came in 20 MOA, I'd be swapping out my MPA on my other rifle wearing an M7XI.

It's finish is different from my ISMS - it's more shiny instead of matte. My rifle as pictured is 12.6 lbs, 11.9 minus the sling. Mount is Spuhr SCT-4006D.

View attachment 7647778
View attachment 7647779

View attachment 7647780
The full length clamp is one of the reasons I use Spuhr exclusivley on my tactical and match rifles.
I am running it on a pic rail. It looks like the pic-SCP mounts have 2 separate clamps for the pic option (see picture). I see your dovetail uses that full length rail. I wonder why they wouldn’t use that on the pic model?

Attachments

• rail.png
    rail.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 74
The reply above is the only reason i was considering the NF or Hawkins. I thought to myself, "If i dont get the benefit of the full length clamp, what other options?"

After problems apparently caused by any number of other makers of rings and mounts, I have settled on (have on 3 or... maybe 4 guns now) Aero Precision.

These: https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts

Hilariously light, very well made (not a bit of fitting issue with quality scopes, all is straight and proper diameter), three screws tightening a single bar to the gun, recoil lugs all mate up with every rail I have put them on, and torque specs are not a secret.

I walk in the woods plenty with my guns, even haul some in packs, etc. so not just range time and padded cases. Never had any issues with them shifting, bending, loosing torque, etc.

ARC M10 for rings is my go to. I have an SCP mount from Spuhr and really like it. I do not see an issue with two separate plates vs. one full rail plate, if you do just rings you're going to get similar or less coverage??

Reactions: rothgyr and Moose
I have both of my ZC-4x20 scopes in ARC M10 rings and they are so nice.

After problems apparently caused by any number of other makers of rings and mounts, I have settled on (have on 3 or... maybe 4 guns now) Aero Precision.

Hilariously light, very well made (not a bit of fitting issue with quality scopes, all is straight and proper diameter), three screws tightening a single bar to the gun, recoil lugs all mate up with every rail I have put them on, and torque specs are not a secret.

I walk in the woods plenty with my guns, even haul some in packs, etc. so not just range time and padded cases. Never had any issues with them shifting, bending, loosing torque, etc.
It looks like they are all 1.5” high.
ARC M10 for rings is my go to. I have an SCP mount from Spuhr and really like it. I do not see an issue with two separate plates vs. one full rail plate, if you do just rings you're going to get similar or less coverage???
ARC M10 for rings is my go to. I have an SCP mount from Spuhr and really like it. I do not see an issue with two separate plates vs. one full rail plate, if you do just rings you're going to get similar or less coverage??
My point exactly. If I am getting 2 clamping plates anyways, why not go with something like a nice set of rings.

• Sad
Reactions: shoobe01
ARC M10’s are great as are Hawkins. I currently run both and if weight is of no concern I prefer the m10’s for ease of mounting but the Hawkins are fantastic and great for saving weight.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
On my Atlas and Predator actions, I run the Hawkins Hybrids, KISS and clean.

Well at least for the scope I used there isn't any reason for me to use a rail.

On my heavy rigs, Seekins/APA/BAT.

For proper lightweight rings I found the Talley ring/base combined rings to be excellent, held zero well and weighed less than 60grams for the pair.

Otherwise I like the NF Ultra lite rings also.

Have you had any troubles with your scope moving? I’ve got one of these mounts but after my first range trip noticed that the scope had moved. Torqued them to 20ftlbs.

Attachments

• 61FC2454-D8AF-489C-94B3-03BBEF942863.jpeg
    61FC2454-D8AF-489C-94B3-03BBEF942863.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 94
Not at all. And I only torqued to 15 in-lb, per their specs. Not just no change in zero, but no visible ring slippage as you get, etc. And while my biggest is .308, I also carry them through woods, am clumsy and drop them, etc.

My scopes in these are all Steiners, and one Bushnell SMRS. If that matters?