• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Load Development with and without Suppressor?

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
Finally was able to take possession of my TBAC 30P-1 (only took 14 months) *and* my new AR-10 (.260 Remington).

My question is: Do loads need to be created for use with the silencer and for use without the silencer? (Only interested in accuracy; not subsonic).

Thank you,
Richard

I am not saying that it can't happen, but I have never had an issue working up a load with a suppressor on a rifle that had any negative results. This has been the result over many semi auto and bolt action platforms chambered in 260, 223/556, 308, 300 blk and 300wm (with all of those in semi auto and bolt guns except 300wm). Having said that, the only times I shoot unsuppressed is when in a state that doesn't allow suppressor use while hunting but I have verified accuracy with each load in each rifle without a suppressor attached with zero negative consequences.

My good friend and gunsmith had some issues with using a really slow burn rate powder like Retumbo and a shorter barrel. His 22" 7mm with the can on was holding unburt powder and causing a 2nd ignition inside the can causing crazy accuacy issues. I think he switched to H1000 and the issues went away. I dont know all the details but this is the only issue I have ever heard of. I have also heard of guys picking up 10-30fps with the can installed vs. it off on the same load. Im still waiting my 14 month term so I really dont know.

A really trick software called QuickLOAD exists. Given it has limitations, you can determine how much powder will burn in a particular barrel length, along with a million other things. You can also use one of the features to determine which powder will have the ideal burn rate for your desired velocity, barrel length, etc. Use of a program like this will speed up your decision process to avoid pushing unburned powder down the barrel.

You can develop them either way. I personally develop them with the can on these days as that's typically the only way I'm shooting anymore. The only time I wouldn't develop with the can on is with subsonics, which it sounds like you're not interested in anyways.

I do my initial load workup without suppressor and have never had a decrease in accuracy when the suppressor is attached. I usually have an accuracy INCREASE with it on there. Calibers: .308, 300WM, .243.

Geb

Ill spec out what I am doing and then ask some questions, TBAC 338P-1 for 300WM 26"barrel 208grHBN coated AMAX Retumbo powder magneto speed V1. I am expecting 3-4 months left on form4 for the suppressor

does a suppressor change the harmonics for load development in terms of doing a ladder test to find the node? does a suppressor change how one load develops?

is there a round-about number I can add to the muzzle velocity from un-suppressed to suppressed? I have a magneto speed v1 and cant measure the suppressed velocity

what I am getting at is it worth waiting a couple month for the suppressor to load develop,(I wont be load developing for a month or two anyway) or just load develop un-suppressed?

No go do your load testing now. You can always add a tenth of a grain up or down once you get your can.

Xdeano

I would do load development without the can in case you come up with a load that might be unstable and ending up with a keyhole on the target. That would cause a baffle strike.

Reactions: colorado_native
The last two 6.5x47s Ive owned have never even been shot without a can. Even the barrel break in shots.