• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

List of pros and cons: action for custom build

Snakum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Sandhills
Since I'm going back to work (which sucks) I'm probably going to start ordering parts for the custom build now instead of this Fall. The rifle will be used for long range tactical comp, probably some F-Class/TR, and for hunting the bean fields. StrictlyRUM is doing the build and of course he'll weigh in, too. But I wanted to get a final opinion on the action to use. Here's what I have so far from scrounging the net:

Savage - very accurate, inexpensive (stainless SA < $500), well known, user-swappable barrels (easily changed and headspaced), quality is very good as a rule, three-way safety is nice, and I like that the mag sits flush in the stock right where my hand rests for unsupported firing. But I'm having problems with the Accutrigger on my FCPK, aftermarket support is not as extensive as 700 based actions, and resale will not be very high relative to true custom actions.

Remington - very well known, can be made very accurate, relatively inexpensive compared to true custom actions, loads of aftermarket support. But it requires machine work to reach accuracy potential, the two-way safety blows chunks (I hated having my bolt opening on its own while stalking the woods), quality can be hit-or-miss, Badger and CDI bottom metals have the mag sticking out right where my hand rests for unsupported shooting, and resale will not be as high as with custom actions.

GAP Templar - hugely accurate, high resale, top notch quality, any smith familiar with the 700 action knows this action well, also. But it is very expensive, and has some of the negatives the 700 action does.

Badger - very accurate, giant bolt and receiver, very durable and rugged, it's "different". But it adds weight, there were issues with some versions of it not cocking/firing, depending on the stock it will likely have the protruding mag problem when shooting off-hand.

Surgeon - based on what little I know so far it shares many of the same pros and cons as the GAP Templar.

For the win ... if ya had to pick, which one and why?

Re: List of pros and cons: action for custom build

if cost is an issue then the Surgen RSR action , hard to beat for the money , I don't think it will be any less accurate or reliable that their 591 action

if you have plenty of time then you can piece a action together from Defiance machine , get the reciever , then little while later get a bolt from PT&G , and so on.

the Badger reciever is awsome , built like a tank and the weight and bulk shows it , if weight is not an option its a great action !!

If I had the money GAP or Surgeon. The level of precision that goes into them, along with the durability puts them on the top of my list, YMMV.

However, on my financial budget I'm more limited to the trued Remington actions for builds. So other than getting to play with one Templar actioned rifle, and fondle a Surgeon 591 actioned rifle, I'll probably never get much closer to owning one anytime soon.

I couldn't find out whether or not the Surgeon and Templar actions were three-way or the plain old two. Anyone know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I couldn't find out whether or not the Surgeon and Templar actions were three-way or the plain old two. Anyone know?</div></div>

If you referring to the number of bolt lugs, then both of them are two lug bolts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 468shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I couldn't find out whether or not the Surgeon and Templar actions were three-way or the plain old two. Anyone know?</div></div>

If you referring to the number of bolt lugs, then both of them are two lug bolts.

</div></div>

i think he is refering to the safety mod.

Gentry makes a great three position safety for the bolt shroud (like Win M-70) they work very well

My mistake...I haven't quite waken up this morning. His question makes a lot more sense now. Thanks.

I am currently building a Savage/Stevens, I picked up a Stevens 7mm-08 for $220 at Academy! Sharp Shooter Supply offers most everything you will need and alot of Savage owners agree that you can build a very accurate rifle without spending the money on truing the reciever. My total planned build is less than $1400 and I can switch calibers anytime I want to with a barrel nut wrench.

Savages are the red headed stepchild of the precision rifle community but their factory rifles have won Nat'l titles and they actually listen to their customers unlike big green.
You are the only one that will know what will work best for what you want so best of luck and enjoy your project.

I'd pass on the Savage and to my knowledge, GAP won’t sell just a Templar Receiver so they're out as well.

From your list that leaves Badger, Remington & two Surgeon offerings, the RSR & 591. Don’t forget Defiance Machine either. They make my signature receiver and the Templar for GAP.

The Remington 700 will require work to be on par with the others so if starting from scratch, I'd nix the 700 as well. The short list would be as follows;

Surgeon 591
Surgeon RSR
Defiance Machine

For me, I went Defiance Machine and made the modifications I wanted and felt the receivers needed. No matter the receiver you choose, any of the ones I've listed will work and do so in grand fashion.

Other components would be;

Krieger Barrels
Surgeon DBM
McMillan Rifle Stocks
Jewell, Shilen or Rifle Basix Trigger

Good luck

I have GAP rifles with Surgeon and Badger actions. Both are excellent and I have had zero problems with either. The Badger is two generations to my knowledge. The first gen was up to serial 100 and the second gen is what is out there now. I have a first gen action and I did send my first gen bolt back to Badger for free update. I had no problems with Badger action both before and after update. I have shot both rifles in field matches. I would say you could not go wrong with either. The Badger feature that you can use AI AW mags which are shorter than the AICS mags would make me pick Badger if I was going to build another rifle.

You also can choose Stiller or Lawton Machine. IMO, using a Rem700 is not cost effective-considering the labor it takes to blueprint it.

