• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS BCG and 6.5 creed?

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
I just wanted to hear from those in the know. Are there any issues running 6.5 through a LMT MWS with the factory BCG? Such as pierced primers or anything. Its an investment to get a custom barrel and to just go to a off the shelf 6.5 BCG seems to defeat the point IMHO.

I’m running the factory BCG unsuppressed (can still in jail 😞) with a 20” OEM 6.5CM barrel. All factory ammunition has run 100% with zero FTE, FTF, or pierced primers. I have not tried to reload for it but plan to. I will say it does trash the brass a bit but that’s fairly common in the gas gun game.

Reactions: Snapper314
If you shoot ammo with small primers you’ll have pressure signs and pierced primers. Otherwise, with large primer ammo you’ll have no issues.

If you shoot ammo with small primers you’ll have pressure signs and pierced primers. Otherwise, with large primer ammo you’ll have no issues.
Is that a problem you can solve with a 6.5 specific BCG, such as maybe a JP or RCA?

Is that a problem you can solve with a 6.5 specific BCG, such as maybe a JP or RCA?
The JP has a small diameter firin pin hold so that would solve it. But, the JP bcg is a DPMS pattern and the LMT is an armalite pattern rifle. I don’t know if they are interchangeable and I could not get an answer from LMT or JP as to whether they are compatible.

The JP has a small diameter firin pin hold so that would solve it. But, the JP bcg is a DPMS pattern and the LMT is an armalite pattern rifle. I don’t know if they are interchangeable and I could not get an answer from LMT or JP as to whether they are compatible.
I have "heard," they are compatible...for what thats worth. I have also heard that the normal DPMS lower will mate to the armalite upper just with out a perfect fit the back of the upper. Maybe I'll just got for it.

PS: just heard back from LMT, No ETA but the 15" MWS Mlok uppers are coming back.

As far as I know armalite, LMT and maybe a few others always used the “small” firing pin. It was dpms and others that used the larger one that had issues with pierced primers and flow.

Armalite and Lmt bolts do not interchange as far as headspace goes but I have run and armalite bolt in an Lmt carrier without issue.

Anecdotally,

I've not had any issues with my 20 inch, 6,5 barrel with a longer, higher pressure, Gemtech can. The same can when paired with my 13.5 or 16 inch 308 barrels, had issues.

The JP and LMT are not interchangeable, the LMT Bolt is over .10 Larger at the gas rings so the JP is too loose in the LMT carrier.

I tried swapping Bolts in my old MWS when I discovered this, the best improvement I made to my MWS was a AGB and a H2 SCS.

You can also make your own AGB from the original LMT gas Block if you're cheap like me.
IMG_20150417_182711127.jpg

Reactions: Jo.
I don't know why people act like JP carriers and bolts are superior to KAC/LMT BCG's. My 20" 6.5 MWS has not had any issues with factory hornady 140eldm ammo. If you want to squeeze every ounce of pressure of a caliber you can possibly get, a gas gun is not the right tool for the job.

I don't know why people act like JP carriers and bolts are superior to KAC/LMT BCG's. My 20" 6.5 MWS has not had any issues with factory hornady 140eldm ammo. If you want to squeeze every ounce of pressure of a caliber you can possibly get, a gas gun is not the right tool for the job.
It's more about using the Small Primer 6.5CM brass generally you can get a few more reloads out of them before the ass falls out.

to run a 6.5 is this the conclusive answer then ?
"LMT and maybe a few others always used the “small” firing pin"
you can run the .308 bolt...and will work with 6.5cm?

As far as I know armalite, LMT and maybe a few others always used the “small” firing pin. It was dpms and others that used the larger one that had issues with pierced primers and flow.

Armalite and Lmt bolts do not interchange as far as headspace goes but I have run and armalite bolt in an Lmt carrier without issue.
I believe it was sinister that swapped LMT BCG in his Armalite and it headspaced correctly.

I believe it was sinister that swapped LMT BCG in his Armalite and it headspaced correctly.
I know I’ve measured one of mine, possibly all of them, but I remember the armalite bolt face being .004” deeper. Enough that on a tighter chambered armalite pattern barrel that Lmt did not work.

You should have no problem running 6.5 with factory BCG. Who makes a better BCG than LMT? Maybe KAC just maybe. I run a Sig can and BRT tube to keep things properly gassed.

PB

Pretty sure that he was using a Criterion DPMS pattern barrel as well..

I’ve used Gen1 LMT BCG’s with dpms pattern barrels with no issues.

Pretty sure that he was using a Criterion DPMS pattern barrel as well..

I’ve used Gen1 LMT BCG’s with dpms pattern barrels with no issues.
True but I was responding to the guy that didn't think an LMT bolt would work with an Armalite carrier. I was pointing out sinister did it with success, that's all.

Reactions: Jsp556