• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Little Gun Done

Bradley

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2007
Carnesville,Georgia
Rem 700 blueprinted action
.308 win
modified 700P stock
APA recoil lug
16.5" Broughton 10" twist barrel threaded 5/8x24
factory trigger set at 3 lbs

Gun4.jpg

Gun2.jpg

Gun1.jpg

Now waiting on this. http://www.libertycans.net/freedom.html

I've put lower rings on it since I took these pics.

Have a good one!

Re: Little Gun Done

titties? yeah, it looks like TWO titties with THREE nipples! a 16" barrel just doesnt look right on a bolt gun to me. if the forearm on the stock was shorter, my opinion might be different.

chuck

that is absolutely right! it will look GOOD and well balanced with the can on it. never crossed my mind.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">titties? yeah, it looks like TWO titties with THREE nipples! a 16" barrel just doesnt look right on a bolt gun to me. if the forearm on the stock was shorter, my opinion might be different.

chuck </div></div>

yea I feel the same way. The gun looks good as far as work and quality but it just hurts my eyes to look at it.

YEEEEHHAHAHHAAAEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that nasty little girl.

Range report!

I really like those shortys. It's a great idea for a 600-800yd supressed rifle. I want one!

So is it safe to assume it was once a 26" 1:12 .308 700P?

Im thinking of doing the chop on my barrel, just not sure on the length and if it will affect how she shoots.

Range report please
smile.gif

Sweet stick BVEAL!! How much does that beauty weigh? Thinkin' of getting one built for the wife, somewhat like that in .260 Rem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is it safe to assume it was once a 26" 1:12 .308 700P?
</div></div>

He says the barrel is a 1:10 twist Broughton, so nope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet stick BVEAL!! How much does that beauty weigh? Thinkin' of getting one built for the wife, somewhat like that in .260 Rem. </div></div>

11-12 lbs according to the bathroom scale.
grin.gif

That's with the scope, bipod, and sling. I'll post a range report as soon as I can. I did shoot two five round groups with some factory Federal 150gr soft points that I dug up. Both groups were less that .75" @ 110 yards. I believe it's gonna be a shooter with the right ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet stick BVEAL!! How much does that beauty weigh? Thinkin' of getting one built for the wife, somewhat like that in .260 Rem. </div></div>

11-12 lbs according to the bathroom scale.
grin.gif

That's with the scope, bipod, and sling. I'll post a range report as soon as I can. I did shoot two five round groups with some factory Federal 150gr soft points that I dug up. Both groups were less that .75" @ 110 yards. I believe it's gonna be a shooter with the right ammo. </div></div>

Thanks BVEAL.
The wife can tote that weight easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats pretty sweet looking!!! What are you gonna be using it for?

Mike</div></div>

Probally shooting stuff.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats pretty sweet looking!!! What are you gonna be using it for?

Mike</div></div>

Probally shooting stuff..... </div></div>

I told Jered (APA) that I wanted to build a white trash version of his "Recon Rifle". He and I had been on a few night time varmint hunts and I really liked how his recon rifle handled. A short barrel is so much easier to navigate through the woods, especially in the dark. Being able to switch from sub sonic to super sonic ammo with a pull of a bolt and a twist of the knob was also a plus in the bolt gun.

I called it a "white trash version" because I built it mostly out of parts I had around the house.
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broughton 7.1 contour. </div></div>
Thanks again BVEAL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broughton 7.1 contour. </div></div>
Thanks again BVEAL! </div></div>

Glad I could help. Good luck on your build!

Looks great, interested to see how well she handles out past 100.

OK we shot this thing with 175 SMK yesterdays and wow! it made some good groups. With out the can it does have a little recoil and I was standing slightly left and behind it when it when off. I didnt do that again and holy crap was it loud. When Veal gets a recipe for it its going to be a real hammer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is absolutely right! it will look GOOD and well balanced with the can on it. never crossed my mind.

chuck </div></div>

Here you go.
gun004.jpg

gun002.jpg

Looks balanced to me. Looks great. Have any groups yet with the 175 SMK's and the can out beyond 100 yards?

Huh. A snub-nosed .3o8... Pretty nifty. Looks good with the suppressor, too.

Awesome stick! Where do you shoot in your neck of the woods. My sister lives just a few miles from you in Lavonia. I would'nt mind bringing my stick next time I am down there and shoot with ya

There are a couple recent threads in this section (bolt gun) regarding short barrels and MV. I have a DTA SRS Covert with both 16" 8-twist and a 22" 11-twist barrels. The drop in MV going from the 22" to the 16" pipe ranges from around 75 fps to 100 fps, with several different factory loads. That averages out to between 10-15 fps per inch of barrel length lost, which seems to be the general consensus. So going from an 18.5" to a 16" barrel is not likely to result in a huge drop in MV, probably no more than 15-25 fps overall. YMMV.

BTW: That is a bad ass looking rifle B VEAL! There seems to be some anti-shorty sentiment around, but I personally think they look evil.

Thanks fellas!

This thing has turned into one of my favorite rifles.
gun015-1.jpg

gun002-1.jpg

lovain1932, shoot me a pm the next time you're down this way and we'll get together. Plenty of places to shoot here.