• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

LMT 308...Slick or not slick?

joshua33

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2013
Thinking about picking up a LMT MWSE, however, I can't decide if I want the slick version or the quad rail. For those who have handled both which one did you like better? Or if you had the chance would you have gone with the slick version instead of what you have right now?

I currently own a LMT CQB MRP 16 and absolutely love it. LMT has earned a customer for life...I love how solid LMTs feel. I'm pretty new around here so I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.

I also have both and much prefer the slick. It's a hair lighter and much more ergonomic and easier to manipulate. If a person has the coin; I think it's very well worth it. If a person can only wing the standard MWS, it's still a great platform.

For your quad rail on the monolithic (Should you go standard MWS); I prefer the larue clips for unused picatinny rail surfaces as it it the lowest profile clips/protectors that I have found.

On the nice slick 308 pictured, those are grippy textured soft plastic slot covers that come with the rifle. They are very nice and low profile. They plug the threaded holes where you want to use them as a grip.

I have the LMT CQB MRP too and wish they had the slick version of that when I got mine. Only thing I have mounted on mine is an optic and bipod, so don't need the quad rail.

My friend has the LMT MWS with quad rail and I've handled that rifle and a LM8 at a store. I would have gotten an LM8 but ended up going with JP LRP-07 instead

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I have been very impressed with my LM8. Much better feel and weight compared to the railed MWS. The factory grip plugs give a good bite without adding girth that would otherwise take away from the slender feel.

Slick. The original is unusually heavy for a carbine. I have dealt with both, and there is no question about which one I would get.

There's about 8 ounces difference in the 2 models. I have both. The standard MWS feels much heavier due to its bulk of the quad rail and patented barrel clamping design. The MWS sure isn't light compared to the likes of JP but it's a very different design and a lot more 7075 aluminum as well. Both models are around ECC and repr weight and lighter than my gap10.

I do agree as I said earlier the lm8 is preferred for me. It's amazing how many guys I've seen speak about the weight of the MWS but run a gap 10 with S&B 5-25, heavy rings, etc. I haven't gotten to shoot my gap side by side and same day as my SS 16 inch lm8mws so I can't compare directly (I don't see them as the same role either.) but my Lmtlm8 MWS out shoots my repr and my ECC for sure.

Some of you guys have me watching the 260 barrels as they become more prevalent to see how they do!

thanks for all the responses...looks like slick is the way to go. I'm in the Army so maybe Kiesler's will give me a decent discount like they did when I purchased the LMT CQB MRP for only $1050 which I thought was a great deal. What is a good price for the LM8 or the quad rail version? I think they quoted me $2469 for the regular LMT MWSE.

I went with the railed version . I just like it more . I will say that both are Outstanding rifles and i think its less then 8 or 9 ounces difference . I love the guy above's set up in the brown looks great . I am debating doing mine in Tungsten to match my Ar 15 . here is a picture of my set up by no means is it lite . I of course would take the drum off and bipod if i wanted to cut weight . The Ar 15 i had custom done at Black Dawn Armory. I am thinking of doing up the LMT MWS in that color to match it . Of course drums and Dbal D2 would come off to save weight when not in use. I also am thinking of switching the NF F1 to a Razor 1-6 not sure as it doesn't really cut much weight. I agree with the RMR off set i am going to do one of those soon also.

Thanks guys. Buis is my dilemma right now. Granted, this isn't a rifle I hunt two legged creatures with but still I feel I need something. Part of me wants a offset RMR. The other part just says to do irons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or some KAC Off-Set 45's... your rifle has a clean profile, I wouldn't put anything else on it. That finish looks the shit.

Last edited: