• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 16 inch CL Load development

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I have been loading IMR 4064 at 41.1 under a 168 Nosler CC/SMK for my MWS.

This load was chosen based off my opinion of which from a variety of rounds produced the best group/common point of impact a few years ago.

This year I tweaked my reload process slightly.

I added a 21st Century mandrel which I think really helps tension issues caused by my Dillon Rapid Trim. More importantly I added the use of a Magnetospeed to get some real data.

This is a baseline shoot I made using 168 FGMM and my 41.1 reloads....

P7018001.JPG

Results on paper....

P7018002.JPG

P7018003.JPG

Yesterday I shot a few loads in +/- .2 grain increments using 41.1 as my starting point. Results on paper....

P9088219.JPG

Im thinking 41.1 actually looks pretty good as the next targets .2 lower and .2 higher show a similar point of impact (disregard the pulled right on 42.3).

Two things concern me...

A. My eyes saying 42.7 is the tightest group maybe I should investigate that more even if it is all vertical and not flat.

B. Based on the Magneto readings I think I might find happiness up around 2550. My current 2448 readings seem a bit slow.

Any thoughts.

The rifle....

P9088218.JPG

Brother cant get any love in here......?

Fine Ill talk to myself. I like me.

Made it to the range to test around the 41.1 load of IMR 4064 under a 168 Nosler CC with WLRP in Black Hills 1X brass...

Target Board....

P9238245.JPG

Notes.......

P9238246.JPG

Im thinking my loads are pretty anemic.

Im going to try 41.7 at 300 and Ill extrapolate what will get me near abouts 2490-2510 FPS and give that a try.....

I just did my first OCW test using Ar comp and varget shooting the 168 eld’s Out of my 16” semi and it appears my nodes are going to be around 2537 mv with both powders. Oh and the brass is 2x fired LC. Ar comp was 40.8 gn’s and the varget was 43.5 gn’s. You should be able to get 2500+ with those 168 smks.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Just picked up the magnetospeed a month or so ago so this session of load development actually has some data to work with.

My old rounds were okay accurate but I see that I can juice them some and maybe get them on target with less atmospheric interference or shooter dropping hold due to extended barrel time.