• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lightweight / robust rings

devildawg2531

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2013
USA
Just received my MPA Ultra Light Hunter in 6.5 CM and love it. Pairing it with the Vortex Razo HD LHT 4.5 - 22x50 x 30mm and I had planned on the Hawkins ultralight rings but these are sold out everywhere I look. What is now recommended for lightweight robust rings? Appreciate the input.

Just received my MPA Ultra Light Hunter in 6.5 CM and love it. Pairing it with the Vortex Razo HD LHT 4.5 - 22x50 x 30mm and I had planned on the Hawkins ultralight rings but these are sold out everywhere I look. What is now recommended for lightweight robust rings? Appreciate the input.
I've got some accutacs for sale that are very nice

Seekins Precision rings are the lightest and strongest rings I've used. Built like a tank, and very light for what they are. They're made of 7075 T6 aircraft aluminum.

Reactions: z71rat
NF ultralight rings are my favorite rings and as name suggests are very lightweight.

Reactions: deersniper
with the Seekins rings (or others) is the medium height at .87 the correct height for the Vortex LHT scope?

with the Seekins rings (or others) is the medium height at .87 the correct height for the Vortex LHT scope?
It will depend on your specific rifle specs.

I use Seekins low rings with my NF NXS 3.5-15x50...but again it fits my specific rifle.

I would say the lows would probably work.....mediums will work, no doubt.

I'm surprised no one has said this yet.. So here we go.

Rifle with scope and regular rings in one hand, rifle with scope and light rings in the other. I bet the farm there is no one in existence who can tell the difference. Regular Seekins 30mm medium rings weigh 2.5ozs. NF Ultralight weighs 3ozs. My Burris Signature Series rings with Polymer inserts are probably behemoths tipping the scales at 3.9ozs. I suspect you may see a swing of 1 to 1.5ozs between the leading ring manufacturers.

With my 12lb rifle, gear, clothing, boots, food, water, ammo, etc, I'm easily at 25 to 30lbs. Which is my every day kit that I manage hunting elk and deer in the Idaho mountains (and I'm 55).. I dont notice a difference in a swing of 4 to 5lbs, let alone 4 to 5 ozs, which is so far under my radar I cant imagine a person who would actually notice it.

Buy the rings you want to use. The weight of a precision machined aluminum component isn't even remotely relevant.

I can't recall the lightweightedness... but I'm a fan of the MDT Premier scope rings. I think they were heavier than the Warne MTs (which I've had issues with) and lighter than the Seekins/Vortex Precision rings.

FYI, Altus Shooting has the Hawkins ultralight tactical lows and highs in stock (no mediums). I've had a few sets of the Hawkins UL tactical and I think they are good. I also have used and liked seekins/vortex PMR and APA/ZCO.

I haven't used them, but the Tier One/Zeiss Ultralight rings might be worth a look (Red Hawk Rifles has them in stock). I've had Badger Ordnance, which were good, and I wouldn't be afraid of the NF UL. Lots of good options.

I can't recall the lightweightedness... but I'm a fan of the MDT Premier scope rings. I think they were heavier than the Warne MTs (which I've had issues with) and lighter than the Seekins/Vortex Precision rings.
The mdt elite rings are all I run now. Absolutely awesome rings. I don't think they can be beat by any ring out there. They have a few things that are unique and they are really well done, plus have the level in the base of the ring as well.

On a Rem 700 with bull barrels and a 20 MOA EGW HD base, I run Seekins 30mm Low (0.82") rings up to 56mm objectives with plenty of clearance.

Talley 1 piece rings. No base. Less than 3 oz. Haven't broken a set yet.

Hawkins Precision Light Tactical
My rifles taken some gnarly tumbles in them and never lost zero

Reactions: D_TROS
Yet being the operative word in this sentence

Lightweight.

If I break my rings but also bend the scope in the process, is it better than a bent scope in intact rings?

Either way I'm going to the spare rifle.

Seekins
NF Ultralights
APA
Hawkins

I really don’t think you could go wrong with any of them. Different heights so just have to pick which ones work for your scope and rifle.

ARC M10 rings nice as well. And low is pretty low.
+1 for ARC M10 rings. I have previously used Seekins and NF UL… and I’ll gladly add the extra 1-2 ounces to my rifle for the ease of setup and bulletproof design of the ARC M10s.

(BTW- based on Seekins website and my own scale, a set of 30mm lows is more like 4-4.5 oz, not 2.5. ARC M10 set in comparable size is 5.6-5.7 oz)

Reactions: 260284
My favourite lightweight rings are Spuhr Hunting series. In this case sitting on a Spuhr rail.

CEOzWpz.jpg

edi