• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Little Crow Gunworks World's Finest Trimmer

WyomingShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Fremont County, WY
Gentlemen -

These are my initial impressions of the Little Crowgunworks World's Finest Trimmer WFT. Disclaimer: Although I've loaded tens of thousands of handgun cartridges, I'm new to rifle cartridge reloading. So, consider the source.

In short, the WFT works very well. It trims cases quickly and accurately. Here is a good video showing the WFT in use.

The only problem, of my own creation, was initially setting the WFT to trim to the proper length. I screwed around for way too long trying to adjust the WFT to get to my .243 Win trim length of 2.035". The much better way, described in the instructions of course, is as follows: 1. Get an empty case trimmed to the proper length; 2. Set the trimmed case base down on your bench; 3. Loosen the set screws on the WFT; 4. Set the WFT on the trimmed case allowing the cutting blades to rest on the case mouth; 5. Tighten the set screws; 6. Insert WFT in drill press and trim away. Notes - I set my drill press to its hightest RPM for best results and blade life is unknown to me.

Bottome line: the WFT is a great tool that takes some of the tedium out of the loading process without sacrificing accuracy. Highly recommended.

Re: Little Crow Gunworks World's Finest Trimmer

I like it too! I got the 338LM trimmer and is awesome...if only it chamfered and deburred like the forster 3in1 cutter but it serves me well.

Looks to be about the same speed as the Giraud, but doesnt chamfer/deburr.

I've been looking to get one of these for my 6.5 creedmoor. Seems like a great product.. I hate using the lee trimmer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking to get one of these for my 6.5 creedmoor. Seems like a great product.. <span style="color: #FF0000">I hate using the lee trimmer. </div></div></span>

I know this is not the subject of this thread but...Use a couple of your sized cases for reference, and chuck the Lee cutter/case length gage in a drill press or lathe and polish it down with emery cloth until it just slips easily in the case neck by hand. This speeds up the Lee trimmer process considerably when you don't have to use pliers etc to pull the trimmer out of the case.

i dont like the fact that it measures from the shoulder , if my shoulders are different then the cuts will be different.. right ?

Mr. Mallard - I'd say "yes, but no". Yes, the case is indexed off the shoulder in the trimmer. No, that doesn't seem to affect the accuracy of the trim. I measured all of my trimmed cases and they were very consistent. Again, take all this from a guy who is new to rifle cartridge reloading and this tool. Best regards, ELN.

they work very well indeed and are easy to setup, I have 4 of them now and can trim 7 different calibers. Consistency is excellent and this tool is super fast also.
Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont like the fact that it measures from the shoulder , if my shoulders are different then the cuts will be different.. right ?</div></div>

Right... but unless you are doing something funky during your case sizing process, that shouldn't be an issue. Bumping the shoulder a consistent amount (assuming you F/L size) should be a matter of course for most precision rifle reloading. If you get consistent headspace from your sizing die, you don't have much to worry about with this trimmer (or a Giraud, which also references off the shoulder). Will it be as accurate, in an absolute sense, as say a LE Wilson trimmer w/ micrometer head? Not in my experience... but plenty close enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks to be about the same speed as the Giraud, but doesn't chamfer/deburr. </div></div>For $69.95 vs. $425 I'll chamfer and deburr by hand.

I have 3: 223, 308(243,260, etc.) and 300wsm.

Dead on every time unless it's me.

have run about 1500 cases thru it. still cutting fine. still have to debur, but no more sore fingers locking and unlocking the case holder.

Is the Little Crow any different from the Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Little Crow any different from the Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer?
</div></div>I don't have a Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer but looking at the web site the basic concept is similar. Index on the shoulder. From there everything is different. Perhaps they work identically in performance. Cost for Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer with a power adapter is less.

I have a Possum Hollow Deluxe Flash Hole Deburring Tool and it is far better than the big brand Flash Hole Deburring Tool I have as well so if the case trimmer is of similar quality I believe it will work just fine. Obviously they cater to the accuracy shooters based on their standard calibers.

I'll stick with my Little Crow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred Seaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks to be about the same speed as the Giraud, but doesn't chamfer/deburr. </div></div>For $69.95 vs. $425 I'll chamfer and deburr by hand.

I have 3: 223, 308(243,260, etc.) and 300wsm.

Dead on every time unless it's me. </div></div>

Its very easy to judge a superior product as overpriced when one doesn't own one, IMHO the my Giraud is the best money I ever spent on a reloading tool.

i can buy a lot of powder, primers, and bullets for 425$. guess it all depends on what our time is worth. mine was worth more than the 20$ for a lee case trimmer, but not so much to spend for the best. i,m happy with the little crow. i,d love the Giraud, but can,t justify the cost.

More time shooting and less time reloading, I can respect not being to afford the high end tools, but I will show no pitty to those who dismiss the usefulness of such tools based on price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More time shooting and less time reloading, I can respect not being to afford the high end tools, but I will show no pitty to those who dismiss the usefulness of such tools based on price. </div></div>I respect your choice of tools but it is just that, your choice.

Your presentation of your argument for your choice of tools appears to me to be sanctimonious, it is probably not your intent. I suspect your intent is to present your choice of tools from experience with a better tool, a good thing.

