• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load data for monolithics vs cup & core

OkieMike

avowed heathen knuckle dragger
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
NE Oklahoma
Kicking around trying some monolithic bullets.

I have data for standard cup/core jacketed bullets in the same weight. But it seems like I heard that you should back off your loads for mono's... So do I start at the bottom as usual and watch for pressure? Or do I need to adjust my beginning load down as well?

Mike

Depends on the bullet, but frequently copper bullets have a higher start pressure, so if you don’t have a reference I would suggest starting the beginning load a bit lower.

Reactions: OkieMike
I've experienced the opposite, with solids having a higher starting pressure than jacketed bullets. Either way, what's worked for me over the years is to just have a look at the book values for a similar weight jacketed bullet, then play with numbers in Quickload to get a more refined range to load for, then do a 8-10 string pressure test. And in the absence of Quickload, just make sure you start with the published start value; even the lowest end with higher starting pressures will be safe.

Once you know where the pressure starts to show up, you can start loading a safe range and look at velocities.

I can run QL stats for you if you send me your specs (barrel length, cartridge, bullet, powder, COAL).

Look for similar data from the majors, Barnes, Hornady, and Nosler. I would start right in the middle of the load data, not too hot not too weak. Pay attention to bullet weight and required twist rates.

Also, remember that monolithic bullets need to jump. The rule of thumb I use and have seen around is at least 50 thousands out of the lands.

Reactions: OkieMike
Thank you for the pointers. Indebted to you all.

I don't have the bullets in hand yet, but I'm looking at the Warner Tool 180 gr Flat Line bullets for my 300 Win Mag, 26" x 1:10, using Power Pro 4000 MR. Brass, primers, COAL/Jump are still up in the air. But I'm considering Peterson brass.

Hawk, I went to Barnes' site and looked at their load data... They had info for the powder and bullet weight I am looking at loading... I won't be loading Barnes, but it gave me a good place to start.

Once again, thanks. Any other advice is welcome.

Mike

Barnes has a lot of load data, while for their bullets, it should give some insight for a similarly designed and similar weight bullet! Welcome to entering the new era of bullet design. We’ve been using Barnes Bullets exclusively since the early ‘90’s.

While there were some “growing pains” with the initial offerings by Barnes.....they quickly evolved into one of the finest bullets ever manufactured! IMO. memtb

I don't have the bullets in hand yet, but I'm looking at the Warner Tool 180 gr Flat Line bullets for my 300 Win Mag, 26" x 1:10, using Power Pro 4000 MR. Brass, primers, COAL/Jump are still up in the air. But I'm considering Peterson brass.
Flatlines are outstanding bullets, but another option to consider are the Seneca match solids from PVA. They both happened to be designed by the same guy.

Also something to just be aware of is that because these tend to be longer than similar mass bullets, they require a faster twist rate to stabilize. I assume that’s the main reason you’re looking at 180gr solids vs 198 and heavier?

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Flatlines are outstanding bullets, but another option to consider are the Seneca match solids from PVA. They both happened to be designed by the same guy.

Also something to just be aware of is that because these tend to be longer than similar mass bullets, they require a faster twist rate to stabilize. I assume that’s the main reason you’re looking at 180gr solids vs 198 and heavier?
Correct. I don't have the twist to stabilize the 198's.

I'll check out the Seneca's. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike

Are you loading any of the 241 senaca match from PVA ? I just got my 300WM barrel in 1:7 and starting to look at load options. It is custom reamed to bore rider hybrid I believe, with pilot band of the 241 touching at 4.05 or so.

I'm still waiting on a 1:7 twist barrel and have a few hundred 212s to blow through before I make the switch.

I'm still waiting on a 1:7 twist barrel and have a few hundred 212s to blow through before I make the switch.
Can i ask who is turning your barrel? I worked with PVA, but the one they had in1:7 turned out to not fit my RPR.
I ended up going to LRI, who worked extensively with me in regards to these solids and the required(?) free-bore.
I too have a bag or 2 of the 212's, but more anxious with the 241

PVA is doing my SRS barrel.
Nice. I'm interested to know what your max COAL is with the 212's upon receipt. I'll mic mine and note prior to installing if your interested in comparing notes down the line.

I'm loading the 212s to 3.91" COAL, which luckily is still inside magazine length with SRS. I'd expect the 241s to obviously be a bit longer and single feed.

Hey Dogtown, did you ever get your PVA 1:7 twist barrel ? If so, happy with your purchase?