• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

load development for 5R Milspec

ashleyover

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2014
Hello to all

Just got a new 5R set up

Best load so far is lake city brass
Filled with 43 grains of Varget driving a
175 SMK I dont have a crono and wonder if anyone knows approx velocity of this combination

Accuracy had been a best of .28" 3 shot group
Thank you

Ashleyover

You can easily reverse calculate your MV. Shoot a target at distance, note your environmental conditions and come ups. Plug all your info in to a ballistic calculator like thishttp://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi and play with the velocity until the calculators come ups match yours.

Or.... You can use the Trueing drop option in your Horus ATRAG or applied ballistics calculators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also when Trueing it is best to do it at a distance that is close to lead edge of transonic flight

thanks to all for the input

it seems 2600 fps is a sweet spot
for the 175 bullet

i have a good sharp ZERO so i will try some 300 yard shots and calculate
speed based on bullet drop

thanks

load development for 5R Milspec

I don't know what fgmm uses for powder but in their 175 smk factory load it's 43.4 grains. I'm guessing they use reloader 15. They leave my barrel at 2645. I also use varget at 43.9 was my node in my gun and it's like 2665 out of 24"

Last edited: