• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 308 Muzzle Brake

ncbmx64

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2011
Got a little money saved up and want to put it towards my LMT. Was looking at either a SSA-E trigger or a muzzle brake. Leaning towards the brake so my girlfriend will go shooting with me more often (she is scared she won't be able to handle the 308 recoil). I am thinking about getting the Surefire SOCOM brake as I have heard they are pretty effective at reducing recoil but I would like to see what others you guys would recommend. I am not planning on running a supresor anytime in the near future so a QD feature is not important. Mainly looking to reduce some of the felt recoil and not hurt my accuracy.

What about the Battle Comp, they're supposed to be pretty good as they say it pushes straight back, haven't used on, just saw one the other day

SSA-E if you want to shoot better.
A muzzle break like the Battlecomp is nice (I have it on a couple builds) but it ain't going to help the GF shooting a 308.

I had a Battle Comp on mine and switched it off for the SF break to use an SF can now and again. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in recoil reduction between the two but the BC is more comfortable for others to be around.

I had a Battle Comp on mine and switched it off for the SF break to use an SF can now and again. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in recoil reduction between the two but the BC is more comfortable for others to be around.

I've put several thousand rounds through both the battlecomp and the surefire on the mws.
The surefire is much more effective in reducing recoil. Of course it's also louder.

I'm really liking the Badger Micro FTE that I've had on my MWS. It does a great job of cutting recoil and not adding much weight or length to the rifle. The price isn't bad either ;)

I have a Battle Comp now i am switching to a PWS hider/brake because i use PVS14's if you decide to go with the Battle Comp for it let me know i'll make you a good deal on it. I really like the LMT MWS i hope you enjoy it as much as i do mine

Got a little money saved up and want to put it towards my LMT. Was looking at either a SSA-E trigger or a muzzle brake. Leaning towards the brake so my girlfriend will go shooting with me more often (she is scared she won't be able to handle the 308 recoil). I am thinking about getting the Surefire SOCOM brake as I have heard they are pretty effective at reducing recoil but I would like to see what others you guys would recommend. I am not planning on running a supresor anytime in the near future so a QD feature is not important. Mainly looking to reduce some of the felt recoil and not hurt my accuracy.

I bought a Surefire SOCOM brake for my SIG 716 from Brownells and it turned into a nightmare. The first shipment had the SOCOM brake but had the 556 rather than the 308 spacer and shims. Called Brownells and the tech went thru their supply and many had the same problem. They shipped me out another package of that was supposed to have the correct shims and spacers 2nd day FedEX. Shims were 308 but did not have a spacer. Called again tech went thru their supply and none had the spacer. He told me to call Surefire which I did they sent me out a new shim packet with a colorless shim in a separate small packet not a spacer. Called them again they apologized for the error and finally shipped the spacer, With all necessary components on hand and 2 packets of shims I now had to use their wheel of misfortune that tells you what shims to use based on where the brake lines up when screwed on to the spacer. It just did not index properly using their booklet timing wheel.
I posted on a the subguns.com site asking if any one else had the same problem and many did. I was advised by Werner who was aware of the problem to use both packets of shims and try by trial and error to get the brake timed. Which I did since I had 2 packets of shims. I finally got the brake indexed but it took over and hour and countless tries to get it correctly timed.
I had used the predecessor of the SOCOM brake on my LMT MWS and got it timed with out to much of a problem but even on the LMT the recommended shims needed for indexing the brake was not correct but was pretty close so with just a few combinations I got it timed in about 15 minutes.
I don't know if the fault was the tolerances of the shims being being out of spec, which was suggested, or something in the machining of the 5/8X24 thread being off but since a number of other responses with different AR's had the same problem I'm thinking Surefire is the problem. Hopefully by now they have the problem corrected. Maybe they can even ship the correct shim and spacer components.

Tried all the "timed" brakes and got sick of it. Finally bought a clamp on and love it. No need for crush washers, shims and magic pixie dust. No voodoo involved during install. Just screw on and tighten Allen screws (2).

He has 308 but I cannot find them now....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HK-STYLE-MU...439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c367ec707

HK Style Muzzle Brake for 5 56mm 223 1 2x28 Threads | eBay

$(KGrHqZHJCIFHVz0Ns,RBR3gEdVBUQ~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
The shims are often not the size that their color indicates. I screw on the break, subtract how many thousandths I need to get to just short of zero, measure the shims with a set of calipers, screw on, torque, and your done. If you have the right parts to start with it takes less than 5 minutes.

Not having the right shims is a whole different story, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience.

The shims are often not the size that their color indicates. I screw on the break, subtract how many thousandths I need to get to just short of zero, measure the shims with a set of calipers, screw on, torque, and your done. If you have the right parts to start with it takes less than 5 minutes.

Not having the right shims is a whole different story, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience.

How right you are. The shim measurements bore very little resemblance to the thickness stated in their installation manual in either of the 2 packets of shims I had received. Even from packet to the other packet the same shim colors were not always the same. I had been warned about this by Werner from subguns which is why I was told I would probably need more than 1 packet of shims to get the brake timed. How right he was.

Anyone have a picture of the Surefire brake installed? I have one installed on my DPMS Recon, and now I'm paranoid that I have the wrong shims. Not knowing how the 5.56 shims differ from the 7.62 shims (assuming the size of the hole in the center).

If they fit over your threaded barrel without excess play your fine.

Just to add to ^^^^ the correct shims for the 556 would be the same size as the outside diameter of you barrel. The 7.62 shims would be much larger and the over sized hole would be obvious to you. I an sure you are OK if you haven't noticed the shims had oversized holes when you in stalled them. They should have just fit over the barrel.

Here is my LMT LM8 with a Griffin flash comp. I didnt have great position behind the rifle and I was not preloading as well as I could have either. I was really not filming this to post but to mess with the go pros 120fps video settings.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvidmg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv314%2Fsaryan25%2FLMTRecoilVid3.mp4">

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/saryan25/media/LMTRecoilVid3.mp4.html

I have the SOCOM SF brake on mine and it ROCKS! No need to go with something like a Battlecomp that costs $50 more if all you're looking for is muzzle control. I run SF brakes or FH's on most of my stuff. Also, not sure about yours but my stock trigger is pretty nice, at least for now.

LMT308.jpg