• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight short Suppressor Recomendations

HoosierHunter128

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2021
Indiana
I recently was awarded the right to own a CGS Hyperion by uncle sam. I bought one after blowing out my left eardrum shooting a CA Mesa 6.5 creedmoor with a muzzle break and no hearing protection while whitetail hunting in 2021 Indiana deer season. I’ve hunted for years with no muffs, but never with a muzzle break. After multiple $1100 steroid shots to my ear drum, I'm back to normal now. I have a 12 year old boy that'll be deer hunting with me and able to shoot this year for the first time, and I didn't consider the fact that I'd like for any shot around me to be suppressed too. He won't sit by himself for a couple years yet. I also don't want the same thing that happened to me to happen to him, which means we both need to be suppressed, whether sitting together or apart. My thought is, that Hyperion is awesome, but very long and I now want to buy a short suppressor to be able to add to my 17 HMR for squirrel hunting, and for him to use while deer hunting with me. I'm looking at the Sandman S, or even Sandman K. This will be a secondary can that will mostly be used for a couple shots a year for my boy on his 7mm-08, and I can also use to suppress my 17 HMR. I want it short because when squirrel hunting I'm in the thick of it and want light and short, and also because I don't want to add a bunch of weight or length to a youth rifle. What do you guys think? That sandman is pretty $$$ for the little we'll use it. Any better recommendations?

The kgm line of supressors, they make a 5.5", tbac has the ultra 5 and ultra 7. Q makes the half Nelson or trash panda, both under 7". These are all lightweight titanium cans. Good for hunting use. I'd probably get a dedicated rimfire can for the 17.

I will preface this by saying that I have 3 rimfire cans, 1-556 can, 2-.264 cans, 4-308 cans, and a Silencerco Hybrid. I would recommend a dedicated rimfire suppressor for the .17 hmr and a 30 cal can. The Dead Air Mask is awesome for rimfire. 30 cal I would consider the new Harvester Evo. I don’t have one but I do own two Omegas and a Sandman S. The Sandman series is already a heavier can and requires a muzzle device to mount in addition. The Omegas I use direct thread and save quite a bit of weight. The new harvester looks to be similar but more utilitarian and economic. Check out Rex Silentium as well. I have 2 of their MG7 in .264 and they are very well made. Performance is also good for the size, weight, and price.

The ultra 5 is nice but the harvester Evo is almost half the price, more versatile for mounting, and should suppress better. I haven’t looked into the db but if it is close to the omega then it is definitely better than the ultra 5 and only 3 ounces heavier.

get a 30 caliber can if you decide you might get a new rifle in that caliber otherwise get a thunderbeastinc 6.5 ultra 5 or 7
i got the 30 caliber ultra 7 and moved it back and forth between 223 up to 300PRC

Reactions: HoosierHunter128
The ultra 5 is nice but the harvester Evo is almost half the price, more versatile for mounting, and should suppress better. I haven’t looked into the db but if it is close to the omega then it is definitely better than the ultra 5 and only 3 ounces heavier.

And not built anywhere close to what a thunderbeast is. Suppressors are very much a buy once cry once deal, you can’t just sell it for a slight loss and upgrade. It’s nearly impossible to sell used cans and if you do you’re lucky if you get half price, so not buying the best option for your application is just dumb.

Can’t go wrong with either TBAC or Dead Air. I really like the dead air mask for my squirrel gun and their Nomad Ti for my hunting rifles.

I have a few Omega 300 with Vox titanium caps at both ends. I also have a YHM Resonator K. The K is very small and light and suppressors well for its size. Omegas are a bit bigger and heavier but suppress better.

I wouldn't buy a massive, hard use can for hunting. Unnecessary weight. A 6.5mm Ultra 5 or Ultra 7 is exactly what you need. The U5 won't be super quiet but it will prevent that hearing damage you experienced. It's a shit ton lighter than a REX/ Biscuit or a Dead Air hard use .30cal. If you decide later on that you want a more general purpose can for other rifles down the road then you can get a larger .30 cal can.
I'm thinking I'm just going to get a CGS Hyperion K. Then I can use the same thread adapter for either. The Hyperion K is 6.4" and 10 oz. The Hyperion I have is 9.5" and 15 oz. Dropping 3" and 5 oz should be ok. I'm not finding anything else that's much shorter ( 5" is the shortest I've found) or lighter, and like I said, the Hyperion thread adapter I have will work for either. Those aren't cheap at $85 a piece and I have them on 4 rifles. The CGS Hyperion K is definitely not the most economical option though at $999.

My 2 cents, I know many say you can shoot 17hmr in a sealed can I won’t with mine.

I don’t know if it’s the priming compound or powder or what but it fills suppressors with little sand like specs, and not carbon. 223 and 17 back to back on one of my take apart cans left them full of crap that straight centerfire does not.

