• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

load data for 308 winchester berger vld 185 gr

Nathaniel4545

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2012
Aurora,co
I have been searching for some reloading data on the berger 185 vld to shoot out of my 308 win. I am currently running a remmington 700 sps tactical 16.5 barrell. I tried the Hornady A-max and they seemd to fly okay with the gun but i also would like to try out some of the bergers that i got. unfortunately powder is not on my side. I am using winchester 748 powder. has anyone tested any loads with this? any help is appreciated!

to add I have successfully used the 748 powder up to 44.5 grains with the 208 A-max. I am unsure about chronograph and the casings seem to be okay still. I was curious if my starting point of 42 grains of powder would be okay to start with the vld's? I am using cci 200's and seating the bullet .015 off the lands. I was not happy with the results of the bench shooting with any of the loads but that is a bench only using a bypod and my fist under my butstock to stabilize.

well I did some research on the Hodgden site and cross compared across a variety of 180 to 190 grain bullets and I feel safe at 42 grains of winchester 748 powder.

I have been searching for some reloading data on the berger 185 vld to shoot out of my 308 win. I am currently running a remmington 700 sps tactical 16.5 barrell. I tried the Hornady A-max and they seemd to fly okay with the gun but i also would like to try out some of the bergers that i got. unfortunately powder is not on my side. I am using winchester 748 powder. has anyone tested any loads with this? any help is appreciated!

One good thing about berger is they are not stingy with their load data. Give them a call and they will email you a PDF of the page in their boook with the load data. Just let them know what powder you are running.

I broke down and bought Berger's load manual. When I ordered it, I wasn't too thrilled about it. I figured it was going to be "just another load book" but I think it's the best book I've got. The loads aren't anything really special, but a lot of the theory and methods in the front half of the book are great. I think I learned more about developing true custom handloads from the Berger manual than any other single source. It's well worth buying, IMO.

So I tried the loads at 42 grains and my rifle seems to really like them. I can't wait to put a chassis on but for now this will do what I want

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413213341.904235.jpg

Targets were shot at 100 years from a bench position using front Harris bipod and rear sand bag. The loads are 185 Berger vid with 42 grains of win748 powder and co 200 primers.

I run this bullet in my .308 with awesome results. This was just from a few weeks back with a four shot group.

43g Varget
CCI 250 primers
Hornady Brass
Seated to 2.270 to ogive
.030 off lands

*** Edit LOL... guess this is 3 years old.

74199424a9a738e2647cfb4719226ba4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk