• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Little guy gets his first AR shots in !

woodspider

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2005
My 8 year old son wanted to move up from his Crickett .22 to the AR 15 this evening so I figured why not let him get in his first shots with the AR 15 ... Pretty comical listening to his reaction to the recoil , but I gotta say he did not do too bad for his first time and he even got a first round hit . Target was at 200 yards 12x18 mini IPSC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlppH8oo8BM&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUbEMSGRHxw5Ba-ZEetxjLpw

That was this weekend and the video below is my now 10 year old a couple years ago at the age of 8 getting his first shots in on the AR 15 and he did really well and in fact was soon hitting targets at range as seen in the 3rd video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFxTm1An-A

After a little practice.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hsUqmIbFGQ

10 year old Stephen @ 535 yards practicing with .308 on some JC Steel targets....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcpTJaIXbp4&index=1&list=UUbEMSGRHxw5Ba-ZEetxjLpw

All Ghillied Up !
http://youtu.be/zvSnv6vr8FM

Get the kids out there they are the future !

Last edited:
As the father of a new son, i am pleased for you. As an avid shooter, i suggest you back off the ar as he is developing one helluva flinch.

I wish I had someone to start me off shooting sooner when I was younger! I bought my first rifle (Rock River Entry Tactical AR15) and shot it for the first time by myself when I was 18. I self taught myself everything, so he has a awesome foundation, hope to see him at Rayners in the future!

He is flinching quite a bit, not a habbit I would want him to obtain for the future! But if he is not scared and wants to continue, I say let him go for it. No better way to get over your fears than to face them. The more trigger time he gets the less afraid and stand-offish he will become with rifles.

It's great that you are teaching him , I do the same with my Son's but man Eye Protection is a must bud. He was making some fine shots even flinching like he was. he'll get used to it keep training =).

That's awesome woodspider. Nothing like spending some quality time with the kiddos. Rather be doing stuff like this over sitting in a movie theater stuffing our faces with popcorn and M&Ms! Here are my two. Son 8 and daughter 6. I start them on the .22 bolt gun and offer them the opportunity to start on the AR if they can completely disassemble it, tell me what each part is and it's function, and put it back together in working form. Son graduated to the AR platform and my little princess is almost there. I decided to build a 7" 5.56 for weight and overall size issues, close the gas off completely, and throw my M42K on it as they learn the operating controls, trigger control, safety fundamentals and how the rifle functions as a complete system. It's worked out great and they love to go shoot on "adventures with dad." Shooting subs only with 50 gr TSX so they still have to manually cycle the rig. Recoil is absent and there isn't a pellet gun I've ever heard that's as quiet as this thing is...

Wow cool pics ! Thanks for sharing....
I appreciate all the comments and yes "eye protection" I must get better at that thanks for the reminder.
And We will work on Mikees flinch but it was his first shots and I wasn't gonna critique him on his first shots just wanted it to be a fun experience.

That's awesome, I wish someone did that for me as a kid, unfortunately my family is pretty hardcore anti gun and I didn't really learn about guns till I enlisted.

I'm pretty excited to teach my kids how to shoot when they get a little bit older, even if they don't like it it's a good skill to have just in case

That is great! What an awesome way to spend time with the kids. I don't have kids yet but when my nephew and niece are old enough I'd like to take them shooting.

I was lucky enough to shoot at a young age. First bb gun at age 5. Ruger .22 not long after that. Cherish the time together.

Very cool...congrats.

The best times I remember with my Dad was learning to shoot rats at the city dump when I was 6 years old (1967). It began my lifelong appreciation for the sport of target shooting.

BR

Nice vids. If the recoil is bothering him, it may be due to the gas system and barrel lengths. Is that one of the original RRA Elite Operator's? If it's a CLGS with 16" barrel, it's going to be harsh on the recoil impulse. The MLGS/16" barrel set up on AR15's is much better.

Combined with an MGI Rate Reducing Recoil Buffer or a JP Silent Captured Spring, and you can turn a 16" MLGS carbine into what feels like a 20" gun shooting low powered 55gr, which is very smooth.

My 2yr-old daughter is already asking for particular color/camo jobs on her AR15, which we will build together when she gets mature enough for it.

I love threads like these! My son is 13 and asked for an AR15 for Christmas. He got a bag of parts and I supervised the assembly. He sure seems proud of it.

My two year old Logan is the trigger man and my 5 year old Mason is the spotter. Doing a little dry fire practice. Still a bit young for the real thing though.

5yzyvypy.jpg

These are a few from the last few weekends with my little girl. She loves helping reload too!

Ryan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg