• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lwh723

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2007
NE Iowa
If you guys bought a scope described as LNIB, but found out it had ring marks like this, what would you do?

Also, to make the matter a little stickier, you didn't notice the ring marks until a month after receiving--likely because the seller had oiled them because "that makes them go away."

As I'm sure you know, it's hard to take pics of ring marks. These look like they're only at the top of the scope in the pic, but go all the way around.

CIMG0502.JPG

Re: LNIB?

Omg those terrible ring marks.I tell you what since they are so depressing to you i will give 100$ for it.lol if the scope works fine dont worry about them.They arent anything but cosnetic and doesnt hurt a thing.

If it says "Like New" then I'd assumed it's been mounted. Those marks aren't what I'd consider bad rings marks, those are marks from being mounted in rings, that's all. I've seen some that were bad, you could feel, etc.

Personally, I'd mount the scope and use it, chances are you'll cover whatever is bothering you and if not then the first time in the field you'll put real marks on it and forget those are even there.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but unless they are way worse than the pics show I think you're worrying way to much about it and need to go mount it up and shoot.

Personally, I could care less about them other than the fact it was described as LNIB.

The issue is I found an illuminated version, so I'm selling this. I already had a deal made selling it as LNIB, but the buyer backed out when I found the ring marks.

Honestly, I wouldn't care. I would have shown them in the ad if I was selling the scope myself. IMO if you have had the scope for a month you've lost your right to ask for a refund.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa_Hntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I could care less about them other than the fact it was described as LNIB.

The issue is I found an illuminated version, so I'm selling this. I already had a deal made selling it as LNIB, but the buyer backed out when I found the ring marks. </div></div>

As far as selling them now, just re-post them showing the ring marks. A shooter will come along and not care about the light ring marks.

Yeah, I know. Not finding them for a month, kind blows my gripe. That being said, they didn't appear until I was wiping the scoped down, so I know what I will do first thing when I buy my next LNIB scope.

Anyway, for those of you who still think a scope is LNIB in box even with ring marks, I've got a deal for you...

Like new is exactly that... NOT new.. You might find signs of use. About your buyer backing out.. Well, that depends exactly how you advertised.. If you know the scope has been mounted, you should mention that it has been.
I myself,when I make purchases like this, inspect things thoroughly upon arrival and the fact it has been oiled to hide the marks is really no excuse for missing them. Sorry but that's my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa_Hntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I know. Not finding them for a month, kind blows my gripe. That being said, they didn't appear until I was wiping the scoped down, so I know what I will do first thing when I buy my next LNIB scope.

Anyway, for those of you who still think a scope is LNIB in box even with ring marks, I've got a deal for you... </div></div>

Lesson learned, ehh ?

I know, I edited to add that he didn't show that part of the scope.

Honestly, how much closer can you get?? slight marks in equipment like that are hard to pick up with a camera but I clearly see that there is a mark in that picture so...LNIB would be a perfect description to me on that and Jose did his best to capture such blemish. Not everyone has a 1000$ camera with super macro and is a professional photographer. Everyone is going to have there take on how,what,when, where but that's mine. If I purchased that scope ,I would expect to see a mark or two on the tube and if the mark was worse than the pictures showed... That's the way it goes. I have tried to take pictures of such type marks and it's hard to get the full effect. Now on the other hand, if the scope had a "scratch" in the tube, I would've handled that different. I'm up to .04

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know, I edited to add that he didn't show that part of the scope. </div></div>

Thanks

I wouldnt worry about the ring marks either, but mis- representation is mis-representation. If a scope has ring marks, it is NOT like new in box. It is like new in box, except for the ring marks. I hate when people lie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like new is exactly that... NOT new.. You might find signs of use. About your buyer backing out.. Well, that depends exactly how you advertised.. If you know the scope has been mounted, you should mention that it has been.
I myself,when I make purchases like this, inspect things thoroughly upon arrival and the fact it has been oiled to hide the marks is really no excuse for missing them. Sorry but that's my .02 </div></div>

To me, Like new means the scope appears "Like New", but is not. Once something gets scrathes, etc, it should no longer be advertised Like new.

I sold the scope as LNIB the ring marks were not there as shown,why was i not told this the moment that you opened the box?becuase the ring marks were not there, thats why.If you would of said you werent satisfied the same day you recieved it then i would of refunded your money.Ive sold alot of scopes here and no complaints you are the first to complain.personally i dont know what your trying to pull by posting this thread after a month? I cant do anything for you now.
WHAT DOES THE LAST POST ON MY FOR SALE THREAD SAY?????
GOT THE SCOPE LOOKS GREAT!!!!by Iowa hunter.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...186#Post1145186

heres another picture,its not directly on the area you say is scratched but you should see some damage there.
mk4mildot4.jpg

Absolutely Hydro...

When it comes to guns, the standard across the board is; LNIB means the same condition as when it left the factory, with accompanying box, literature and accessories. Previously sold at retail, but new in every other respect.

Why would it mean anything different with a scope?

You pay for LNIB you should get LNIB...

That's the sellers obligation...

But, the buyer has an obligation too, and that's to immediately and thoroughly make sure you received what you paid for...

Then go out put your own scratches and dings in it
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold the scope as LNIB the ring marks were not there as shown,why was i not told this the moment that you opened the box?becuase the ring marks were not there, thats why.If you would of said you werent satisfied the same day you recieved it then i would of refunded your money.Ive sold alot of scopes here and no complaints you are the first to complain.personaly i dont know waht your trying to pull by posting this thread after a month?
GOT THE SCOPE LOOKS GREAT!!!!so WTF???
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...186#Post1145186 </div></div>

Are you saying those marks weren't there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa_Hntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...becuase the ring marks were not there, thats why... </div></div>

Are you saying those marks weren't there? </div></div>

Looks like plain English to me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa_Hntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...becuase the ring marks were not there, thats why... </div></div>

Are you saying those marks weren't there? </div></div>

Looks like plain English to me...

