• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 7.62/6.5C re-zeroing with barrel changes

freedom71

Lawprof
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Raleigh NC
So, I considering buying an LMT MWS 6.5 Creedmoor with a 7.62 16" alternate barrel. I want to have an AR-10 that will shoot at longer ranges both more commonly-available and cheaper ammo (7.62) as well as ammo having better ballistics (6.5 C).

For those of you with an LMT MWS who change barrels between the shorter 7.62 and longer 6.5C, I have a couple of questions:

1. What is required to change the barrels? I assume you must remove the hand guard. Do you have to remove everything attached to the hand guard as well? How long does it take?

2. More importantly, what shift in POA/POI do you have after multiple barrel changes? I understand that there will be a shift with different calibers, but what I'm asking is whether you can note the caliber change and adjust your scope accordingly, and whether that difference stays the same with multiple barrel changes. So, let's suppose you have zeroed both the 6.5 and 7.62 barrels and note the differences you must dial going from one to the other. When you go from the 6.5 to the 7.62 and then back to the 6.5, is there a sufficient shift in POA/POI that you must again zero the 6.5? In short, how much re-zeroing is needed with barrel changes?

Many thanks for your help!!

Last edited:
There is no hand guard to remove the upper is one machined piece. To remove the barrel you just loosen the rear clamp screw and remove the front one and the barrel slides out. With mlock hand guards you usually have to remove the mlock attachments because the retainer tabs get in the way of the barrel shank/extension coming out.
With consistent technique on barrel installs it should be under moa on zero repeatability and I want to say I’ve seen a few moa shift between zeros with different barrels

with the 1913 railed upper, its just take two screws out and pull the barrel
With the Mloc, you have to pull the accessories and repeat above.

Reinstall with LMT Tq Wrench,

No real POI change, when reinstalling the same barrel. You may be over thinking this a bit, If the last time you shot was 80 degrees out and you are now shooting in 15 degree weather, your zero is going to change.

I dont think that I have ever seen more than maybe MOA when swapping barrels and I currently have 4 barrels, 13.5 SS, 16CL, 18 SS, 20SS 6.5.

Reactions: longshot2000