I’d get a takedown 22 and a ultra 7.

I'm thinking I'm just going to get a CGS Hyperion K. Then I can use the same thread adapter for either. The Hyperion K is 6.4" and 10 oz. The Hyperion I have is 9.5" and 15 oz. Dropping 3" and 5 oz should be ok. I'm not finding anything else that's much shorter ( 5" is the shortest I've found) or lighter, and like I said, the Hyperion thread adapter I have will work for either. Those aren't cheap at $85 a piece and I have them on 4 rifles. The CGS Hyperion K is definitely not the most economical option though at $999.
What’s the thread adapter weigh? I could never see myself buying a cgs for two reasons. That stupid sig thread spec and what the heck happens when you have a baffle strike on a printed can?

What’s the thread adapter weigh? I could never see myself buying a cgs for two reasons. That stupid sig thread spec and what the heck happens when you have a baffle strike on a printed can?
Thread adapter weighs nearly an ounce

It just seems nice to be able to swap between a long and short lightweight can that can both fit the same adapter. CGS says that its fine to direct thread onto a 90 degree edge, but recommends the adapter.

I suppose that is the only suppressor that will work for that adapter; and that Ultra 5 wouldn't be a fit for it. If the ultra 5 could mount onto the hyperion adapter, I'd get the Ultra 5; the Ultra 5 is lighter and shorter and cheaper

Last edited:
I would not get wrapped up about thread adapters. The direct thread Ultra 5 already has the universal thread adapter on it. It comes in this old school 5/8 by 24 thread pattern. Screw it on your barrel. Be done with it
Yeah, I could do that for my son's youth rifle, but then I wouldn't be able to use that can on my other rifles that already have the Hyperion adapters on, unless it would screw onto the hyperion adapter, which I don't think it would

After thinking through this, I guess because of that damn adapter I pretty well have to get another CGS. I also hadn't considered baffle strikes when I bought the Hyperion... I guess I'm now just hoping for the best, but I haven't heard complaints about that. Not sure a baffle strike would be warrantied, but they are built differently internally, so maybe that's not as big of a concern

And they say these thread adapters provide flexibility.....

You could just take the thread adapter off your hunting rifle. Are you really going to swap back and forth between the hunting can and a non hunting can for your hunting rifle?
I just have a lot of hunting rifles, and I was told to use Rocksett when putting on the adapter, and to make it a permanent fixture by a local gunsmith, or when I screwed the can off, the adapter would screw off too, and that creates other issues. So now talking this through, I pretty well have to get another CGS product because the adapters are semi-permanently affixed to the rifle

Rocksett loosens in boiling water.

If you already have a suppressor and have already mounted muzzle devices to all your barrels why not just use that can?
I will, but I hunt beside my 12 year old, and need to buy a shorter, lighter can for him. And when he’s not using it, I’ll use it to hunt with. The 9+” Hyperion is heavier and longer than I anticipated. Perfect for the range, but not a perfect hunting can

My main deer rifle is a 12.5" 6.8 with a 5" 30PSS hanging off it. Crazy short setup that takes the edge off a few shots if a yote walks out. I don't want to endure more than 4-5 shots without ear pro.

Big difference between it and my 7" SAS reaper and 9" 30P-1(recored ultra gen 2 baffles).

I believe the ultra 7 or another well built 7" can would be your best choice.

There’s a good reason everyone recommends Thunderbeast. One that hasn’t been mentioned is the Thunderbeast Dominus. It’s shorter than the Ultra 7 but fatter (more volume). I wanted exactly what you were after (short and light can for hunting) so I went with the Dominus. Like everyone else said though, you’ll want a dedicated can for rimfire.

Good call. It's the same weight as an Ultra 7 as well. It's just a bit pricey
It’s certainly not cheap. It’s a good all around can being that the performance falls between Ultra 7 and Ultra 9 for DB reduction but also fits well on an AR as well as a precision rifle. It seems to get overlooked often, maybe because of the price.

Have you considered just using a blast warden? I’ve been curious if those are enough to take the edge off when hunting. You probably won’t be able to get a can in time for this season.

I thing we’re missing the point.

My new question is this: I will have this adapter mounted on all of my centerfire rifles.

I believe that pew science does a good job at looking at the big picture, and giving honest results. I had minimal hearing in my left ear when I decided to buy the best suppressor for minimizing sound for a .30 and below. I should have looked into more than just sound reduction, but I was 50% deaf at the time and not thinking clearly. I bought adapters for all of my rifles. I then realized that I actually need 2 suppressors because I hunt beside my son, and I want both of us suppressed. After looking at my huge suppressor, I decided I wanted a smaller, lighter, and shorter suppressor for his rifle, and for me to use when he’s not with me.