</div></div>

Well then...let me apologize in advance mods as I didn't want it to go to this. I think that's pretty clear from my previous posts, saying I was just going to take it as a lesson learned.

Anyway, with that being said, I have to say that 81sfo is a liar (unless he missed the marks too). All the scope has done since I purchased it was sit in its box.

I don't expect to get much support here--only having 30 posts. But whatever...

DUDE...

Take this high school shit to PM... this should be between you two... not the rest of us.... dig?

81sfo is no liar.. he's no thief, and I doubt highly that he would violate his integrity just to sell a scope...

The fact is that after a month it really doesn't matter. Even if you found a big scratch down the tube, you have far exceeded any accepted standard for inspection. Sell as excellent condition with light ring marks and move on. No good will come out of you guys getting into an argument now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa_Hntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the scope today. Looks great. Quick shipping. THANKS! </div></div>

I normally do not get involved in these other than I got burned on a rifle about 2 months ago off gunbroker. I new I should not have taken paypal since the seller gets screwed by them. I have a $450 Sony with microfocus and Zeiss lense. I sent the buyer 15 pictures from every angle of the rifle close up. Rifle was a Ruger No. 1 cheap model wood stock. He accepts rifle at his FFL. Two days latter he is demanding a refund and states that I lied to him about the stock. He wants to send the rifle back to my FFL even though I shipped it myself. Now I would be out over $75 for shipping and receiving a rifle already registered to me. Lesson is "Wankers like to take advantage of the term "Like new in Box" and then try to get one over on you either for personal gain or because of buyer remorse. The SCOPE WAS USED!!!!!!! IF YOU DO NOT WANT ANY MARKS BUY A NEW SCOPE. I would understand if it had serious marks, but do not try to seek retribution a month after the fact. Almost everybody I have dealt with on the forum is a stand up individual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa_Hntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As I'm sure you know, it's hard to take pics of ring marks. </div></div>

Not to get back into this, but I've found just the opposite, the flash of the camera typically makes stuff appear that either isn't there or is much lighter with the naked eye.

There are people still willing to pay $1,000 for a Leupold.

If the scope works, move along, semantics is semantics. Buy new if you don't want something that might have a scratch.

I can see a small rub about center on the left side tube in the last pic from the ad but as mentioned it's up to the buyer to fully inspect the product when it arrives.

On a different note, things like this is why Frank almost dumped the for sale section. Buyers and sellers should take this stuff to PMs.

LNIB means like new, not almost like new. Not that I would care about the ring
marks but they should have been mentioned. "Excellent condition" would have
been a better description of the scope. Maybe the seller wiped it down with an oil
or silicon cloth upon pulling it and he thought they disappeared too. My older
sister always says "don't sweat the small shit".

Iowa_Hntr, I have to ask this, just to clarify. Have you ever taken the scope out of the box, set it on rings, mounted it in rings on a rifle or anything in that realm?

Taking the picture in the box would make others assume that you removed the lid of the box and took the pics and the scope has never left the box once in your hands. Except maybe to look at a little closer and then put right back in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iowa_Hntr, I have to ask this, just to clarify. Have you ever taken the scope out of the box, set it on rings, mounted it in rings on a rifle or anything in that realm?

Taking the picture in the box would make others assume that you removed the lid of the box and took the pics and the scope has never left the box once in your hands. Except maybe to look at a little closer and then put right back in. </div></div>

It could get dirty doing that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold the scope as LNIB the ring marks were not there as shown,why was i not told this the moment that you opened the box?becuase the ring marks were not there, thats why.If you would of said you werent satisfied the same day you recieved it then i would of refunded your money.Ive sold alot of scopes here and no complaints you are the first to complain.personaly i dont know waht your trying to pull by posting this thread after a month?
GOT THE SCOPE LOOKS GREAT!!!!so WTF???
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...186#Post1145186 </div></div>

Story has taken a twist. I have done business with and am currently doing business with 81. He is GTG. I am thinking there is more to the story. Knowing how most shooters are not bothered by ring marks, 81 had no reason to lie to you. You should apologize and edit your title. Besmirching an upstanding member is uncool.

I stand by every comment I made pertaining to like new meaning something appears as new, but you didnt fully disclose the facts it seems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa_Hntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you guys bought a scope described as LNIB, but found out it had ring marks like this, what would you do?
</div></div>

1. I'd call the seller on the phone and work it out.
2. If I couldn't get him on the phone, I'd send a PM and email.
3. If 1 and 2 failed, I might send a letter.
4. If 1, 2, and 3 failed, I'd chalk it up to experience and move on.

I definitely wouldn't post in the forums about something as petty as faint ring marks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa_Hntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you guys bought a scope described as LNIB, but found out it had ring marks like this, what would you do?
</div></div>

1. I'd be a whiny little bitch about some ring marks & post it all over the Hide so everyone could see what a a used hooker's douche I really am. </div></div>

There fixed it for ya Brain...lmao

1) Are you going to shoot the rifle or look at it? Very minor ring marks are going to be on a lot of scopes that see any level of decent use.

2) Take it to PM.

The rifle was mine prior to shipping. If I ship a rifle to a manufacture or a gunsmith. They can ship directly back to me. I am not going to pay my FFL $25 to receive a rifle I just shipped out.