• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT 6.5 Creedmoor Expectations

Doc275

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2018
I have been hearing mixed reviews on the LMT 6.5 Creedmoor and I was wondering if anyone has any experience either way with them? I am new to the long distance shooting world and I have a LMT 6.5 cr MWS on the way with the new MARS-H lower. I am trying to get a feel for what I can expect.

Tagging in. I've got one in 6.5 that I've not got to the range yet, but going friday. I'll be zeroing at 100, then can take it from there in 100 yard increments to 1000. I'll report back. I'm hoping to get 1 MOA out of it with the 24" SS barrel. Trigger on this one feels really nice.

Going to be trying a couple of factory loads, Prime 130 grain and Hornady 140 gr ELD Match.

I am interested to hear your report. The LMT I ordered also has the 24'' SS barrel and DMR buttstock. When I spoke with the sales staff, they were saying guys were getting sub-MOA out of this set up easy. I take that with a grain of salt coming from any sales department, but I am hopeful.

If it doesn't ship with an adjustable gas block and a HEAVY buffer, order them now....

Do you know of any adjustable gas blocks that work for the MWS? From what I understand LMT's design makes it difficult to use a standard adjustable gas block. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

I recently build up an Aero 6.5 Creedmoor with Ballistic Advantage barrel. I was having over gas issues until I installed an SLR adjustable gas block. Also installed Slash's heavy buffer. It was ejecting about 2:00 and sometimes having ejection issues. The SLR solved it immediately. I'm not sure why it would be difficult to use the SLR as long as it has a standard gas block seat. I would assume .750...

Do you know of any adjustable gas blocks that work for the MWS? From what I understand LMT's design makes it difficult to use a standard adjustable gas block. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

I'd ignore that, the LMT is a complete rifle and not a hodge podge of parts. It will run fine without messing with anything. They have a proprietary style gas system and you won't be able to change the block, not that you need to.

The rifle should have no issue shooting 1/2-3/4 moa with a match load it likes and a good shooter, very good likelihood of it shooting better than 1/2 moa. I'd suggest swapping the trigger to a lighter crisper trigger like the geissele national match, SD-E, or SSA-E to get the most out of it. Having a great trigger really makes a big difference in how accurately you can shoot an AR style rifle.

Reactions: Coon Hound
The rifle should have no issue shooting 1/2-3/4 moa with a match load it likes and a good shooter, very good likelihood of it shooting better than 1/2 moa. I'd suggest swapping the trigger to a lighter crisper trigger like the geissele national match, SD-E, or SSA-E to get the most out of it. Having a great trigger really makes a big difference in how accurately you can shoot an AR style rifle.

I sure hope I get that out of mine, I'd be really happy to get 3/4. Trigger is nicer than I thought it would be, but taking an ssa-e with me just in case.

Reactions: Voyager1
I'd ignore that, the LMT is a complete rifle and not a hodge podge of parts. It will run fine without messing with anything. They have a proprietary style gas system and you won't be able to change the block, not that you need to.

Thanks for the info. I hope I can get mine to shoot that well. I knew LMT used their own proprietary gas system and I have not heard of anyone changing the block, just a couple people making some of their own modifications. That's above my pay grade anyway.

I just found out my LMT will be in tomorrow.

I can get 1/2 moa from my 20" SS pretty often with 2 different handloads. Factory match is, for the most part, 1 moa or a bit less. My last outing with one of my home rolled loads shot 3/4" at 300 meters. Kinda rare though... I'd say sub moa is about what you can expect. My group sizes were cut in half after speaking with Slash and installing his recommended buffer and spring. It is definitely overgassed but it has never malfunctioned even when doing load development.

Reactions: Doc275

I made the comment about the adjustable gas block before doing any research on the LMT. Since then, I have read multiple threads and comments about the need and the lack thereof, the ability to adjust the gas, weather for suppressor use or not. I’m sure it’s a fine system but 6.5 Creedmoor is a high pressure round and definitely benefits from the ability to adjust the gas.
One post here on the Hide included someone who actually drilled and tapped the original gas block to do just that.

