• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Development Range

Jeff808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2010
Maui, Hawaii
Hello everyone! Just wanted some info on at what range do you all develop your loads at? Does it matter what range you develop loads? Currently I'm developing loads @ 100 yds. I'm thinking 200 yds. is more reasonable.

Thank:)

Re: Load Development Range

100 yards is a good place to start. But if you are shooting 1000 yards, you'll probably need to do a little fine tuning AT THAT RANGE.

What caliber and bullet are you shooting? If it's for long range shooting, then 300 yards is normal. For hunting, I normally do 100 or 200 yards. If it's a heavy-for-caliber-bullet (208 or 210 grain in a .308), then I'd do it at 300 yards.

Chad thanks for the info: as for the cal. I'm shooting it's a .308 and using Berger 168gr heads. And yes looking to do some long range shooting, probably only out to 800 yards. The problem is though I only have access to a 200 yd range, living in Hawaii kinda bites sometimes ehh.

If 200's all you got, I'd do it there. That's where I do the majority of mine. I'll do 300 or more if the conditions let me.

I start off at 100 then go to 250 yards, and fine tune from there. What ever distance is best in your area. Good shooting

Below is a method to develope a load at 100 yds and prove the selected rounds at 300 yds.

There are methods to developed loads; one is the OPTIMAL CHARGE WEIGHT method http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ which IMO is the best. After you find the common POI point of impact and the optimum charge weight, you then will tune the OCW load by ajusting the seating depht.

Might seem a little confusing a first but it real is simple and fast. In about 20 rnds you will learn allot read and study the information from the link then do a search here, there are several threads. If you decide to use this method do it like it is written until you have a couple of years loading under you belt.

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/ Is a web site that people who use this method post to to exchange information, you can post if you need help with results of you test. Its back to the old thing you have to do the work to understand the process. If you just select loads from other peoples work you will miss an oppertunity to learn a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If 200's all you got, I'd do it there. </div></div>
+1

Foe LR I like to go out to 200 for load testing, as differences become more apparent out there.

However, it also helps to so the 200yd testing under the lightest wind coditions possible. When winds are whippin' I move in to about 70yd.

Greg