Is there any other suppressor that will screw on to the Hyperion adapter and be flush, or do I need to buy the Hyperion k, because that’s the cards I’ve been dealt?

All that adapter does is make your 5/8 or 1/2” thread into the sig taper adapter thread, so if a suppressor has the sig thread it should work, but most don’t. That and it adds length, and weight, it’s more than less than an ounce. I thought about a Hyperion j but did not and would not due to that thread pattern, and the unknown of if a strike happened what is the fix.

If your stuck on that adapter you might as well just keep with that brand.

Personally i see these thick long cans as range toys or for specialized purposes. On an everyday hunting rifle I’ll take a 7” or under 1.5 diameter suppressor. It does the job of knocking down noise, isn’t unwieldy nor does it throw off my rifles balance terribly.

Also fwiw suppression needs to be adequate on a hunting gun but is far from my number one concern. You can look at the numbers you see online all day, but on the end of my hunting rifle it dosnt matter, I’m not screwing on a 9” 1.8 diameter can and walking where I normally do. So while you think pew science numbers are the big picture your missing the real picture when it comes to picking a suppressor for a hunting rifle imo.

I recently was awarded the right to own a CGS Hyperion by uncle sam. I bought one after blowing out my left eardrum shooting a CA Mesa 6.5 creedmoor with a muzzle break and no hearing protection while whitetail hunting in 2021 Indiana deer season. I’ve hunted for years with no muffs, but never with a muzzle break. After multiple $1100 steroid shots to my ear drum, I'm back to normal now. I have a 12 year old boy that'll be deer hunting with me and able to shoot this year for the first time, and I didn't consider the fact that I'd like for any shot around me to be suppressed too. He won't sit by himself for a couple years yet. I also don't want the same thing that happened to me to happen to him, which means we both need to be suppressed, whether sitting together or apart. My thought is, that Hyperion is awesome, but very long and I now want to buy a short suppressor to be able to add to my 17 HMR for squirrel hunting, and for him to use while deer hunting with me. I'm looking at the Sandman S, or even Sandman K. This will be a secondary can that will mostly be used for a couple shots a year for my boy on his 7mm-08, and I can also use to suppress my 17 HMR. I want it short because when squirrel hunting I'm in the thick of it and want light and short, and also because I don't want to add a bunch of weight or length to a youth rifle. What do you guys think? That sandman is pretty $$$ for the little we'll use it. Any better recommendations?
The Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S or Dead Air Nomad-Ti are what you are looking for. 👍🏼

I have shot my OCL Hydrogen-S on most all of my rifles (that are threaded) by now, and just yesterday I did a back-to-back on both my .260 Rem and .308 Win, and it was hearing safe on both, IMO.

7” long, 9.5 oz. HUB threads (accepts any 1.375x24 mounting system), and was 137 DB on a 16” .308 Win. The can is rated up to .300 RUM/Norma Mag with 26” or longer barrels. Highly recommend it. 👍🏼

Most suppressors come with a muzzle device. The YHM Resonator K would be an option because you can either use the included muzzle device or you can unthread the back of the suppressor and install an adapter into it using the standard 1.375-24 threads. There’s better suppressors out there, the YHM just works fairly well, isn’t too heavy and is really affordable.

If you want a dedicated lightweight hunting can there are options out there now as well that are direct thread or that use muzzle devices. I’m not sure if any that have the 1.375-24 threaded body they lets you install an adapter so you could use the muzzle devices you already have, someone else might chime on on that.

Lots of excellent cans out there that can fill that role.

SiCo Omega is a great all purpose can that would be great on a hunting rifle. 6.2" long, fairly light and pretty effective. Pair it with a mount like one of the Rearden's, and it will stay nice and compact. Have one in the arsenal and its a great suppressor, but perhaps a wee bit outdated compared to newer suppressors.

U5 would be shorter and lighter, though I would personally have my hesitations about running a 5" 1.5" can, especially with no hearing protection. If you want to stick with TBAC, I would probably lean towards the Dominus.

CGS Hyperion K seems to be a real performer in this weight class. I would be really tempted to get this suppressor if I was in your shoes.

I have a 30 cal Banish from silencer central. It is modular (can be used in short config), user serviceable so can be used with rimfire and different caliber endcaps are available. It’s Made of titanium and is direct thread. I believe it is manufactured by Mack bros. I am quite happy with mine.

do you have tinnitus even after getting the shots? i did the exact same thing with a SBR ar15 and went to indy got all the shots but my hearing is still shit, and now my left ear rings none stop. this happened about 8 years ago.

do you have tinnitus even after getting the shots? i did the exact same thing with a SBR ar15 and went to indy got all the shots but my hearing is still shit, and now my left ear rings none stop. this happened about 8 years ago.
I got the steroid shot within 3 weeks of the injury. There is a small window to get it fixed. I have zero issues a year later