• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development - suppressed or not?

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    Is it best to do initial load development on a new load / rifle with it suppressed or unsuppressed? Or is there a difference? I would imagine the OCW would change some depending on if there was 11oz of titanium hanging off the end of the barrel. My plan is to shoot probably 75% suppressed and the rest not. I'm just trying to understand if I will need to do two different OCW test with and without the can? TIA.

The only load development I've done expressly omitting a muzzle device was when the projectile stability was not guaranteed with a particularly long projectile and "marginal" twist rate. I ran a load up over a chronograph until there were signs of excessive pressure (no existing load data for that powder/projectile/cartridge). Once I confirmed that the bullets were impacting the target pointy-end first, I then re-installed the muzzle device and continued load development as I intended to shoot the rifle.

If you are shooting suppressed 75% of the time then do your load development that way. Once you have a good load, remove the suppressor, fire a group and note the POI difference In angular units (MOA or Mils), if any. Incorporate this difference into your calculations whenever shooting unsuppressed.

Define in majority use configuration.
    Test and know minority use configuration differences.

Costs you a few rds, minor cost in big picture.