• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Limbsaver Sharpshooter X-ring Barrel Dampener results

Mr. Wolf

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Heartland
Sharing my results from today’s range time. This is only a sample of 1 and more testing needs to be done.
Product link (no affiliation, no sponsorship):
https://limbsaver.com/products/sharpshooter-x-ring-barrel-dampener

As you are probably aware, my experience with the Savage B22 Precision (B22P) has been a mixed bag.
For the price, the MDT chassis, 1.5 lb Accutrigger and 18”threaded barrel appeared to check all the boxes for a base class NRL22 build. However, the non supported cartridge feeding resulting in scratched bullet driving bands and frequent stuck fired casings left much to be desired.

I had intended to do a side by side test with the CZ457 Pro Varmint (CZ 457) but I assessed that the difference in the scope magnification and bipod would outweigh the difference of shooting on a different day. After breaking in the CZ457 and being satisfied with the results of my 6x5 @50 yards with a .360” average, I got the itch to break in and test the B22P. Previously, the B22P would shoot SK Flatnose Match, SK Std+, Lapua Biathlon Extreme and CCI SV no better than .75” for 5 shots @50 yards.

The weather today was a chilly 40F with 41% humidity, winds were 10-11MPH from 12 o’clock with shifts to 10-11 o’clock. The groups were shot prone with a bipod and rear bag. To give the B22P the best opportunity, I transferred the Atlas CAL bipod and Athlon Argos BTR gen2 6-24x50 over from the CZ457 to the B22P. The B22P barrel is a 18” threaded barrel with a .800“ diameter.

After shooting 250 rounds of bulk ammo, I switch to shooting 50 yard groups. I started with the Fiocchi SV and worked the barrel tuner down from the barrel to thread protector junction after shooting a 5 shot group approximately 1/2” closer to the chamber. The results showed gradual improvement in group size and pattern, but I ran out of the Fiocchi SV. So I switched to the CCI SV and shot 10 shots to season the barrel and shot the following groups.

My unofficial B22P 6x5 with the Limbsaver X-ring at 2.5” from the muzzle was .739” with best group of .551”
A7DB242B-E044-4732-966A-83A2ABAD5B62.jpeg
2C07A6F7-1CEB-4DC4-944E-1D01991915F3.jpeg
273EAB85-6A21-4AF7-844F-35D2586A568A.jpeg
2126A015-726F-4091-A00D-A56F3A26EF5F.jpeg

I did try 2 groups at 100 yards with the following results (I don’t know where the 5th shot went on the 1st group):
C44FB009-2B35-4436-8CE4-3F1C895991BD.jpeg
5F55E700-213A-419E-8A1C-EE63F58F3FEE.jpeg

Here is the rifle set-up:
23FAC671-88EF-425E-98F6-B04B044D589D.jpeg
46BBBDAA-8A32-4E2A-9ECC-AC05674E8E51.jpeg

Observations:
1. Even bundled up and shooting off a padded mat, 40F and 10 MPH in gray overcast weather feels cold fast.
2. Low sample experience: The Limbsaver X-ring shifts in 1/2“ increments showed gradual improvement in the size and shape of the groups.
3. Low sample experience: The unofficial 6x5 group of .739” and best .551” was the most precise this rifle has shot the CCI SV in less than ideal weather conditions.
4. Opinion: I felt that the higher magnification scope and Atlas CAL bipod made a difference in my groups.
5. Opinion: If previous experience holds, higher quality ammo such as the SK RM and Lapua CenterX may shoot tighter groups (SK Std+ previously shot better than the CCI SV). More testing coming as weather, time and ammo selection dictates.
6. Opinion: The Limbsaver may work better with thinner longer barrels vs. a bull barrel. The .800” B22P barrel might be able to squeeze a bit more precision out of the Limbsaver with some ammo and position tuning.
7. Opinion: The Limbsaver is ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty may be defined by how much you appreciate form over function. The ugly stick isn’t so bad since the cost was low ($11), easily removable, and could even be beautiful if it can win matches.

Happy to answer any questions or clarify as needed.
YMMV, happy shooting

Attachments

• E72E90A8-2EBF-4993-8134-D67D837AE089.jpeg
    E72E90A8-2EBF-4993-8134-D67D837AE089.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 9726C93C-CA58-4FAA-B7A9-1DCDA42BB8C9.jpeg
    9726C93C-CA58-4FAA-B7A9-1DCDA42BB8C9.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 4968CF75-0360-4DB4-BC01-C739BF00214D.jpeg
    4968CF75-0360-4DB4-BC01-C739BF00214D.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 89
  • FFFBB878-7CD8-4C10-A22B-BEEB63857CC9.jpeg
    FFFBB878-7CD8-4C10-A22B-BEEB63857CC9.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Reactions: JimTN and Caihlen
Very interesting I was thinking about doing the same thing. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your results and I'm probably going to try to do some of my own testing also.
Good luck

I feel like this should have the same effect on a barrel as on a tennis racquet.
Most put a solid rubber ring at the bottom of the racquet in the strings.
It totally changes the harmonics and the feel of the impacts.
I’d think the same would apply to most barrels. That rubber ball on the barrel should absorb some of the harmonics and adds weight.
Less harmonics traveling down the barrel equals less movement.
So theoretically it should help.
How much? No idea.
Is it ugly? Yup
Is it worth it? That’s up to the shooter.
Just my 2c

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
I feel like this should have the same effect on a barrel as on a tennis racquet.
I’d think the same would apply to most barrels. That rubber ball on the barrel should absorb some of the harmonics and adds weight.
How much? No idea.
Is it ugly? Yup
Just my 2c
Mulish - thank you. I hope you post your results as well. I wanted to put this up since most of the other posts I found online had minimal data and not much more than 1 or 2 isolated groups. Your added data could make this much more interesting/relevant.

