• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Limbic system strengthened by TV, fear, and anger.

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
I was talking with my mom yesterday, and she started talking about the effects of T.V on the emotion center of our brains, and in the development of child and adolescent brains. It led me to some pretty interesting reading this morning. It kind of connects some dots with what we see on T.V today, and what we see in real life.

Romans :1- When we exchange the truth of God for a lie the mind becomes futile, darkened and depraved.

Reactions: steve123
So what I glean from a quick scan, lack of sleep prevents in depth, is that man is evil/bad in natural state. Unless changed it will always be bad/evil. Changed by teachings to use a higher level of thinking rather than instinct.

So you read the first Paragraph? :ROFLMAO: Without self control, we act like animals. But the article goes a little deeper than the first paragraph. Generally good writing does give us sort of an overview in the first paragraph, but trying to glean all the information from it is pretty tough.

The point I was making was more along the lines of why appealing to people emotions, specifically millennial who have been raised by a television, is working so well. A reasoned argument does not effect someone with out reason. An emotional argument does not sway someone who is reasonable.

The article is really just a good jumping off point for those interested.

Reactions: Mwalex
IMG_3911.PNG

R

Raised by a TV vs raised by parents (plural) will not have the teachings to use a higher function of the brain instead of being base emotional which is basically naturally bad?
So you read the first Paragraph? :ROFLMAO: Without self control, we act like animals. But the article goes a little deeper than the first paragraph. Generally good writing does give us sort of an overview in the first paragraph, but trying to glean all the information from it is pretty tough.

The point I was making was more along the lines of why appealing to people emotions, specifically millennial who have been raised by a television, is working so well. A reasoned argument does not effect someone with out reason. An emotional argument does not sway someone who is reasonable.

The article is really just a good jumping off point for those interested.
An emotional argument will not sway a person who is grounded in their beliefs/teachings.
I guess I missed something and will check it out later after a nap.

Good one. Lewis wrote some great stuff.

I phrase it a bit differently.

Jefferson said, "Knowledge is Power."

I made myself somewhat unpopular at Mr. Jefferson's University by quipping:

"Knowledge may be power but power without wisdom is folly."

Reactions: camotoe
So, overall, a decent article and I largely agree with the main thrust. The problem is now even worse; TV has largely been replaced by the internet for many people, and it's even more toxic to the human brain and body. Giving smart phones and social media to adolescents is potentially as harmful as handing them hard drugs.

The solution is the simple - get outside, find real people and talk about real things (goals and plans, not gossip and news), get some exercise, eat properly, get sleep, read books, pray or meditate regularly. This is pretty basic stuff that is advocated by most religions in some form. One will notice that TV and electronic communication interfere with all of these activities; shit, some people even let it interfere with sex. That's how you know you're up against the devil himself.

So, overall, a decent article and I largely agree with the main thrust. The problem is now even worse; TV has largely been replaced by the internet for many people, and it's even more toxic to the human brain and body. Giving smart phones and social media to adolescents is potentially as harmful as handing them hard drugs.

The solution is the simple - get outside, find real people and talk about real things (goals and plans, not gossip and news), get some exercise, eat properly, get sleep, read books, pray or meditate regularly. This is pretty basic stuff that is advocated by most religions in some form. One will notice that TV and electronic communication interfere with all of these activities; shit, some people even let it interfere with sex. That's how you know you're up against the devil himself.
I wont use the meme but "How dare you?"