If I shot only one caliber, my choice might be different but I shoot 6 rifle calibers at the moment and I like my WFT's for now.

my WFT for .223 arrives today........i'm going from a Possum Hollow trimmer to the WFT.

My issues with the Possum Hollow:
1. chatter
The cutting blade chatters on the brass if you start out slow sometimes

2. crude adjustment
You loose the set screw and you're out of adjustment... To secure the trimmer in the drill adapter, you run the set screw through both holes...that's fine for a lot of folks, but I use the drill adapter for my inside/outside de-burr tool as well... I wish they'd have put a set screw on both sides so I could utilize just 1 for locking the cutter. This is something I'm doing myself.

3. Soft metal
The trimmer body is soft steel...very soft. If you go to tighten up the set screw and barely use too much oomph, you'll strip it...

4. galls cases, badly
The case rides on the shoulder...and there's no bearing for it to ride on...so basically it just spins against the trimmer! To get a consistent trim you have to use some pressure...this in turn galls the shoulder on the trimmer...and can, in situations, lead to ununiform cuts...as you remove material (although very slightly)

5. poor machining
You can, easily, cock the case to the side and have the trimmer unsquare to the case...I'm not sure if the trimmer is cut loose so that more cases can fit...but it's exceedingly loose

I hope that the WFT fixes these issues...the galling I know they do, as the brass rides on a bearing..so that's good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my WFT for .223 arrives today........i'm going from a Possum Hollow trimmer to the WFT.

My issues with the Possum Hollow:
1. chatter
The cutting blade chatters on the brass if you start out slow sometimes

2. crude adjustment
You loose the set screw and you're out of adjustment... To secure the trimmer in the drill adapter, you run the set screw through both holes...that's fine for a lot of folks, but I use the drill adapter for my inside/outside de-burr tool as well... I wish they'd have put a set screw on both sides so I could utilize just 1 for locking the cutter. This is something I'm doing myself.

3. Soft metal
The trimmer body is soft steel...very soft. If you go to tighten up the set screw and barely use too much oomph, you'll strip it...

4. galls cases, badly
The case rides on the shoulder...and there's no bearing for it to ride on...so basically it just spins against the trimmer! To get a consistent trim you have to use some pressure...this in turn galls the shoulder on the trimmer...and can, in situations, lead to ununiform cuts...as you remove material (although very slightly)

5. poor machining
You can, easily, cock the case to the side and have the trimmer unsquare to the case...I'm not sure if the trimmer is cut loose so that more cases can fit...but it's exceedingly loose

I hope that the WFT fixes these issues...the galling I know they do, as the brass rides on a bearing..so that's good. </div></div>

You will be really pleased with the WFT. Every one of the 5 things you just listed would be a deal breaker for me. In fact, it is very likely that I would have thrown that tool in the trash.

For you guys with the WFT how much can you trim? will the cutter take 2mm off a 223 case easily and repeatably? (may be a new word LOL)

Curios if it will aid in trimming my 223 brass down for 25-223 or even 300black.

Thanks

wow...i got mine....i set it up and put some locktite on the set screws...and yes, i LOVE it! it's so much easier and faster than a manual trimmer...and even the possum hollow!

I gotta put together some kind of chuck/motor setup that I can put into a wooden box and permamount to my table now lol...hate having to actually HOLD the drill and button down when I have to change a case so fast

GSRswapandslow, I appreciate you taking the time to write your impressions of the WFT. I'm going to order one now. #1 and #4 are also my big issues with the PH Trimmer. I could live with the rest as all and all the PH was better than what I was using before. However, I'll happily replace it with a WFT if it solves the chatter and galling.

Looks pretty slick. I hat prepping brass. Anything to make the job more efficient is a good thing.

have run about 4000 cases thru my wft. i know it uses a 3/8 end mill for a cutter. question for you machinist types. would an end mill with 4 blades cut smoother and leave less of a bur than the two blade the wft comes with? grizzley has a few i,d like to try, but if it won,t make a difference, i,ll save my frog skins for more powder and such

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winterhorse290</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have run about 4000 cases thru my wft. i know it uses a 3/8 end mill for a cutter. question for you machinist types. would an end mill with 4 blades cut smoother and leave less of a bur than the two blade the wft comes with? grizzley has a few i,d like to try, but if it won,t make a difference, i,ll save my frog skins for more powder and such </div></div>Speeds and feeds

My hard Winchester 300WSM brass chatters. I may look for in my box or order a new finish cut 3/8 4 blade and see.

Has anyone had any problems trimming .260 cases in the .308 trimmer? Does it still hold it tight enough to keep the cutting face square to the case?

If you have a bunch of brass to trim, like several hundred, I have found that a rubber exam glove gives me more grip, so I don't have to hold the hull so tightly. Hand doesn't cramp so soon. YMMV...

wish i had thought of that 5000 cases ago

WFT arrived a few days ago. Trimmed two hundred 308 cases so far. Much better than the Possum Hollow. GSRswapandslow's post is spot on. PH is retired. The WTF is expensive, but so far lives up to its title. I have no regrets.

I really like the thing. I have picked one up in .223 and one in 308, and will likely buy one in for my WSM reloading needs and one for my 7.62x39 bolt gun.

Already paid for themselves.

I certainly hope there's more to this trimmer than hype. It looks like it might be money well spent from the reviews so far. Hmm.