Dude. Don’t fuck with anything that says LMT on it. It’s built to work. It’s over-engineered. IMHO Karl Lewis took the AR10/15 to the next generation. If you think your shit is over gassed then remedy it. I run my 16” CL .308 with a SF can and while it might be a touch overgassed I’ll take the guaranteed reliability over a 1/4th second faster follow up shot.

Don’t like the recoil? Build a better position. Shoot a lighter caliber. Don’t be a bitch. Might just be me. Idk.

Dude. Don’t fuck with anything that says LMT on it. It’s built to work. It’s over-engineered. IMHO Karl Lewis took the AR10/15 to the next generation. If you think your shit is over gassed then remedy it. I run my 16” CL .308 with a SF can and while it might be a touch overgassed I’ll take the guaranteed reliability over a 1/4th second faster follow up shot.

Don’t like the recoil? Build a better position. Shoot a lighter caliber. Don’t be a bitch. Might just be me. Idk.

I appreciate the candid feedback. I am new to the whole long distance shooting game. I am just trying to get a feel on what to expect out of my LMT. LMT was recommended to me by my good buddy and former SOTIC sniper from my old unit, so I know they are a top quality rifle. He will be helping me get the fundamentals down and improving my shooting. Thanks for the feedback.

I appreciate the candid feedback. I am new to the whole long distance shooting game. I am just trying to get a feel on what to expect out of my LMT. LMT was recommended to me by my good buddy and former SOTIC sniper from my old unit, so I know they are a top quality rifle. He will be helping me get the fundamentals down and improving my shooting. Thanks for the feedback.
You'll be nothing but impressed by the fit, finish, and robustness of anything stamped LMT. It's not too often I hold a gun in my hands and think "Hmmm, I think it'd be pretty tough to break this thing!"

But that's exactly what I think whenever I'm shooting one of my LMT's.

Well good news, bad news type thing. Good news is I did get to the range, and they had basically tripled the amount of steel on the 1000 yard range since I was there last. Bad news is I forgot my rifle rest and my MLOK pic section for the LMT bipod, so I spent the time working my bolt gun in the target rich environment.

Good news is all that steel, I was like a fat kid in a candy shop, ringing stuff from 400 up to 1000. Some was unknown distance, so I practiced with my range finder and milling with the reticle.

Going back next Saturday and I'll focus on the LMT. Oh, and I saw my first suppressor (not mine) get launched down range. Twice. Good times!!

I have been impressed with my LMT. It’s a 24 “ 6.5 Creed, I have 131 rounds through it and have been getting 1/2 to 3/4 5 shot groups at 100 when I do my part. I’ve taken it to 630 yards and it smacks steel like it should and all with the relatively inexpensive Hornady American Gunner 140’s. I do plan to change the trigger to a SDE
DAC45F76-0C56-4470-A102-2E2C9A12C566.jpeg

I have been impressed with my LMT. It’s a 24 “ 6.5 Creed, I have 131 rounds through it and have been getting 1/2 to 3/4 5 shot groups at 100 when I do my part. I’ve taken it to 630 yards and it smacks steel like it should and all with the relatively inexpensive Hornady American Gunner 140’s. I do plan to change the trigger to a SDEView attachment 6946978

Thanks for the report and pic. I just finished getting mine set up and I am going to zero it later today.

I had recently picked up my MWS 6.5 cr from my FFL. I was a bit unhappy with the finish. There were a couple pits in the metal and some pretty good scratches in the finish. I was okay with that because I bought the rifle to use. I went to take the barrel off for a cleaning before I headed out to zero and the barrel was frozen in place. I was pretty pissed spending that on a rifle and having all of these issues, so I call LMT. I spoke with Joe Collins from their sales department and he was great. He told me to send the rifle back and they would take a look at it. I also had my FFL try to remove the barrel and he couldn’t either, so it wasn’t just me. He had Brian, an assembly supervisor, call me and got the return setup. After they looked at it they sent me a new lower and upper, so a whole new rifle and Brian stated he made sure it was good to go. Joe said he inspected before it went out the door as well. I just got it back and the barrel came right out. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but I can’t wait to see how well it will shoot.

