• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development with suppressor

Pickle Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
I’ve had a problem child Howa 308. I finally got it shooting great with Staball match and the 178. Next time out (with my new suppressor) groups opened up. I’m starting to think that the previous small groups were a fluke. Anyone ever tweak a load for suppressor? My 6.5C shot same load lights out. I understand harmonics so please don’t try and mansplain that for me lol (sorry I’m used to ARFCOM). It could also be I clean down to bare metal right before the good groups. Yea just can’t give up on this gun. I’m stubborn.

How does the gun shoot without the suppressor? Could be harmonics. Could be a fluke. May need to “settle in” after cleaning. There’s not enough information to really say anything- without going into barrel harmonics anyway…🤣

But, yeah, I’m in the process of tweaking a load for a suppressed 7mm mag. And, I have a 6.5 creedmoor that shoots like shit with a suppressor. You know what I do with that one? I run a big fat brake. Shoots lights out.

How does the gun shoot without the suppressor? Could be harmonics. Could be a fluke. May need to “settle in” after cleaning. There’s not enough information to really say anything- without going into barrel harmonics anyway…🤣

But, yeah, I’m in the process of tweaking a load for a suppressed 7mm mag. And, I have a 6.5 creedmoor that shoots like shit with a suppressor. You know what I do with that one? I run a big fat brake. Shoots lights out.
Well it historically shot like shit. So what did I do? Bought a chassis for it lol Didn’t improve much so I JB bore pasted it. Then I tried Staball match and it shot great (unsuppressed). Took it out after I got the silencer with same loads. Dog shit.

Well it historically shot like shit. So what did I do? Bought a chassis for it lol Didn’t improve much so I JB bore pasted it. Then I tried Staball match and it shot great (unsuppressed). Took it out after I got the silencer with same loads. Dog shit.
Did you shoot it with and without the suppressor on the same range trip? If not, not enough data. If so, check for baffle/end cap strike. If no strike, roll barrel harmonics lecture footage…

Did you shoot it with and without the suppressor on the same range trip? If not, not enough data. If so, check for baffle/end cap strike. If no strike, roll barrel harmonics lecture footage…
No baffle strikes. And no I only loaded up for suppressed test. Going to try different charge weights next.

No baffle strikes. And no I only loaded up for suppressed test. Going to try different charge weights next.
Take (at least) 10 of your “known good load” and shoot them unsuppressed as a sanity check before shooting suppressed. Shoot few to get warm, then shoot a group “for record.” Think of this as “ground truth” for the rifle. Then add the suppressor and fire off your “test loads.” If they look like shit, remove the can and go back to the “ground truth” loads and shoot another group. Is it the same as when you started? The ability to remove test variables will help to figure out where the test is going awry.

Before running down the rabbit hole of a whole new load, consider a seating depth test with your known good load as the base line.

Reactions: XP1K
Usually it shoots the same or better with a can. I agree with hlee above. When i develope loads for a suppressed gun i do so with the can on the whole time. Start with a ocw then seating depth then fine powder adjustment for best sd.

Reactions: JFR
Usually it shoots the same or better with a can. I agree with hlee above. When i develope loads for a suppressed gun i do so with the can on the whole time. Start with a ocw then seating depth then fine powder adjustment for best sd.
“Usually shoots same or better with a can” this is my thinking too. But I’m starting to think that this might be “on average” versus vs specific load?

Reactions: M4orturnate
What can are you running? If it's not a "flow through" design you're upping back pressure big time and could have pushed your load out of a node. Other option is if it's too heavy for the length and profile of your barrel you are inducing some not fun harmonics. Think pool noodle with a hammer hanging off the end of it.

What can are you running? If it's not a "flow through" design you're upping back pressure big time and could have pushed your load out of a node. Other option is if it's too heavy for the length and profile of your barrel you are inducing some not fun harmonics. Think pool noodle with a hammer hanging off the end of it.
Sandman S on a fat chode barrel. Next time out going to test different charges

Interesting. That is a pretty low pressure can but may still be enough to throw off your load. Maybe try addressing the powder charge? Have you chronographed with and without? Have you tried any factory ammo?

Reactions: Ryanjohnson86
I had this happen with my first TBAC can. Turned out that I had been spoiled with the brake and quicker recoil pulse. Once I tightened up my fundamentals, my groups tightened back up to where they were.

How many times did it shoot great? Have you checked the basics like scope base, rings, etc? I have never had a can throw a load out from good to shit.