• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS LM8

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Thinking about picking up the LMT MWS LM8. Any downsides to this? Minus the slight mod needed for mlock rail sections.
Probably be a just a all round rifle, thinking about a 2.5-10 with a reddot on top

The LM8 uppers have been on a fire-sale recently from LMT‘s website. I took this to mean they were phasing it out compared to their M-LOK and Quad offerings.

The LM8 uppers have been on a fire-sale recently from LMT‘s website. I took this to mean they were phasing it out compared to their M-LOK and Quad offerings.
Yeah i think that is the case. Seeing as how i have minimum accessories i figure it would meet my needs.
Hoping to find a used deal as well.any experience with them

Yeah i think that is the case. Seeing as how i have minimum accessories i figure it would meet my needs.
Hoping to find a used deal as well.any experience with them

Beyond the non-standard mounting requirement, they are just as good as the MLok version.

Just looks different. does the same thing as the Mloc and Quad

LMT's are great guns if you know what you are getting into. They are Mil guns that are incredibly reliable and run a little harder than you average 308 AR. They are also a little heavier than your average 308 AR but unless you are patrolling with it at the ready or humping through the mountains hunting some retarded goat or something, that extra half a pound to a pound is not really going to make or break anything.

Something to keep in mind if you decide to grab an MWS and run it suppressed is that you really need to think about what can you are going to mount on the rifle. If you grab a modern silencer that was designed to have minimal back pressure, you should not have any issues running or at most, a change to a heavier buffer should be all that's needed.

Ive had a good number of 308 gas guns and currently have an SR25 as well as a Scar, and honestly, I think that i enjoy shooting the LMT the most as its the most flexible of the 3 and can be set as the shooter wants. I like being able to run a 13.5, 308 and less than 2 minutes later, swap out the barrel and be off to the races. As a stand alone, 308, The SR25 is lighter and shoots smoother but will never be a 6.5 without dropping thousands on a spare upper. The scar is light and utilitarian.

This silencer combo works great
LMW.jpg

LMT's are great guns if you know what you are getting into. They are Mil guns that are incredibly reliable and run a little harder than you average 308 AR. They are also a little heavier than your average 308 AR but unless you are patrolling with it at the ready or humping through the mountains hunting some retarded goat or something, that extra half a pound to a pound is not really going to make or break anything.

Something to keep in mind if you decide to grab an MWS and run it suppressed is that you really need to think about what can you are going to mount on the rifle. If you grab a modern silencer that was designed to have minimal back pressure, you should not have any issues running or at most, a change to a heavier buffer should be all that's needed.

Ive had a good number of 308 gas guns and currently have an SR25 as well as a Scar, and honestly, I think that i enjoy shooting the LMT the most as its the most flexible of the 3 and can be set as the shooter wants. I like being able to run a 13.5, 308 and less than 2 minutes later, swap out the barrel and be off to the races. As a stand alone, 308, The SR25 is lighter and shoots smoother but will never be a 6.5 without dropping thousands on a spare upper. The scar is light and utilitarian.

This silencer combo works great View attachment 7934383
Sweet looking rifle.
I have had an lmt mrp for about 16 years now. No issues, a bit heavier than a similar 556 but its a great rifle. One regret was not getting the 308 version then.
I found a 308 upper, debating buying it versus a bunch of other crap i want. But i doubt i will regret getting it.

This silencer combo works great View attachment 7934383
Is that the 13.5 inch barrel? And what mags are those?

I have an LM8 with .308 and 6.5 creed barrels. Awesome rifle and exceptionally accurate. The stainless steel barrels are a bit more accurate than their chrome lined ones but either will outshoot most users. The LM8 uppers are probably a little heavier than the mlok ones but thats really the only difference. Mounting a silencer can be problematic. From what I've been able to gather, the brits use surefire cans on their L129s and don't have to make any modifications to get them to run. I've run a couple form 1 cans I built on mine and they both have very high backpressure. To get the rifle to run properly, I had to get a buffer from heavybuffers.com and swap it out. Since then I've had no issues cycling with or without the can. Another option you could use is to get a gas tube from black river tactical. They make ones specifically for LMT barrels since the gas tubes are straight due to the barrel switch system. This might be a better option to cut back on gas to the face.

I have not used BRT tubes in the LMT but I have for other rifles with excellent results.

I have an LM8 with .308 and 6.5 creed barrels. Awesome rifle and exceptionally accurate. The stainless steel barrels are a bit more accurate than their chrome lined ones but either will outshoot most users. The LM8 uppers are probably a little heavier than the mlok ones but thats really the only difference. Mounting a silencer can be problematic. From what I've been able to gather, the brits use surefire cans on their L129s and don't have to make any modifications to get them to run. I've run a couple form 1 cans I built on mine and they both have very high backpressure. To get the rifle to run properly, I had to get a buffer from heavybuffers.com and swap it out. Since then I've had no issues cycling with or without the can. Another option you could use is to get a gas tube from black river tactical. They make ones specifically for LMT barrels since the gas tubes are straight due to the barrel switch system. This might be a better option to cut back on gas to the face.

I have not used BRT tubes in the LMT but I have for other rifles with excellent results.
Thanks for the great technical information. I have not pulled the teigger on the LM8 yet, but i am getting very close.

I have a quad and an LM8 in MWS. I had an MLOK but sold it after I was able to get an LM8 for $500. It is an incredible value for the engineering you get at that price - even at the $7-800 they seem to be going for now. And it is very ergonomic.

For my needs, the pic rail has enough diversity of accessories (like those that Arisaka and others are putting out) that the lack of a current attachment method on the sides and bottom do not matter to me. That said, I have had luck using Centurion proprietary accessories on it with success.

In my case, I use my quad for a long range .308 setup, and have my LM8 set up with a 13.5 pinned to a Surefire Warcomp for a more compact setup with a suppressor.

Bottom line is it is an excellent product at an excellent value.

I love mine and I don't think they are that heavy. I haven't decided on what scope to put on it. I am still shooting it with iron sights. It is a superb platform that you will enjoy.

20220823_203531.jpg

She is here!
And so far i love it. Putting the lower together now. Probabaly shoot it iron sighted for a while until i get a scop for it.
I am considering getting a 6.5 cm or 7mm08 barrel for it.
Still kicking myself for not having picked this up during the 4th of July sale.

What length screws are you using to get the barrel to come out and do you know how they compare to the LMT recommended length for thread engagement? To be honest this seems like a better way to mount than MLOK, I hate how everything needs to come off for the barrel to come out.

What length screws are you using to get the barrel to come out and do you know how they compare to the LMT recommended length for thread engagement? To be honest this seems like a better way to mount than MLOK, I hate how everything needs to come off for the barrel to come out.
Agreed. I have not tried it myself yet. But will post once i do.
I have trimmed screws for other things in the past, usually requires some clean up.
I guess for the torque levels needed for accessories, steel on aluminum is not a huge concern.