I had recently picked up my MWS 6.5 cr from my FFL. I was a bit unhappy with the finish. There were a couple pits in the metal and some pretty good scratches in the finish. I was okay with that because I bought the rifle to use. I went to take the barrel off for a cleaning before I headed out to zero and the barrel was frozen in place. I was pretty pissed spending that on a rifle and having all of these issues, so I call LMT. I spoke with Joe Collins from their sales department and he was great. He told me to send the rifle back and they would take a look at it. I also had my FFL try to remove the barrel and he couldn’t either, so it wasn’t just me. He had Brian, an assembly supervisor, call me and got the return setup. After they looked at it they sent me a new lower and upper, so a whole new rifle and Brian stated he made sure it was good to go. Joe said he inspected before it went out the door as well. I just got it back and the barrel came right out. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but I can’t wait to see how well it will shoot.

That’s beyond bizarre. I wonder what the diagnosis was?

That’s beyond bizarre. I wonder what the diagnosis was?
Not sure on the barrel, but the lower is what had the pits and scratches, so I think they decided to replace it. Nothing but good things to say about LMT so far. I just hope the MWS shoots as well as some have claimed on SH.

I will say there is one guy that I saw attempt to remove the pressed on gas block for an adjustable one. He was successful and liked the adjustability of his set up then properly sold it because of a life issue. I don’t know what he paid but it didn’t look cheaper. I mostly see guys canablize the existing factory barrel extension and work from there if you absolutely have to have an adjustable gas block. I personally would do anything till you shoot yours to decide. I have shot mine to 700 yards a 16cl with no issues. I have shot my friends with a silencer to the same distance with the same success. Just remember gas guns aren’t bolt guns and take some time to execute the fundmentals properly. I will say this definitely change the tigger and I have had the most success with a atlas bipod. Maybe it’s me but I didn’t get the same result with a Harris. I also finally changed to a factory LMT DMR stock these upgrades I feel are nesscary to ring the most accuracy out of the system. My 308 16 chrome-limes barrel stacks shots between 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch as long it’s dirty when it’s clean takes about 20-40 rounds to regain that accuracy. So basically I shoot it and don’t clean the barrel until I get weird fte or ftf issues. If you think about it that’s kinda better knowing that cleaning hurts accuracy it means just shoot it have fun. Please remember my results are from a 1st gen 16 inch cl 308 your results my vary.

A guy at my range has a LMT 20" 6.5 Creed(I think it's 20", maybe 22"). Shoots and functions awesome. Only issue is it is a bit overgassed and will goober up brass, should u wish to reload. I think some padding etc.. on the shell deflector like Velcro would probably solve it. He doesn't reload so doesn't care. I collect his shells like a pauper lol, and plan to reuse them as the dents are not horrible and should fire out on next firing, but still, if it was mine I'd do something to stop the denting.

A guy at my range has a LMT 20" 6.5 Creed(I think it's 20", maybe 22"). Shoots and functions awesome. Only issue is it is a bit overgassed and will goober up brass, should u wish to reload. I think some padding etc.. on the shell deflector like Velcro would probably solve it. He doesn't reload so doesn't care. I collect his shells like a pauper lol, and plan to reuse them as the dents are not horrible and should fire out on next firing, but still, if it was mine I'd do something to stop the denting.

Mine ejects with some authority and dings up the case mouth, but keeping it the way it is. I'll get some padding on the deflector at some point.

How much has the adjustable gas key helped and thanks for the info.

Well, immediate ability to tune based on ammo. It shoots softer because the dwell time is improved moving the bcg at the right time so it doesn’t decrease accuracy.

Less movement while the bullet leaves the barrel will help increase the ability to hit your target.

Also, for good measure I also installed a slash heavy buffer.

Very easy change, to put on or remove, without having to mess about with the lmt gas block.

I finally was able to go out and shoot my 6.5 cr MWS for the first time on Sunday. I was surprised at how it shot for my first outing. I started off with 5 shot groups at prob 1.5 MOA and then an hour in I was 1 MOA to sub-MOA easy and a couple .5 MOA groups (Hornady Match 140 gr). I am pretty new to shooting AR10s and I was really happy with how the MWS performed ( I know I am the limiting factor, not the rifle). I can't wait to take it to a range with some distance and steels.

