• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 308 Extractor problem.

Evan

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2013
Hello everyone, I got my new LMT 308 a few days ago and I thought I would clean it before shooting for the First time. I took it apart everything went fine till I got to the bolt extractor, I couldn't take the pin out easily I had to push so hard, finally I took it cleaned it and want to put it back but no matter how hard I pressed down to close it so I can put the pin in, It would let the pin go all the way it goes half way and get stuck, finally the little plastic piece I think call " Buffer " that holds the spring broke. Now my question for you guys that I manged to take the spring out of that buffer and put it the spring alone underneath the extactor and with a little push everything closed and the pin went inside just fine, is it safe to shoot it that way ? I just don't understand why such a good quality rifle has an important piece that can break so easily. bolt.jpg

My LMT extractor retaining pin was really tight when new, it normal. I actually had to use a punch to get the pin in and out. After a while though, it will loosen up and have an easier time getting it in and out of the bolt. Just put the spring back in, you'll be fine.

Thanks, I will try it with the spring alone.

This.

I had the same deal with my LMT...... LMT builds their rifles with really tight fit from the bolt to the upper / lower. After a period of time it will become really easy to remove / install. Cover the pin & hole in the bolt with loads of oil and it helps. There is nothing wrong with it and its normal and is actually a good thing that LMT can build their rifles with such tight tolerances.

My LMT extractor retaining pin was really tight when new, it normal. I actually had to use a punch to get the pin in and out. After a while though, it will loosen up and have an easier time getting it in and out of the bolt. Just put the spring back in, you'll be fine.

We used to install extra power extractor spring and an o-ring on the AR15 extractors to improve extraction. That buffer you took out is there to improve brass extraction. On a new rifle it can be hard to assemble but there s a reason they were built that way.

You could shoot the rifle without the buffer and let it loosen up. What you will notice is possible FTE.

Thanks, when I called LMT. they told me to wait till they send another buffer and spring. I'm waiting for it to arrive. I know it's there for a reason that's why I asked in the first place. I will report back when I get the parts.

I always shoot a gun a few hundred before taking apart to let things wear in. I do make sure its oiled before going.