• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development with Tuner brake

Danimal35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2020
I tried to search but couldn't find what I was looking for and maybe because the answer is too obvious and I'm just too inexperienced to realized it.

Does load development change with a tuner?
current load development for me has been to ladder test with different powder charges and find a consistent velocity node and then look at grouping to decide best load. Then I may do a ladder test with bullet seating depth. At what point in this step would I do the "tuning" with the brake?

It kind of sounds like I could almost pick any charge and seating depth and then "tune" the harmonics for best grouping but that sounds entirely too simple to be true.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure this has been covered already.

It’s actually NOT too simple to be true. It’s simple, and it’s true.

Assuming you’re loading for PRS, hunting, or plinking, not loading for F-class or benchrest:

Choose a powder charge to achieve your desired mv, set your seating depth, and tune harmonics w your tuner

The mv “flat spot” node was put to bed in a different thread a few weeks ago. Using adequate sample size the true repeatable flat spot node happens so rarely as to be a non-issue for most reloaders. Three-five rounds just isn’t sufficient and can actually be misleading.

I’ll be using it for PRS. I just purchased a .223 to train with and need to make a load. Looking like around 23gr cfe223 with a 77 gr SMK. It came with a EC tuner.