• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load data for lever action rifles in the pistol calibers, like 44mag, 357mag, 45LC?

TexasHaag

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2022
Killeen Texas
looking for load data for lever action rifles in the pistol calibers, like 44mag, 357mag, 45LC?
is there a source?
thanks
texashaag

What kind of load data? Cowboy action type loads, gas checked cast bullet loads that are maxed out, jacked bullet loads, or everything in between? Might help to list powders and bullets you have on hand too.

^^^ THIS

Paco has never steared me wrong lol. I got into Cowboy Action and found many guys who have experimented over the years. If you're looking for HOT hunting loads, read that literature a few times and just be safe.

I have Starline .357 brass dedicated to my Marlin 1894. It sits in a separate location than my other 357 and 38 ammo.

If you're just wanting regular load data, just use revolver data. There are a few powders that work especially well in the longer barrels for 357, those being H110 and 300-MP, with 300MP being the fastest by far for me.

Which rifles and handguns? What are you trying to do? It can make a BIG difference. I do agree that Paco‘s work is good.

For Cowboy Action (lighter) loads I amusing Clays and Unique and still go to 2400 for true Magnum loads while staying inside book recommendations.

Also look at the Lyman reloading manual (especially older versions) they are pretty solid for these cartridges and cover different platforms.

Reactions: TexasHaag
Texas Haag,

Those pesky reloading manuals are the place to find information.

Check out the Sierra and Hornady manuals. Both have rifle loads for the calibers you have listed.

In the Hornady manual you can find hotter loads for some calibers in the Ruger/TC section.

Rossi rifles can be purchased in 454 Casull if you need more power.

I'll second this, my Marlin 1894 seems to like Lil Gun at about 17 gns...

I always forget about Lil Gun. If I shot .357 more i'd go through powder quicker and try Lil Gun. I end up shooting 38 subsonics majority of the time.

Reactions: Scrumbag
hodgdonreloading.com has recipes for super strong (Ruger, T/C) guns. Some look decently spicy.

They only have it for 45 Colt unfortunately.

I think lyman does big boy loads for pistol levers
Are those all still loaded at SAAMI spec of 35k psi? I can't remember if that section was specific to lever loading, or if it was just velocity testing out of a longer barrel with the same loads for revolver. The whole discussion Paco and others had was that the lever guns could safely be pushed beyond revolvers, but commercially no one has taken that venture on, I'm sure for obvious liability reasons.

Wish I could get lil’gun 😔

Damn I was about to ask what state you're in but saw U.K.... my condolences lol. It's become quite abundant around me lately. A few places with 4 and 8lb'ers somewhat regularly.

Are those all still loaded at SAAMI spec of 35k psi? I can't remember if that section was specific to lever loading, or if it was just velocity testing out of a longer barrel with the same loads for revolver. The whole discussion Paco and others had was that the lever guns could safely be pushed beyond revolvers, but commercially no one has taken that venture on, I'm sure for obvious liability reasons.
It’s interesting isn’t it, 45-70 has varying pressures but I guess manufacturers are more wary for hand gun cartridges

Lyman cast bullet manual, if cast is an option there, will do everything you need.

Strongly prefer cast projectiles when low velocity loads are used. Besides, lever guns are supposed to be fed cast : )

Another thumbs up for Pacos info.
Fun stuff at "levergunperformancestudies" too if you have a very limited powder selection like has become the norm these days. The cowboy guns and calibers are amazing shortage guns. They can eat everything lol.

It’s interesting isn’t it, 45-70 has varying pressures but I guess manufacturers are more wary for hand gun cartridges

I can't imagine a powder/bullet manufacturer's legal team saying it's a good idea to produce/test/publish loads ONLY to be used in rifles that are chambered in the same round that revolvers are commonly using. Seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen. It only takes one dude with a cheap Taurus to blow his hand/face up using loads only meant for rifles.

I can't imagine a powder/bullet manufacturer's legal team saying it's a good idea to produce/test/publish loads ONLY to be used in rifles that are chambered in the same round that revolvers are commonly using. Seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen. It only takes one dude with a cheap Taurus to blow his hand/face up using loads only meant for rifles.
I can see where you are coming from. Just you do see varying loads for the 45-70

Trap door safe
Marlin 1895 / Win, Browning, Miroku 1886
Ruger No.1

Very different power levels, bad news of you shoot the Ruger loads in an older trapdoor…

Maybe just how common crappy and / or older revolvers are?

I'll look here in a bit, it's been years so don't quote me but they had rifle specific data for sone pistol calibers

Reactions: Gustav7
I got some older manuals, I’ll try to get to the shop this week and pull them.

I use 4227, or 296 in my 44 mag. It is a single shot break over 16 inch barrel.

From my understanding, H110 and W296 are the same.

Lyman does in fact have rifle specific load data for 357. 44 etc just let me know what you need I can screenshot it if that's allowed or I'll type what you want out

Reactions: Gustav7