• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lithgow 'Heavy' SMLE .303

digger9523

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not long aquired this old girl!

IMG_1423_zps75784477.jpg

IMG_1425_zps6cee4e61.jpg

IMG_1429_zps4df33d99.jpg

IMG_1431_zps2bf6c41e.jpg

IMG_1432_zps6bb0393b.jpg

She's a 1917 vintage Lithgow that was fitted with a Lithgow heavy barrel while still in service, so would most likely have been a designated marksman/sharpshooter rifle.

Not had any time to get her on the range, sourcing some ammo proved harder than i thought, but got some now. Wanting to get out after some deer with her as well.

I was under the impression that the rear sight was not installed on heavy barrels.
Very nice rifle.

I was under the impression that the rear sight was not installed on heavy barrels.
Very nice rifle.

Oh they were fitted alright! All the 'in service' rifles were done properly, ie the block that the sight is mounted on:

676889207_o_zps8e00b256.jpg

was reamed out for a precise fit on the heavy barrel.

I've seen many that were done 'out bush' by civvy target shooters, and most of those were sawn straight through the middle front to back, knocked on into place and then brazed on! Got the job done i s'pose!

Looks beautiful. A question for those H barrel owners if I may. What are the OD dimensions of the H barrel? I have read that later general production of SMLE's may have benefited from this improvement. This would have affected Lithgow Australia who made No1 Mk3’s until 1955, and Ishapore, India who made the 2a .308 No1 Mk3 until 1973, and the .303 No1 Mk3 until 1988.

I was wondering; does anyone have (or have pictures of) the galileo type telescopic sights for the Enfields? I remember seeing an old photo of a set, but was curious if anyone physically had a set? I seem to recall that they hooked around the front site and the rear site(?). It was just two pieces of glass, ground for the distance between the two lenses on the rifle, no tube.

Nice rifle!

For range/target work try HPS 174gr SMK Target Master Ammunition from HPS

For stalking, get in touch with Kynamco Kynoch Ammunition home page

I'm thinking about also giving Kynamco's .303 Match a run through my Enfields

Thanks for those links mate, very much appreciated.

Got 50 Sellior and Bellot FMJ and 40 Federal 150gn soft points for the deer, just need to have a blast on the range so I know what they're doing. :)

You're welcome.

Got to love the .303! Great round to shoot - much more comfortable than the 30-06, 8x57 or 7.62x54R

Let us know how the old girl gets on.

Last edited:
Lovely and interesting posts.

1957 MkII wood set and 7.62X51 project.

Lithgow range rifle

Good Day,
When it was still possible to purchase and ship parts from overseas, I was bought an unissued heavy barrel and teak stock set for a dealer in Australia. I used a Lithgow 1916 action built my version of a range rifle. I know teak isn't the best shooting wood but it was darn pretty! The rear sight base and front lug was reamed out and installed per the original specs. I added the repo HT cheekpiece and it lined up perfectly with the Central rear sight. I've had the rifle for nearly 10 years but still haven't shot it. One day I guess :)

Michael

Attachments

• DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00044.jpg
    DSC00044.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Good Day,
When it was still possible to purchase and ship parts from overseas, I was bought an unissued heavy barrel and teak stock set for a dealer in Australia. I used a Lithgow 1916 action built my version of a range rifle. I know teak isn't the best shooting wood but it was darn pretty! The rear sight base and front lug was reamed out and installed per the original specs. I added the repo HT cheekpiece and it lined up perfectly with the Central rear sight. I've had the rifle for nearly 10 years but still haven't shot it. One day I guess :)

Michael

Beautiful stock. You wouldn't happen to know the barrel dia. at the muzzle. I'd like to compare to my Ishaphore 2A1.

Nice mate, ive been looking for a decent 1915, 1916 or 1917 myself, here's a pic of my matching 1918 that was FTR'd in 19
photo.jpgLithgow SMLE.jpgLithgow .jpg

Jolly