• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lilja or Criterion 308 barrel

Zebra644

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Ohio
I would like some advise, I am looking at these three barrels. I am finishing a build and am shooting 168 grain FGMM for the paper and will shoot whatever 147 -180 grain I can find at a good price for fun. This rifle will probably only see bench and prone shooting. Max range would 500 yards + or - . I remember the old DPMS LR-308 with the heavy barrel and it was a good shooter, but heavy. Lilja makes nice barrels and the 18 " & 24" 1:11 twist and easy install for my smith, but 4 1/2 pounds heavy on the 24. The Shilen is a 20 inch 1:11 out of Ranier Arms and is on back order for now and I am not in a hurry, and the Criterion I read is a good barrel but I am not that familiar with a 1:12 twist on the 308. They offer a 18.5 in a 1:10 and a 20 -24 " in the 1:12 twist barrel that appear to be also an easy install for my smith. I also have read mixed reviews stating that barrels coming from Fulton Armory do and don't have the M-4 style feed ramps. One positive is that they area Wylde Chamber so it will shoot the .308 Win and 7.62 NATO ammo that can still be bought in bulk. I will try to call Fulton Armory tomorrow and get the correct answer on the M-4 feed ramp issue. I did see another thread about Criterion barrels here,but I don't hijack threads. Since I am only shooting 500 yds max an 18" should do me fine.

Last edited:
Criterion for me. Never used a lilja but got four cbi bbls and all shoot perfect.

I believe Lilja are cut rifled barrels? The Criterion is button rifled. If you want one or the other, that would decide for you. Have never heard a complaint about a criterion. The 1 in 12 twist is omtimized for the 150 grain bullet from what I have read. It would not be good if you ever wanted to single load extra heavy bullets, but they would not fit a mag anyway.

No complaints from my Lilja barrel, even had several informative phone calls with Dan. He knows his biz

I have a 34" Lilja on my 338LM. It will certainly shoot better than I can. Good dealing with Dan, he was very patient as I had a lot of questions. I vacillated on which cartridge I was going to use. We must have emailed about 10 or 12 times before I mad my mind up. I was very pleased with the result.

I've got a couple of Lilja barrels and have always had great results from them, Dan is also good to work with. I ordered a ar1024 barrel today at 3pm and got the ups tracking number before 5pm so he ships them quick to.

James

I have a Fulton Armory Criterion barrel. 18.5" SS 1/10" twist Med weight.
20121014_155746.jpg

Thats a 10 shot 100yd group with 168gr FGMM .7" hor .5" ver (ignore the center group it's a different rifle)

Last edited:
They both are good barrels but I am liking the idea of the ability to shoot .308 ans 7.62 NATO and that is a nice little group thank you for showing InkedIan. Did the barrel have the M-4 ramp on the extension? the Lower I am putting this on has the feed ramps

Last edited:
They both are good barrels but I am liking the idea of the ability to shoot .308 ans 7.62 NATO and that is a nice little group thank you for showing InkedIan. Did the barrel have the M-4 ramp on the extension? the Lower I am putting this on has the feed ramps

It does and I would recommend buying a bolt from them head spaced to the barrel. I did and I got great accuracy and reliability. My barrel is on a remington r25. Btw, at the last steel match I shot with it I did make a first shot hit at 969yds so I think you'll be fine at 500yds.

Last edited:
Just went through the same decision and went with the 20" 1-11 lilja and it was in stock. Shoots fggm 168 less than .75". I have another Lilja in 223 ive got about 4,500 rnds through and still shoots .5". Im happy with the choice. Judt know starting to develop some loads for it.
I also have a 20" Criterion and a 22" Kreiger in 6.5 CM bull barrels from Fulton and both have M4 feed ramps.

At that distance I would choose the 18.5" 1:10 twist barrel. No problems with that length barrel for 500 yards. The 1:10 will stabilize heavier bullets better without causing any problems with 150 grain bullets.

Resurrecting this thread:

Looking for a Rifle Length 18in, is the Lilja worth the extra 200$ over the Fulton Criterion? For another 150$ I can get both barrel and head-spaced BCG from Fulton? Lilja seems like it is going to add 2-300$ to the project cost.

I believe Lilja are cut rifled barrels? The Criterion is button rifled. If you want one or the other, that would decide for you. ...

When you're talking about and lapped barrel that's irrelevant if done correctly. I know Lilja and they're world class barrels. Just ask the guys who hold the record for the longest kill. I don't know anything about Criterion, so I can't say anything to their quality.