• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS Adopted by New Zealand

Re: LMT MWS Adopted by New Zealand

yep and we have the shit ass scar what a crock of shit.

lol...I stopped trying to figure out the Scar quite some time ago. The H will inevitably follow the L imho.

Congrats to New Zealand!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol...I stopped trying to figure out the Scar quite some time ago. The H will inevitably follow the L imho.

Congrats to New Zealand! </div></div>

I thought Monty explained it to you rather well over on M4C

Explaining his position rather well and having the actual experience to form his opinion rather well is what was explained on M4C.

My personal opinion on the Scar hasn't changed however.

Nice choice. I can't tell what's so great about a SCAR either. Or that other polymer whatchamacallit that looks a lot like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like they went 20" with a 4.5-14 Leupold.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/...marksman-rifle/
</div></div>

Badass! They selected the same scope I'm putting on my LMT 16" CL- The Leupold 4.5-14x50mm MKIV ERT FFP with M3 knobs.

I agree- the Scar?? Is that a barrel or one of those flimsy rods used for opening cheap blinds from Walmart? Doesn't inspire confidence. I'm excited about the LMT gun.

Remove two screws and the barrel becomes a tactical club, it pretty much says so in the manual.
grin.gif

Wow, lots of SCAR hate here. I usually only here praise for the SCAR. Mainly for the heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jh1990</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, lots of SCAR hate here. I usually only here praise for the SCAR. Mainly for the heavy. </div></div>

The Scar's a perfectly good platform- very reliable. I just have been down the thin barrel road with the M14 the Army issued, and didn't like watching groups open with barrel heat so rapidly.

LMT's barrel is ~.2" thicker forward of the gas block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jh1990</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, lots of SCAR hate here. I usually only here praise for the SCAR. Mainly for the heavy. </div></div>

The Scar's a perfectly good platform- very reliable. I just have been down the thin barrel road with the M14 the Army issued, and didn't like watching groups open with barrel heat so rapidly.

LMT's barrel is ~.2" thicker forward of the gas block. </div></div>

Different advantages for both rifles. If I had to do any sort of running and gunning or closer in work the SCAR absolutely dominates the LMT due to weight and balance. For precision work or jobs that don't require as much mobility, the LMT offers superb value and excellent reliability.

Sorry to raise this thread from the depths of time, but I have a few questions about the specs:
1. I know they went with the 20" version instead of the 16" like the Brits, but is the barrel a SS or CL barrel?
2. The scope appears to be a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-15 x 50mm M3, but which reticle did they go with? Illuminated?
3. What brand of 45* off-set BUIS are they using?
4. What muzzle device? Surefire? Brake vs flash hider?

Last edited:
I would bet CL because he mentioned its really jsut a DMR fo +/- 800 and the CL seem to do great to 1k. Prob a mil dot or tmr.

From NZ army website:

Designated Marksman Weapon (DMW) 7.62mm Rifle
The 7.62mm DMW provides enhanced target detection, recognition, identification and acquisition at section and patrol level. With a trained operator, the DMW will provide the capacity for lethal, precise and discriminate fire, neutralising enemy combatants and suppressing them at long ranges. The DMW is a magazine fed, gas operated, air cooled weapon with a rotating bolt locking action. It is capable of semi–automatic and automatic fire. The primary sight is a 4.5 -15x Leopold Mark 4 telescopic sight. For close quarter battle a set of Dueck Defense rapid transition sights are issued.

So the BUIS set is Surefire, not Dueck Defense? The muzzle device is a Surefire brake, not a flash hider? Thanks.