Reactions: The DFC
Question to this that have the LMT rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.....Does anyone own the 20" version (originally it was sold with a 24" conversion barrel). If you have owned both barrels, what are the positives and negatives of the 20" version versus the 24" other than what one would "assume are the universal physics of the barrels"...? I understand that LMT stopped producing the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel in the 24" variety.

They went to the 20" version probably because that is what the military requested or the public.....I suspect.....What are your experiences using both the 20" and the 24" versions? I'm asking because I have the 24" version and the data for the 24" version and I want to purchase some back up barrels so I'm facing a quandary......

it's an amazingly versatile rifle that is unique in the world of semi auto's....however, now that LMT has switched to the 20" version I'm perplexed because I wanted to use this rifle in PRS competition but every once in a while they throw out some really long range shots (about 1200 yards plus where I live which is difficult enough with a bolt action rifle under a timer lol).....What differences did you find understanding that You cannot change physics....?

BTW, this was the old Prime ammo....whats the story on the new prime ammo?

Attachments

• EFF0BEB4-2F25-4DC2-A45F-39474F753683_1_201_a.jpeg
    EFF0BEB4-2F25-4DC2-A45F-39474F753683_1_201_a.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 69
Question to this that have the LMT rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.....Does anyone own the 20" version (originally it was sold with a 24" conversion barrel). If you have owned both barrels, what are the positives and negatives of the 20" version versus the 24" other than what one would "assume are the universal physics of the barrels"...? I understand that LMT stopped producing the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel in the 24" variety.

They went to the 20" version probably because that is what the military requested or the public.....I suspect.....What are your experiences using both the 20" and the 24" versions? I'm asking because I have the 24" version and the data for the 24" version and I want to purchase some back up barrels so I'm facing a quandary......

it's an amazingly versatile rifle that is unique in the world of semi auto's....however, now that LMT has switched to the 20" version I'm perplexed because I wanted to use this rifle in PRS competition but every once in a while they throw out some really long range shots (about 1200 yards plus where I live which is difficult enough with a bolt action rifle under a timer lol).....What differences did you find understanding that You cannot change physics....?

BTW, this was the old Prime ammo....whats the story on the new prime ammo?

I have the 20, you loose some velocity at 20”. The sweetest Spot is 22” from a velocity balance perspective.

that said nothing wrong with 20”. The rifle with 20 will be fine for PRS. Easier to manage around barricades and props.

you’ll need a good load and good ammo. Then true your velocity and bc at distance.

I have the 20, you loose some velocity at 20”. The sweetest Spot is 22” from a velocity balance perspective.

that said nothing wrong with 20”. The rifle with 20 will be fine for PRS. Easier to manage around barricades and props.

you’ll need a good load and good ammo. Then true your velocity and bc at distance.
Thank you for the insight.... so if given the option would you go with the 24” or 20”? I’m not going to repurchase anymore Prime but I’m not a reloader. Every rifle is different however any recommendations for OTC loads? KA is probably the optimum length for mobility etc?....

thank you

Thank you for the insight.... so if given the option would you go with the 24” or 20”? I’m not going to repurchase anymore Prime but I’m not a reloader. Every rifle is different however any recommendations for OTC loads? KA is probably the optimum length for mobility etc?....

thank you

IMHO 24 vs 20.

I’d try Berger ammo if I were you. If you mean over the counter. Any ammo with Berger billets would be my first choice.

Any match ammo should be good, but buy several cases of the same lot so you get some consistency.

Interesting. I picked up a 22" barrel they had on Black Friday. It's still in the package as I was going to wait till I burn out my 24". 24" shoots Hornady 140 ELD like lasers.

Reactions: Bcera and Voyager1
Excellent. I appreciate all of this insight! I was told that prime 130 was the ticket but my experience hasnt born this out....my experience is that FGMM is way more consistent from a SD perspective...

Interesting. I picked up a 22" barrel they had on Black Friday. It's still in the package as I was going to wait till I burn out my 24". 24" shoots Hornady 140 ELD like lasers.
I’ve never known LMT to sell a 22” barrel. I did check their Black Friday sale and they did have 24” and 20” but no 22”. Was that Black Friday morning?