ANY of the actions listed will work well. The most important part of the equation is the gunsmith. Because without a skilled hand involved-all you end up with is an assembly of expensive parts and not a PRECISION rifle.

What about the Big Horn Arms action? I just ordered a complete rifle from Mark in .308 - that action is very well made. I think he's got them in stock.

William Roscoe is making a .308 for me with a Big Horn Arms action. I spoke at length with AJ Goddard about the action, and everything we discussed sold me on the design. When I picked it up from my FFL, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the action was, and the machining is top notch. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Thanks for all the help. Down to the Savage or the Surgeon RSR. Still have issues with the mag profile. Since I've started shooting a lot of unsupported, and will do a lot if it in hunting season, the Remington DBMs all sticking out right where I balance is an issue. I fondled a TRG recently in which the protruding mag is surrounded on two sides by the stock skins and it balances well without the mag digging onto my hand. The AICS system and the 700 with Badger or CDI mags, even with the five round mag, dig into my hand and affect my accuracy. Anyone have suggestions about the mag issue? I need a DBM and don't want a blind mag. But that protrusion kills my off hand shooting. Is there a Remington 700 stock system similar to the TRG that lets you cradle right at the mag without difficulty?

Edit ... forgot to mention that I checked out the Big Horn. Pretty interesting.

Thanks again.

Snakum,
Talk to strictlyRUM about actions, he might have a few recommendations that you like
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help. Down to the Savage or the Surgeon RSR. Still have issues with the mag profile. Since I've started shooting a lot of unsupported, and will do a lot if it in hunting season, the Remington DBMs all sticking out right where I balance is an issue. I fondled a TRG recently in which the protruding mag is surrounded on two sides by the stock skins and it balances well without the mag digging onto my hand. The AICS system and the 700 with Badger or CDI mags, even with the five round mag, dig into my hand and affect my accuracy. Anyone have suggestions about the mag issue? I need a DBM and don't want a blind mag. But that protrusion kills my off hand shooting. Is there a Remington 700 stock system similar to the TRG that lets you cradle right at the mag without difficulty?

Edit ... forgot to mention that I checked out the Big Horn. Pretty interesting.

Thanks again. </div></div>

Have the action machined to run AW mags. The double stack should have the magazine ride higher and I believe if you use a AICS, it should be pretty much flush with the stock.

But out of all the aftermarket actions I have played with so far, I would probably go with either the BAT or Big Horn. At least those 2 offer something different then all the other 700 clones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snakum,
Talk to strictlyRUM about actions, he might have a few recommendations that you like
wink.gif
</div></div>

Oh definitely. He and I have discussed it, and he's totally cool with Savage, but I wanted to take one more pass.

I tried out an AICS last weekend in Fayettenam and the five round mag does protrude a bit past the skins. Only the Savage and TRG rides flush for off-hand, as far as I can tell.

Started the new job today and will have lots of money for a new whiz bang rifle. But now I won't have time to shoot much between work and school.
frown.gif

the hs precision mag system is flush when you run a 4rd mag and you could use that with the defiance/templar, surgeon, rem, stiller etc...

just throwing out options

Snakum,
Ask Jason about his action, its a good one, if you use a AICS chasis the 5 rd magazine fits flush with the bottom of the skins and doesnt protrude. The AW mag is what i run and it sticks out past the skins maybe an inch.

One thing is for sure. Fuck a savage action!! I know i Know! They still suck!!! If you work as hard as i do for your money dont waste it on a savage!! Lee

If you're doing a completely custom build, then dont bother with a mass produced rifle action.

Do it right, or go home.

If you're intentions are semi custom... then a commercial action makes sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing is for sure. Fuck a savage action!! I know i Know! They still suck!!! If you work as hard as i do for your money dont waste it on a savage!! Lee </div></div>

why? where's your reasoning other than "cause i said so"? the hate-savage-mentality is so ridiculous on here...the actions have proven them selves time and time again to be MORE accurate out of the box than remington, FOR LESS cost..no, i'm not comparing it to a complete custom action...but if i were, i'm sure the savage would be very competitive against them (hell, look how the savage factory team does)

Do you really think team savage just picks any old savage barrel to shoot with!! The only thing that makes a savage accurate is the floating bot head. If the action was built correctly from the get go, it wouldnt need a floating head. And that accu trigger is a joke! Savage barrels are no better than a remington barrel either. Dont get me wrong. I dont look down on anyone who chooses to shoot a savage. We still all have the same big picture in mind, after all we are all riflemen. I just work to dam hard to buy such a piece! And as always, this is just how i see it. Nothing personal!! Lee

3 position safetys are ridiculous. Your bolt will not "open" in the feild. Remington and savage actions are in the same feild, the time I have had behind both one does not seem more "accurate" than the other. Also I am almost positive GAP will not sell there Templar actions as stand alones either. With everything said I would build a custom action build with any of the great smiths on the hide. If you are going to spend the money I would throw the savage and Remington idea out the window, not that there is anything wrong with either but if your going to do it, do it right.

I am not being sarcastic either, just my .02 cents.

I have four of Lawton actions. For 700 an action. I got action,recoil lug,pict.rail. Not bad for 700.