• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MRP barrel conversion

Charger442

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2010
    South Texas
    Im going to have a barrel conversion done for a new barrel on my LMT MRP ar15. i have a barrel in mind but wanted to get some opinions.

If you could choose a barrel to have converted, which brand would it be and why? i'm sticking with a 16" because i dont want a p&W muzzle device.

Why waste your $$ on a 16" barrel which LMT offers? LMT's barrels are extremely high quality. The conversions really only make sense when you want something out of the ordinary that they don't offer.

Reactions: Jsp556
    Not in disagreement with redneckbmxer24, but the $699 MSRP for a 16in 5R SS can steer a guy away from the MRP system. It did me.
    I saw accuracy but not precision out of my MRP barrels. Reliability was never a question.
    I sold/traded my MRP upper now I've got a nice conventional 16" upper that should carry the LMT reliability, and I've built another in a caliber not supported by LMT using LMT upper parts except for the barrel assembly.

Depends on what you want out of your rifle. I like to keep my ar15s light and maneuverable, so I'd go with a ballistic advantage Hanson in the lightweight profile. I'm assuming you already have a factory chrome lined MRP barrel. The lightweight BA Hanson should shave about 10 oz compared to the factory LMT barrel. If you don't want light weight and are looking for more accuracy/precision, I'd pick up a white oak armament or a bison armory. The WOAs go on sale from time to time for around $200. And the bison armory is always 200. The bison and WOA are well regard for accuracy for the price. And the BA is very reasonably priced for the features it has and I never see people complain about accuracy, so it should be sufficient for what it is. I'm actually going to pick up a lightweight Hanson barrel for my MRP and have it converted, I just can't decide if I want the 14.5 or 16.

Reactions: Tono
    Depends on what you want out of your rifle. I like to keep my ar15s light and maneuverable, so I'd go with a ballistic advantage Hanson in the lightweight profile. I'm assuming you already have a factory chrome lined MRP barrel. The lightweight BA Hanson should shave about 10 oz compared to the factory LMT barrel. If you don't want light weight and are looking for more accuracy/precision, I'd pick up a white oak armament or a bison armory. The WOAs go on sale from time to time for around $200. And the bison armory is always 200. The bison and WOA are well regard for accuracy for the price. And the BA is very reasonably priced for the features it has and I never see people complain about accuracy, so it should be sufficient for what it is. I'm actually going to pick up a lightweight Hanson barrel for my MRP and have it converted, I just can't decide if I want the 14.5 or 16.

those are decent barrels for what they are. but i dont really think a button rifled barrel(except criteon maybe) is going to hold a candle to a cut rifled ss barrel. i think they are in different classes all together. imho