Reactions: Mike59
Excellent. I appreciate all of this insight! I was told that prime 130 was the ticket but my experience hasnt born this out....my experience is that FGMM is way more consistent from a SD perspective...

I need to try that-every time I have some FGMM in the cart I talk myself out of it and buy more Hornady. They make a 147gr ELD too that again I always talk myself out of buying. FGMM is a few $$ less than Hornady too. My Sharpshooter 308 shoots the FGMM 168/175s as well as my 6.5 shoots the Hornady.

Dude, I can’t speak for hornady but I do have documentation that the FGMM 168 / 175 out my HK MR 762 a1 w/ Geissele trigger suppressed is running a SD of 10 rounds < 10 FFS!!??

Reactions: The DFC
I have a 20 inch 6.5 barrel upper that i am eventually going to build into a second mws. I am really impressed with LMT's 6.5. barrel, compared to my 13.5, and 18 inch SS 308 barrel, I feel that its a little more accurate, but that could be a result of using factory match ammo for the 6.5 and using a stock of older reloads for a different 308 AR. Since I have been working overseas for the past few years, I really haven't been able to reload and have just been shooting an old stock of 178 AMax's with acceptable accuracy for what i am doing. I

My 6.5 Barrel shoots a little softer than my 18 inch SS

Overall, its a shooter

I have a 20 inch 6.5 barrel upper that i am eventually going to build into a second mws. I am really impressed with LMT's 6.5. barrel, compared to my 13.5, and 18 inch SS 308 barrel, I feel that its a little more accurate, but that could be a result of using factory match ammo for the 6.5 and using a stock of older reloads for a different 308 AR. Since I have been working overseas for the past few years, I really haven't been able to reload and have just been shooting an old stock of 178 AMax's with acceptable accuracy for what i am doing. I

My 6.5 Barrel shoots a little softer than my 18 inch SS

Overall, its a shooter

4 magnificent shots and it's always that one pull that kills us! Very nice shooting! the only trouble i have experienced with the Hornady Amax when shooting is that if I suppress it sometimes the AMAx will cause a double feed and jam....no other rounds do it but the Hornady's. I think they may be a bit too long....GREAT STUFF!

4 magnificent shots and it's always that one pull that kills us! Very nice shooting! the only trouble i have experienced with the Hornady Amax when shooting is that if I suppress it sometimes the AMAx will cause a double feed and jam....no other rounds do it but the Hornady's. I think they may be a bit too long....GREAT STUFF!

Thanks.

Seems to be how it goes for gas guns go, Lol. I can see that, with the increase bolt velocity from the suppressor there are a few additional variables that are thrown into the equation.

When i was trying to get my 13.5 SS to run with my Gemtech fullsize GMT-300wm can, I was have a ton of over gassing issues, ended up ordering a Sandman K for my Scar, and gave it a try on the MWS when it came in and it was good to go.

For certain application, a nice large full size can makes sense but for others, I love low back pressure, quieter at the ear, louder at the muzzle options.

Thanks.

Seems to be how it goes for gas guns go, Lol. I can see that, with the increase bolt velocity from the suppressor there are a few additional variables that are thrown into the equation.

When i was trying to get my 13.5 SS to run with my Gemtech fullsize GMT-300wm can, I was have a ton of over gassing issues, ended up ordering a Sandman K for my Scar, and gave it a try on the MWS when it came in and it was good to go.

For certain application, a nice large full size can makes sense but for others, I love low back pressure, quieter at the ear, louder at the muzzle options.

That’s sick! My MWS 16” SS 5r cut when using a rugged surge full size and a geissele SSA-e I’ve had the rifle go full auto on me a couple of times (5) rounds! It scared the crap out of me because I’m concentrating on fundamentals breathing not too much weight and suddenly...BRRRRRRAAAPPPP! I’m 7.62x51 it will wake u up if your not expecting it!

Attachments

• 64FB7DF4-2C63-4742-B109-EE53D2E18FD5.jpeg
    64FB7DF4-2C63-4742-B109-EE53D2E18FD5.jpeg
    489.1 KB · Views: 152
B

Thanks.

btw, how can you lessen that possibility? Great stuff!

If I were a bettin man he has a timney in that lower that hasn’t been properly tensioned. Am I right!?

If not man you need to call lmt.