Kickin45 - 100% agree with you. In rimfire, we can’t control the internal ballistics since we don’t (for all practical purposes at this point in time) hand load 22LR to match the harmonics of our barrel. In a sense, these tuners and dampeners are changing the barrel properties to optimize groups.

Before installing the Limbsaver X-ring, when I dryfired the B22P (even with #4 wall anchors as a “snap-cap”) there would be a “ping”. Now there is only a “thwack”. I’m sure there is both a dampening and weight related changes in the barrel harmonics.

Next up, CCI SV and SK Std+ testing. I plan to shoot 4 groups of 5 to find the best Limbsaver position, then shoot 6x5 groups with both ammo.

YMMV, happy shooting.

I have a 300 wm ruger hawkeye for over 10 years and i put this dampener on its thin hunting barrel and was amazed to see groups go from 1.5 inch to sub moa....highly recommended for lightweight barrels...it just works. fyi i had the barrel cryo processed as well.

Various ammo testing today with a newly cleaned Savage B22 precision @ 50 yds.
91% humidity, 69F, 5-7 MPH tailwinds.
TBAC 22 TD and Limbsaver at 1.5”.

First up, SK std+. 6x5 avg .642”, best .324”. Not impressed. I could almost imagine the bullet spiraling vs dropping in.
B60443C0-807A-4B61-84F6-23EB3F6C0FA4.jpeg

Next up, SK RM. This lot shoots 6x5 deep into .3” on the CZ 457 and 10/22+Kidd ULW barrel. 6x5 avg .587”, best .383”. Better but still not up to my standards. Again, I could imagine the bullets spiraling down range into the target.
E6ACE533-69D8-436F-AE80-3FB530C58D76.jpeg

Last up, Eley Practice 100. I got some in from Killough’s yesterday so what the heck. The winds had picked up and started to get switchy but I was waiting for a range member to sell some ammo. After 10 shots of seasoning, I settled in and shot the following group on the target I was using for sighters/scope zero. The shots felt different and I could imagine the bullets dropping in vs spiraling into the target.
8235A7DD-0CD5-4788-AF26-F029478B3B7E.jpeg

I’ve not had luck with the Eley Club and Target but these Eley flat-point bullets shot very well. 6x5 avg .392”, best .245”
Looks like I’ve finally found the ammo and set up that this rifle likes! I am confident that with more practice and in calmer conditions, it can shoot better.

Lastly, here is what I did to test the SK ammo for the best group with the Limbsaver x-ring. I shot the SK groups with it at 1”, and the Eley
image.jpg

Thanks for following me through this project. I hope to shoot out to 100 yards in the future with the SK RM and Eley Practice 100.
YMMV, happy shooting

Last edited:
Mr. Wolf - Thanks for this essay. Love the pics and targets. I have the B22 FV and just got a Limbsaver x-ring, but my range is under 2 ft of snow (Eastern New Brunswick-CAN) and I'd have to snowshoe about a mile to get there as the driveway isn't plowed - not enough interest in Winter. I've had the B22 since Sept and fired about 500 rounds. I've found that CCI-SV and Fed Champion 40g SV do fairly well and I just got some SK+ but haven't fired it yet. Maybe in Spring . . .
Here's a 'sampler' I shot in Dec - the FBP & Rem Golden are HV so I used MOA holds to bring them down to target. All are 50yds with a Bushnell Engage Deploy MOA SFP-SF 6-18x50. I zeroed with the Fed Champion across the top, then fired others w/o seasoning shots. It was 40* w/10km wind and overcast -I know what you mean about 'feels cold fast' - I was out for about 3 hours w 3 rifles and 'gave up'.

Range 12-21-2020 B22 50yd Sampler.JPG

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
Thanks and Good shooting on your part as well.
The B22 Precision has been the hardest of my rifles to learn to shoot. The buttstock has to be situated on the inner half of my collar bone and I have to make a conscious effort to relax all tension out of the shooting shoulder. The B22 precision also seems to like Eley but not the SK or CCI SV variety.
Eley flat point is a bit more finicky about feeding on the first round but ensuring the cartridge is seated fully rearward and cycling the bolt at a moderately fast pace seems to work well.

lastly, I doubled up on the extractor clip and replaced the extractor. I shot around 175 rounds today and zero failures to extract or eject. Keeping focus on the position and not breaking cheekweld to work extraction issues undoubtedly contributed to the improved accuracy.

YMMV, happy shooting

Last edited:
How much? No idea.
Is it ugly? Yup
Just my 2c
I got so excited I didn’t read the whole post ,when I hung a tennis racket on my barrel it kind of sucked and made it hard to shoot prone.

Last edited: