• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT Piston Barrel Accuracy?

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    Back in the early 2000's I bought an LMT rifle with a 16" piston barrel that had accuracy issues (2 -3 moa at 100 yards doesn't cut it for me). I know LMT has made great strides over the past two decades but am curious if anyone has any of their new piston uppers and what kind of accuracy you're getting with match grade 5.56 ammo? I would like to be able to ring steel out to 600 yards with this setup and I like piston uppers because I almost always shoot suppressed and pistons are a lot cleaner than DI; however, if by going piston means I'll sacrifice accuracy then I'll just deal with the carbon build up and stick with DI.

I think general quality issues are the gremlin at LMT right now regardless of the barrel type more so than any systemic deficiency in accuracy. Folks I know have been happy with accuracy, but reaming your own chamber isn’t unheard of.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    Back in the early 2000's I bought an LMT rifle with a 16" piston barrel that had accuracy issues (2 -3 moa at 100 yards doesn't cut it for me). I know LMT has made great strides over the past two decades but am curious if anyone has any of their new piston uppers and what kind of accuracy you're getting with match grade 5.56 ammo? I would like to be able to ring steel out to 600 yards with this setup and I like piston uppers because I almost always shoot suppressed and pistons are a lot cleaner than DI; however, if by going piston means I'll sacrifice accuracy then I'll just deal with the carbon build up and stick with DI.
    Great question as I was looking at the piston LMT myself. Just bought a MK116 and am liking the piston system, so was looking to add another. Might just go with the SCAR 16. Curious to see what others have to say.

My MARS-H has been awesome, but its DI

I had one when they first came out. It shot like any other AR. It had some real nasty carrier tilt that gouged the crap out of the enhanced buffer tube, which had the extended feed lips.

The only piston AR that I would get is the Sig MCX.

I had a similar problem with Federal GM 168gr. Tried the Federal GM 175 and it was better. I don't know if that's a common result but it might be worth a try.

John McQuay (perhaps 8541 Tactical?) Had a couple of threads where he went down the rabbit hole after LMT MWS accuracy.

Last edited:
    I have a 2 week old MARS-L piston and it shoots sub MOA with 62gr green tips with only a couple hundred round down range. So far so good. I hope so, as I just ordered a MARS-H piston and it was not cheap. Fingers crossed.

On that topic, anyone aware of an aftermarket 6.5 creed piston barrel for the MARS-H?

What brand ammo? I’ve never seen any legit 855 shoot anywhere close to MOA consistently, but I’ve heard certain brands (MEN, etc) are much better. Lake City, Winchester, IWI, etc all suck. 2-3 MOA.
    If memory serves I think it was PMC X-TAC

Reactions: TheHorta
    What brand ammo? I’ve never seen any legit 855 shoot anywhere close to MOA consistently, but I’ve heard certain brands (MEN, etc) are much better. Lake City, Winchester, IWI, etc all suck. 2-3 MOA.
    My bulk PMC 55g is 2-3 MOA for sure

Reactions: TheHorta
    Problem with 62gr M855 and SS109 is the steel penetrator under the jacket and concentricity. It’s hard to get mass-produced military ammo like that to be made precisely. Sectioned samples of M855, M855A1, and M995 AP:

greenm85541215-002-zpscvot6dyb.jpg

rack grade barrel and crappy ammo and upset it's not MOA lol

all mine have been more than acceptable