• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT Lower: Two stage vs standard trigger

BillCh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I've got a HCS RECCE upper that is currently sitting on my 6920 lower. I works fine and all but I need that lower back where it belongs.

I'm about ready to pop for a new dedicated lower for the RECCE and was thinking about an LMT SOPMOD. It's nice that they offer so many options. I'd probably go with the non-ambi selector, plain-jane version just to keep things simple. The question is, how are the triggers?

I've got a SSA-E and I like it. How does the LMT two stage compare with the Geissele? Would I be better off getting the single stage and then swapping that out for another SSA-E?

Looking for insight. Are there any other problems I might run into with this lower? I'm assuming it'll be pug-n-play.

B

The LMT lowers (and parts, and uppers, and rifles in general) are all top notch. In terms of "problems" with the lower going right on your existing upper or other issues...you'll not have any that I can foresee. They are quality, in-spec receivers.

That said...even their 2-stage triggers are NOT comparable to something like the SSA-E you used as an example, nor were they really designed to be such. There is more slop in the LMT trigger, as well as a heavier weight of pull in both stages, as compared to the Geissele. Not knocking the LMT...but a Geissele or anything even in that ballpark it is NOT! Frankly, I wouldn't pay the ~$75-80 premium they want for their 2-stage trigger in a complete lower setup as it is not worth the money. Save that cost and if its an SSA-E you want, using the savings to pick one up as you won't be happy with the LMT if that's the trigger you'll be comparing it to/wanting at the end of the day.

Like the previous poster said, LMT makes high quality parts and their trigger is better than most factory ones; it still doesn't compare to a geissele. I just upgraded my LMT 2 stage to a geissele match and am happy with the results.

Third person to post is the same comment get something!?! Buy the lower with the single stage trigger and swap it out for an SSA-E. I've had both - no comparison.

Like the LMT but LOVE the geissele SD series. The SD-E is great for a more precision oriented while I prefer the SD-3G for light pull plus fast rate of fire.

I've got a HCS RECCE upper that is currently sitting on my 6920 lower. I works fine and all but I need that lower back where it belongs.

I'm about ready to pop for a new dedicated lower for the RECCE and was thinking about an LMT SOPMOD. It's nice that they offer so many options. I'd probably go with the non-ambi selector, plain-jane version just to keep things simple. The question is, how are the triggers?

I've got a SSA-E and I like it. How does the LMT two stage compare with the Geissele? Would I be better off getting the single stage and then swapping that out for another SSA-E?

Looking for insight. Are there any other problems I might run into with this lower? I'm assuming it'll be pug-n-play.

B

I run the LMT lower on my HCS MK 12 mod 1 upper. It fits perfect. I didn't ever use the supplied trigger though. I use the SSA-E

For me I shot my mws with the lmt 2stage trigger and then orders an Geissele SSA-E for it. Never really like the lmt trigger. The best runner up was a KAC 2stage trigger.

I have a HCS recce on a LMT lower with the Geissele SSA-E. It looks like you have plenty of advice for the Geissele.

I have an LMT two stage that comes real close to a Geissele SSA-E. As others have said, LMT is a excellent two stage but, it is not a Geissele.

I replaced the two stage in my MWS with a Geissele.

I replaced the single stage in my CQB with the MWS two stage.

The single stage was horrible but everything I shoot is pretty much two stage so I may be conditioned to like that better. I think the MWS two stage is pretty decent in the CQB. Id like to get the same as its big brother but I find better things to spend the money on when the present trigger is good enough.

The single stage sits in the spare parts box never having dropped a hammer on a live round. Hated it, buy it with the full expectation it is the cheapest alternative for immediate replacement.

Thanks for the input everybody.
I went ahead and ordered an LMT lower. It should be here in about a week.

As far as the trigger goes, I'll get another SSA-E for it and swap out the single stage. The Geissele has served me well and I like the feel. Might as well go with what ya know.

I only wanted one AR. Now I have two. WTF!? After this I'll be done buying AR parts. Really... I promise.

B

Last edited:
I only wanted one AR. Now I have two. WTF!? After this I'll be done buying AR parts. Really... I promise.

B

I have said that same line so many times now...I wish I could remember when it was just one...then two...then...well...you get the idea! ;) I have since mended my ways and just started saying "Don't make promises...to yourself or others...that you can't keep!" Makes life much simpler!!

Good luck with the LMT/Geissele. They'll both serve you well!

Timney skeleton sure installed easy! original trigger was 7.5 lbs and just under 3 Lb works for me !

Update:
It's taken a little while to post but I got the LMT lower with the single stage trigger. Overall it's very nice. I've got to hand it to those guys. They build a pretty tight unit. There is no buyers remorse here. I know I could have gone cheaper but I'm very happy with this for the money, and my 6920 lower is back where it belongs.

As nice as the LMT is I'm glad I didn't opt for the 2 stage. I don't want to come off like I'm bashing LMT for their single stage trigger but it was... stiff, and it had a little creep to it. I have no doubt that it would function just fine in the long run. It's just that I'm not used to a trigger like that, just a personal preference.

I installed the SSA-E and all is right with the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Temney et al. make good triggers too. My experience with aftermarket triggers is very limited. I only know the one. I'm a 'go with what ya know' kind of guy. I'd like to be able to buy one of everything to see what I like best but my wife just doesn't have that kind of money.

Thanks again for the help everybody.

B

The trigger I took out was breaking at 7.5 lbs but was not all creepy but come on guys, a 2200.00 rifle with a 7.5 Lb trigger ? Rifle runs nice now the Timney is in it !!