• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Development: Bench or Prone, Bipod, rest, or Bag

jtbiv01

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2018
    Ft Walton Beach, FL
    What’s ur technique for load development/shooting tightest groups.

If bipod or bag, which do you choose.

Thanks in Advance!

Atlas bipod BT46 LW17 PSR or Harris bipod BRM-S and Crosstac rear bag. Prone position.

Prone, bipod, rear bag. I use the wiebad tac pad? (i think its called, been years since i bought it) early on I wasnt as steady with it, but over time its improved a bunch and is good practice for field shooting prone.

Jcam, do you get similar results from the atlas and the Harris? I feel a ton more stable on the atlas, but not the Harris. Harris is super quit, though.

I always do load development and site in from the bench so if I ever have to go prone to shoot it is easier to adjust my stock down then up...

Jcam, do you get similar results from the atlas and the Harris? I feel a ton more stable on the atlas, but not the Harris. Harris is super quit, though.
    I originally had the Harris on the AI. I use the Atlas on the AI now. It seems like the results are similar if I kept the fundamentals. I do prefer the Atlas at this time. The Harris can be deployed quickly. The Atlas has more positions and maneuverability.

FWIW, I had an Atlas BT10 and the Harris BRM-S. I sold my Atlas as I like the Harris better. It wasn't that the one was more stable, but the Harris easier and faster to deploy.

Bipod - Atlas CAL Gen2, rear bag - pint size Gamechanger , prone.

Site in/Zero is at 100 yards

Load Development is at 200-300 yards

I site in off bench then go prone to double check and do load work

I shoot bench, bipod, rear bag for load development. This because that's how I shoot normally. I try to gt my load development process down so it duplicates, as much as possible, the way the load will be used in actual practice. Develop at 100yd, confirm at 200yd/300yd; compute drops at each distance.

Greg

Bipod up front seems the pervasive solution everywhere I look, for short or long distance.

I thought using a sandbag both front and read was more stable. Why is everyone using a bipod on their stock for accuracy?

I usually do my initial test from a bench.
    bipod and bag.
    mainly looking at speeds

I do my final testing prone at distance with a bipod and bag.

I’m considering getting an F class type front and rear setup for load development.

Load development is typically for finding the best load for the rifle. After that, I can work on making that rifle/load work properly with me (the weak link) behind it.

Reactions: supercorndogs
    Bipod up front seems the pervasive solution everywhere I look, for short or long distance.

I thought using a sandbag both front and read was more stable. Why is everyone using a bipod on their stock for accuracy?

Mainly because it’s what everyone has and is easily able to be precise enough to get the job done.

It’s also a way to get in some practice at the same time. Which depending on how you look at it could be a good or bad thing.

Atlas bipod, game changer OG in the rear. Prone if I’m on our long range steel range, bench if I’m feeling lazy and don’t feel like opening the 1000 yard.

I think many here would agree that you should do load development in whichever position/setup you consider to be your "best" or most consistent shooting position. In this way you remove as much shooter error as possible from your testing.

I used to do my development from a bench with front and rear bags, but that was a mistake. My absolute most stable and consistent position is prone, with a properly loaded bipod, and a quality rear bag. I do all my development like this now, and its really just a very fundamentally stable position once you have practiced it and become comfortable in it.

If I am doing down and dirty Initial Load Development, I don't set a target. Just shoot into the berm, because the data is the MV.
    Once I have done Initial Development, I still chrono, but set a target at 100 with 1" dots or stars to check the groups. I chrono with a Labradar, so there is no POI shift from the Magnetospeed bayonet.
    Once I have a load determined, I prepare 30 rounds. 10 shot over chrono. 10 shot over chrono. 5 shot for precision. 5 shot for zero. Use front bag and rear mini bag, prone.