• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS gas port spec question regarding rifle length gas system

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
OK,

Hoping to save myself a call to LMT regarding my new MWS. I know that the 16" barrels have a shorter mid or carbine length gas system than the 18" and 20" factory barrels which both have the same rifle length gas system.

I also know that the LMT MWS' tend to be on the overgassed side. I have found one account of someone cutting an 18" barrel to 16", and the rifle still functions (linked here for referance: LMT MWS 16" Rifle-length gas system - M4Carbine.net Forums)

The MWS I just bought has a 20" barrel. My question specifically is this: do the 20" stainless MWS barrels have the same gas port size as the 18" stainless MWS barrels? If so, I should be able to cut my 20" barrel to 16", and have myself a nice, short, soft shooting carbine.

Anyone happen to know?

Thanks,

-Bob

I think the early models with the KAC bcg were over-gassed. LMT went to a LMT bcg with a larger exhaust hole to vent gas quicker and now they are not over-gassed. Mine throws the brass right at 4:00. I have an 18" SS

OK,

Hoping to save myself a call to LMT regarding my new MWS. I know that the 16" barrels have a shorter mid or carbine length gas system than the 18" and 20" factory barrels which both have the same rifle length gas system.

I also know that the LMT MWS' tend to be on the overgassed side. I have found one account of someone cutting an 18" barrel to 16", and the rifle still functions (linked here for referance: LMT MWS 16" Rifle-length gas system - M4Carbine.net Forums)

The MWS I just bought has a 20" barrel. My question specifically is this: do the 20" stainless MWS barrels have the same gas port size as the 18" stainless MWS barrels? If so, I should be able to cut my 20" barrel to 16", and have myself a nice, short, soft shooting carbine.

Anyone happen to know?

Thanks,

-Bob