• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 20 " chrome barrel

Des_Draws

Private
Minuteman
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. New to precision rifle shooting. Looking for a sanity check. I have a LMT MWSE (16in barrel). I haven't been overly impressed with my accuracy with it.
Seems I can't get below about 2MOA with any consistency. I have read here and heard from others that longer bullets are better for the shorter barrel version of the MWS. For instance 168 HPBT.
I have tried quite a few loads the best was 43 g of imr -4064 under 150 g hornady SST, which gave me just under 1 MOA but only once. Every other load I tried was worse. For reference I can hold 0.8 MOA with an
stock NEF handi rifle chambered in 45-70 if I use premium ammo (hornady 325 gr FTX gummy bears)
I just got a 20 in barrel figuring I'd experiment with and see if I can get better groups. The barrel came with a piece of paper showing about 6 bullet holes in about a 3 inch group. WTF does this mean?
Is this the accuracy of the barrel I just spent $650 for ? Is this about right or did I get a sub standard barrel and LMT is checking to see how stupid I am (which is probably pretty stupid compared to some)

And yes I realize the MWS is not God's gift to accuracy, but a fixed/bench rested rifle spits out 3 inch groups is pretty sad unless it at 200-300 yards. Admittedly I'm a classic newbie, and know that I don't know squat.
Which is why I joined the forum. Learn baby learn

Re torque your barrel. Make sure no oil or gease on the bolt. Get a better tq wrench. I experienced the same issue as yours when I first switch the 20". Btw, try amax bullet for your load. Me and other member here experienced the LMT loves the amax. Try load your bipod a bit more to see if it help.

Last edited:
168/175 grain bullets are what makes the LMT shine. Run a box of federal gold medal match through it and see what you get. Mine really isn't great with regular 150 grain ball ammo. What kind of scope are you using?
Also there's a tacked thread with tons of information up top, spend some time reading through other members search for accuracy with the LMT.

Key word... Chrome. Translation- Service rifle barrel. 2-3 MOA is normal for a chrome lined barrel.

Here's the Sanity Check: If you want precision, get the match grade barrel. LMT sells a pretty decent match grade .308 barrel. Learn all about it here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-semi-auto-rifles/46635-lmt-308-mws.html (This is a sticky at the top of the semi-auto forum.)

If you want to get as precise as you can, you'll probably need a load developed strictly for your gun. This includes seating depth, powders and charges, etc. It's tedious at first, but once you figure out what your rifle likes, then you'll probably be pretty surprised.

A couple points that were already brought up need to be repeated:
[MENTION=85404]Dave62677[/MENTION]: [Re torque your barrel. Make sure no oil or gease on the bolt. Get a better tq wrench.]
[MENTION=101340]GH41[/MENTION]: Service rifle barrel. 2-3 MOA is normal for a chrome lined barrel.

My 20" cl lmt with 168 amax has shot sub moa all day long on the 30round shootout threads!

Last edited:
Ask someone else shoot the LMT to see if they can shoot better. Which part of CA you at?

I recently bought one and had a couple of good groups right out of the gate, then it started shooting 2''-2.5''. I started checking everything and it turned out my scope was just slightly loose in the SPUHR mount. Went back to the range and it shot everything 1.5" or better with the best results out of my buddies hand loads. 2.810 OAL, 168 SMK, 44.2 gr of Varget, CCI BR2, Federal brass.

Thanks for the feedback. BTW clarification. The 20in CL barrel was received yesterday. I haven't mounted or shot it yet. The barrel came with a test fire results (see attached)
20in_CL_barrel.jpg

Did anyone get one of these from LMT ? What is the distance for the shots ? Hopefully its 100yard or more

Last edited:
I recently bought one and had a couple of good groups right out of the gate, then it started shooting 2''-2.5''. I started checking everything and it turned out my scope was just slightly loose in the SPUHR mount. Went back to the range and it shot everything 1.5" or better with the best results out of my buddies hand loads. 2.810 OAL, 168 SMK, 44.2 gr of Varget, CCI BR2, Federal brass.

Thanks Cramey Good to know. I have some Varget and some 168 HP/BT I will try it out this weekend

my CL 20" LMT has shot sub-moa all day long numerous times with my reloads... the LMT CL are very close to the SS barrels in terms of accuracy IMO.

Key word... Chrome. Translation- Service rifle barrel. 2-3 MOA is normal for a chrome lined barrel.

my CL 20" LMT has shot sub-moa all day long numerous times with my reloads... the LMT CL are very close to the SS barrels in terms of accuracy IMO.

Show me ten consecutive five shot groups under MOA from a CL barrel and I'll kiss your ass! You are dreaming!

Show me ten consecutive five shot groups under MOA from a CL barrel and I'll kiss your ass! You are dreaming!

I personally have had many guns, both semi and bolt action, with CL barrels that would shoot sub-moa consistently.

Better let FN know that their guarantee on the SPR A3G is no good.

100yards. All with different grn weights of varget, 11out of 12 5shot groups sub moa shot in a row with my lmt 20" CL LMT. kiss now or later?

IMG_6139_zps2d3959b8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehtacs
Still waiting!!!!....... Maybe VJJPunisher and myself could be on this game show as either "A" or "B" ass to kiss.... this way you only have a 50% chance of kissing my ass?? keep me informed.

Kiss My Ass: The Game Show - YouTube

Last edited:
OP,

I've never heard of a LMT barrel coming with a test target. Both my 20" 6.5 creedmoor barrels did not.

Awesome shooting Elfster, how has the 16" CL barrel done for you?

sorry i'm not Elfster. For the 16CL, i was able to get 1-1.5 with factory match load. Non-Match i was able to get 1.5-2moa. When i was breakin in my GAP10, i was able to do .5-.7moa with blackhill 168gr

its a 20" CL LMT barrel. I'd save on average its .9 to 1moa... I've done in the .7' on average with the shootout threads. I'm happy with it.

OP,

I've never heard of a LMT barrel coming with a test target. Both my 20" 6.5 creedmoor barrels did not.

Awesome shooting Elfster, how has the 16" CL barrel done for you?

Also, a lot has to do with my reloads than my rifle. I would be in the 1 to 1.5moa range with good factory ammo.

IMO @ 100yards its 40% rifle, 40% shooter, and 20% ammo. The more the yardage increases the more the shooter % increases in terms of skill, mirrage, and wind.

Still waiting!!!!....... Maybe VJJPunisher and myself could be on this game show as either "A" or "B" ass to kiss.... this way you only have a 50% chance of kissing my ass?? keep me informed.

Kiss My Ass: The Game Show - YouTube

I'll have to see it done before a credible witness before any ass kissing happens. For all we know you shot the groups at 50 with a 10/22.

I think its rather obvious that its .308 holes and im not going to waste testing 40 dollars of reloads at different grn weights at 50 yards to see what works best with my LMT. Really!? I dont make shit up.

I'll have to see it done before a credible witness before any ass kissing happens. For all we know you shot the groups at 50 with a 10/22.